U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 PM

115 posts, read 144,493 times

Advertisements

I heard they usually dont like Californians and I dont see it being any better for New Yorkers, especially from NYC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 12:22 AM

77 posts, read 280,127 times
Hi NYC,
I find the people in Oregon to be pretty accepting. The thing about Californians is that some of them move here and talk endlessly about how great California is and that really upsets people here, we are very loyal and proud of our state. That and the pretentiousness.
I've known some people who've moved here from NY and the east coast w/o a problem and been happy. It's a nice place to live. Portland is a small city though, are you ready for that? It's a big change from NYC!

Old 11-29-2008, 04:29 PM

115 posts, read 144,493 times
Definitely ready. I hate NYC because its so big, hyperactive, and I hate being on a crowded subway almost everyday. I used to love it. I think some love it because with all this hyperactivity they may feel like they are more part of life or humanity. I used to but now i feel the opposite. But in the end its hard to be content here.

Portland might be smaller but it seems to offer quite a lot.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,830,171 times
hey WWIL... I guess you kind of got your answer when only one person replied, huh? I think the hype surrounding that OR people not liking CA people thing is just that, a lot of hype. It's kind of more a joke than anything serious. I'm a transplant (from TX though, not NY or CA) and people have been wonderful to us. Actually, we did move here from CA, but we had only been in CA for a year. Anyway... I wouldn't worry about it.

One thing I personally see happening is a lot of Californians selling (or trying to sell) their really expensive properties in California, and moving up here to OR and WA and buying up land and properties, and then turning them into things that I saw when we lived in California. Perhaps if there is genuine resentment towards Californians, it stems from that. There are certainly parts of Oregon and Washington state that we have watched go from lovely forested land or older homes with lovely character and color, to condo developments or cheaply-built pseudo-craftsman wannabe homes built too small and too close together but with mad-crazy asking prices. That is very depressing to watch and live around. If I were a native Oregonian, that would hurt me... but I guess since I'm sorta new here still (going on 4 years) and because I've seen it happening much worse in other parts of the country, it doesn't really bother me as much here. It bothers me, just not as much somehow.

Anyway... I've spent some time in NYC... I felt like I couldn't breathe. I felt really dirty, like I needed a shower everytime I had gone outside. There wasn't any green... and even the parks that we did visit were not really parks like I was used to... too many people, too many paved sidewalks... too much trash. It's a really loud city. I think as long as you prepare yourself for the culture shock, you would really benefit from the change. Good luck to you!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM

22,431 posts, read 29,861,373 times
Quote:
I heard they usually dont like Californians and I dont see it being any better for New Yorkers, especially from NYC.
You'd be fine in Portland or any other part of Oregon.

The anti Cali thing dates back to Governor Tom McCall for reasons others have mentioned here.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:19 PM

295 posts, read 613,128 times
It sounds like Portland is just what you're looking for. Portland has all the urban amenities that you want on a much smaller scale than NYC, except without the crowds, rudeness and fast pace. Downtown Portland and NW Portland are the areas with the most urban feel, but you will begin to like other parts of the city as you acclimate. I now live in NYC after living in Portland for seven years and miss it very much. It's hard to readjust to the East Coast after living out West for a long time, but the reverse is a piece of cake. The worst part of NYC is the people who think it's the greatest and every other place is inferior--and I got them in my own family, ugh ....will be out west again as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: