Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 08:22 AM

246 posts, read 1,073,516 times

Advertisements

We just moved up to the Santa Clara area. Any suggestions on a great neighborhood to take the kiddos trick-or-treating? Our neighborhood has literally no streetlights and wouldn't be that safe. One of the towns we used to live in used to block off an entire street and everyone would go there and it was a great time. Anything like that? Thanks in advance for the heads up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Dang - I am sorry I missed this... I have been ignoring these boards for a bit. We could have totally t&t'd together if you would have wanted to! We didn't really know where to go, either, this year.

We've only had like 4 Halloween's in Eugene. The first year we were here we went to the Sheldon Community Center and it was OK... it was geared more toward the pre-school set I think, but it was still fun with games and prizes and swimming and things. The spaghetti dinner was good. The second and third year we had events going on at school and stuff and we actually didn't trick or treat, we just dressed up and the kids partied and ate candy and treats that they were given at school. This year we ended up trick or treating at the Valley River Center mall. There were lots of people there so you got to see lots of fun costumes, and it was a safe place for families. We stayed warm and dry and the kids got lots of candy and we went home happy. It was totally crowded though... way crowded!

We're thinking next year we might have a Halloween party at home. Opting for a more wholesome Halloween celebration of some sort. I'm looking at like two huge canvas grocery bags full of candy and wondering if the kids would even notice if I started throwing away like 30 pieces a day while they're at school so we get rid of it faster!

What did everybody else do for Halloween?

Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 PM

351 posts, read 1,283,697 times
That is ANTI-AMERICAN ...... especially the ones that contain CHOCOLATE ..... the sugar candies (IE: the cheap Brachs) are fine to toss

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I'm looking at like two huge canvas grocery bags full of candy and wondering if the kids would even notice if I started throwing away like 30 pieces a day while they're at school so we get rid of it faster!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:06 PM

LOL!!! That would've been fun! We ended up in the neighborhood around 20th and Agate near the college. There's a school there that we kind of ended up going right around it, but I never did figure out which school that was. There were a lot of houses with porch lights on and everyone was friendly. The best part was.....there was no cheapo candy! EVERYONE gave out candybars and all the good stuff. I swear not one piece of kiddie mix was in the kids' bags. I made fabric halloween trick-or-treat bags a couple years ago and they've never ever filled them (and they're not that big really) because they poop out before they can get enough to fill them. Well, this year I brought along a plastic shopping bag just in case for some reason and it's a good thing because the kids filled their bags up three times each! I was so excited for them because trick-or-treating isn't what it was when I was a kid, filling up entire pillowcases with our loot, and you're lucky to find neighborhoods with enough lights on to make it worth the walk. We drove around town for about half an hour before we even found any ghosts and goblins, but we finally did and it was wonderful for them! Yes....we have WAY too much candy at this house now. I'll feed it to the neighborhood kids and send them home to have their sugar rushes. MUAHAHAHHAHAAA!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:59 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Oh my gosh... I'm so not Anti-American... I didn't think of it that way. lol

Are you kidding? The chocolate ones my husband is totally hiding for himself... he's got his own little stash... even took a big bagful to work with him. I mean seriously, that's one of the reasons he wanted to have children in the first place - so he could ...ummm... benefit? profit?... from his kids Halloween candy. It's all these stupid lollipops and jolly ranchers really that I can't stand. Especially since one of my kids has braces! And especially since they somehow always manage to get broken up into bits and stuck into the carpet. Eeeew!

j4j - you're so mean! Can I steal you're idea, though? It's a good one!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM

LOL!!! Absolutely!!! Us parents have to stick together! You know...it's a requirement to "test" the candy and make sure it's safe before the kids can have it! LOL!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,049,009 times
we did the mall, then several houses and ended up w/a ton of candy too. Now, since I went to all that work to get the costumes, make the kids up, then take them all over, I get to take my own bowl, and pick through everything, filling my bowl first and getting all my favs. Then, hubby goes next since he also had to stay behind and man the house, missing out on coming with us (lucky guy!!!) then, the kids get to pick out their favs, and I take a big ole bag of stuff to work w/me where it disappears quickly. Life is good.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 AM

NICE! I've been behaving with the candy for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area