Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 11:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,169 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering the Eugene area and it sounds really great I just have a couple of concerns. How much does it really rain? My wife is a sunny weather person and I was just wondering if it rains all year or if there is a certian season for it. Also we are moving from Tulsa, Oklahoma and our allergies are bad here so I was wondering how Eugene compares. Any information is helpful Eugene looks great and there is a possible job there for me we just don't want to be too water logged and sneezy. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:04 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,454,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMT73 View Post
My wife and I are considering the Eugene area and it sounds really great I just have a couple of concerns. How much does it really rain? My wife is a sunny weather person and I was just wondering if it rains all year or if there is a certian season for it. Also we are moving from Tulsa, Oklahoma and our allergies are bad here so I was wondering how Eugene compares. Any information is helpful Eugene looks great and there is a possible job there for me we just don't want to be too water logged and sneezy. Thanks.
There is a precipitation season and a dry season. It is dry and sunny from June to October and wet from November to about mid-April. There is a transitional period of intermittent rain and sun in late spring/early summer. There is a faulty assumption in your question, though. You seem to be presuming that it will be sunny if it's not raining. That might be true in the continental climate of the Great Plains states, but it's not the case in maritime climates on the West Coast. As measured from dawn-to-dusk precipitation totals on overcast days, it rains about 8% of the time. This means that on overcast days, it's not raining 92% of the time. But it's not sunny either. That's why people say it's not the RAIN, it's the GLOOM. From about mid-November until at least April, the sun is obscured for long periods by thick scuds of clouds that persist because of low pressure systems off the Pacific coast. Sometimes there's also rain, sometimes it's just mist, but most of the time there's no precipitation at all...just gray skies. In summer, the clouds disappear as a stable high pressure system builds off the north Pacific.

As to allergies, it depends on what your specific triggers are. What is it in Oklahoma that you're allergic too?

Old 04-11-2009, 03:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,169 times
Default wow thanks

thank you so much, that was extremely informative! we're mostly allergic to ragweed, pollen and mold.we can deal with allergies tho, as long as it's not too ridiculous. we were more concerned with the lack of sunshine. also, are the towns around eugene pretty ok areas to live? i have seen that the cost of living is cheaper than eugene in some of the close outlying areas.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,348,196 times
If either of you have mold allergies, neither Portland nor Eugene is the place for you. My pulmonogist has been trying to get me to move to a drier climate or at least not as wet and moldy as it is here for years.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:42 AM

700 posts, read 2,590,741 times
Mold can be bad in Eugene, because of ...you guessed it rain (moisture) buildup during the "wet season"
The above poster is very accurate about the rain, it does not rain all the time despite the urban legend, however it is in a valley and the clouds to tend to get low, gray and they hang out. There are many places that rain more then Eugene in pure volume, however Eugene gets "mizzle" (mist/drizzle) for extended periods of time in late fall through early spring. It is a marine/ coastal climate (basically) and the valley likes to hold it in...

The late spring, summers and about a minute in fall however are spectacular! One of the best spots in my opinion.

Have you ever considered a bit further south? Ashland has some of the qualities of Eugene, though smaller and a bit warmer in summer, but can get snow in winter. And there are some areas of Oregon that are nice...Bend is one. Just some thought.
If Mrs. EMT73 is a sun worshiper, I would caution you....not scare you, just caution.

Good Luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 AM

3 posts, read 9,471 times
Mold and pollen allergens can significantly reduced by using a liquid ioniser if that's what is contributing to your decision to move

Old 04-16-2009, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 33,937 times
I was born and raised in oregon. lived there for about 20 years. the place is one of the most beautiful I have lived in. but the hay fever is a killer. this is one of the main reasons why I left there to live elsewhere.

I only got hay fever for 2 months of the year. but during those 2 months, I went through hell. even with a "special" shot from the doctor, I still suffered. it got so bad, the insides of my ears itch. that's how bad it got.

when I moved to california, the hay fever disappearred totally. I lived in the bay area for 20 years.

and now I live in bangkok, thailand. no hay fever here either. but it sure gets hot here.

my 2 cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area