U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,061 times

Advertisements

My husband's dad, uncle and aunt grew up in Eugene!
We live out of state... so the internet is my means of research.
We'd like to have 5 acres or so and homestead.

We've been looking to buy a home in Lane County. I've seen some affordable places but they are in unincorporated towns.

What I've read is that they are not as safe.
That the sheriff has to respond from Eugene then I wonder if burglars target unincorporated areas? Farms? etc... I read on this forum of the car thefts!

I've read on the Lane County site that they have the highest property crime rates in the USA 2006?
It is the seconds largest county in Oregon said my husband.

Is living rurally a way to go? Especially near the public park lands?

Cheerio!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM

29 posts, read 85,925 times
You can look up crime stats online. I did a quick glance and it looks like around 4,000 crimes reported in unincorperated areas of lane county, versus around 24,000 in eugene. You'd have to correlate that against population to get a crime rate of course, and I have no idea what the population of unincorperated lane county is, but I'd guess not that much lower than eugene proper. So it would seem, rural areas would be subject to less crime.

This would be pretty much what you'd expect. Most crimes are crimes of opportunity. Your car is sitting out with an ipod on the seat, a criminal walking by sees easy pickings. In rural areas, there aren't as many eyes on your stuff. And if you're on a larger plot of land, your posessions aren't so visible to people driving by either. Now that said, it doesn't preclude crime in rural areas. If you have a $50,000 car parked outside and a criminal happens to be driving around, well, that's likely to make a compelling reason. But most crimes happen in dense population areas because there's a lot more opportunity.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:35 PM

30 posts, read 121,004 times
If you plan to live as you say "homestead" on five acres... then this means you will have several weapons and large dogs to protect yourself from mountain lions, bears and big foot... This should also be sufficient deterrent to any would be criminals…

Old 08-23-2009, 04:00 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,165,313 times
Steve Miller is right, except for the slight exagerration of big foot! Lane County is safe. There are some issues here with homelessness & druggies but the negative potential isn't really high. Junction City is a really pretty area with really nice acreage lots. If I had my move to OR to do over again: I'd be in JC. It's less.... forgive me for my brashness here... hick than I percieve Veneta to be. And it isn't really very far from Eugene.

Another place to consider, which is closer to Eugene: Lorane. It's accessible from streets going to W. 11th & I think Lorane Hwy goes right into the south east heart of town to 28th or 29th (they converge - all 3 - so I get it all mixed up in my slow mouse way).

I have a relative of a relative who lives in Lorane & her acreage is like an estate. Her partner is a retired landscape engineer - her property is like a "park" & the house is HUGE with views to die for.

Look at some of my previous posts & you'll see where I have a tip on buying a house before it goes into foreclosure: maybe my tip can help you.

Lane County is awesome. I really wish I'd grown up here or at least moved here sooner. It's slow, warm hearted, peaceful & sssooo relaxing.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-23-2009 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: slow computer - fudged formatting

Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,165,313 times
Rethinking where I would have moved to if I could do it over: Pleasant Hill would be a consideration, also. Ken Kesey's descendants live there! And some other people I know of, who are very nice & professional, like the Keseys.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 PM

6,061 posts, read 14,066,239 times
Ditto Pleasant Hill and Lorane. Love Lorane especially. We like Coburg, too... and it's even much closer in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area