U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 14,365 times

Advertisements

Thanks to everyone for all the great insight into Eugene. I'm so glad I found this site. My wife and 19 month old daughter are considering a move to Eugene from Colorado. While we love Colorado we are getting tired of the long cold winters and short growing season. I am currently in Nursing school and will be graduating in May and will be eligible to get my RN license at that point.
So I have a few questions I hope can be answered.
1. Any insight into the local hospitals and whether or not they have new grad positions??
2. Any other nurses move to Oregon?? How hard/easy was the process of transferring your license?
2. How is the air quality?? How is the city water quality??
3. Any alternative schools, such as charter, waldorf, or montessoris? Reputations of these schools?
4. Any good mountain biking in the area?
5. Any strange or annoying laws that you think about?
6. Any midwives in the area?
We're open-minded, nonreligious, "liberal", outdoorsy, and sustainable-minded. We really want to move to a place that would be good to raise a family and have lots of other similar parents to interact with. The rain will be a big change for us. We had over 330 days of sunshine a year in Colorado, but we have lived in northern ca. previously so are not new to lots of rain. Any insight and info you can give us would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 12:12 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,887,009 times
My husband and I moved to Bend, OR from Colorado in July. He's an RN and didn't seem to have any problems getting a license here in OR. I don't know specifically about the hospitals in Eugene, but from our experience (we did travel nursing for a year), almost every hospital in the country is hiring nurses. As a new grad you may have to work the night shift, but if you can do it, you usually make more money. Oregon nurses are union, so the wages are much better than CO.

There is some great mountain biking in Central Oregon where we live. It's about 3 hours from Eugene. I don't know about biking in that part of the state. If you can deal with the weather coming from CO, you will fit in great in Eugene. We couldn't deal with the rainy weather, so Bend was a better fit for us.

Eugene is a very liberal, hippie city, so I'm sure there are plenty of midwives, alternative schools, organic food stores, etc.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 PM

Thanks for the info, delta07. did you move from Delta, CO?

We're planning a trip out there in March. I'm going to apply to some hospitals before the trip and will hopefully be able to do some interviews and tours while we are out there. I'm not really worried about getting a job in general. I'm more worried about getting a job in the field I want to get into. As a new grad I won't be too picky and I'm willing to work any shift, but I'm hoping some of my past experience can get me into an ER or ICU position. We'll see.

Would love to hear from people who work at the hospitals in Eugene and Corvallis. Anything you could tell me about the hospitals would be greatly appreciated. Can't wait to come visit in March. Getting very excited about graduating and getting my license.

Still want to know about Mtn. Biking around Eugene and Corvallis.

Thanks again!!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
We are also thinking of moving to Eugene, OR in later June. I am a travel RT. How many hospitals are there is a 25 mile radius? thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,825,025 times
Hey there... I can't answer any of the nursing/hospital questions, but I can try to answer your other questions based on our experience as a happily transplanted family here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreetogo View Post
2. How is the air quality?? How is the city water quality??
The air quality I've heard is not-so-good during certain parts of the year due to the geography (air gets trapped since we're in a valley), but our water is excellent. Eugene tap water is among the best in the nation. I'm not really sure the air is that bad, though. My son had problems with asthma in all the other places we've lived... yet in Eugene he has never had a problem. My husband also has always had very bad year-round allergies. In Eugene, he only has problems with the cottonwood in the Spring.

Quote:
3. Any alternative schools, such as charter, waldorf, or montessoris? Reputations of these schools?
Yes! There are many different options here for children's education. One which has recently grabbed my attention is: http://www.connectionsacademy.com/

We have been here for a few years and I'm still discovering new alternatives to the more traditional public and private schools. Our kids currently attend great little public schools at the elementary and middle school levels, but we are considering alternatives for next year. If you plan to live within the Eugene city limits, the school district link is: 4J-Eugene School District 4J Home Page

We are mostly happy with the public schools here. We have only two real concerns... 1. the math curriculum (they use the Investigations Math curriculum... aka "new math") and 2. the very liberal environment. "Liberal" in Oregon is different than anywhere else I've ever lived. I spend a lot of time volunteering in the classrooms and it's always amazing to me how very little discipline or order there is. For some kids, they seem oblivious to the chaos, but my kids seem to need more structure, consistency, and order... All of the talk-outs and noise and clutter and distractions and whatnot going on in the classrooms each year have been very frustrating for them. That's why we are seeking alternatives for next school year. Maybe it's just the really large class sizes, or just children being raised differently - without being taught to behave respectfully... but it's just a very different sort of environment than what we are familiar with coming from Texas where things there were more strict, structured, and orderly. If you didn't respect your teacher or if you acted out in Texas, you got sent to the Principal's office. Here, nothing really happens. It's just tolerated or overlooked. Also things like penmanship, and grammar... it's just very different here... the expectations. Sorry... I've kind of gone off on a ramble here...

Quote:
4. Any good mountain biking in the area?
Yes! Also some very nearby, sweet little drives... here's a link: Oregon Mountain Bike Trails

Quote:
5. Any strange or annoying laws that you think about?
Some people seem weirded out by the "You Can't Pump Your Own Gas" law... but most people who live here love it. Including my family. Especially on really cold wet days when you have kiddo's... it's lovely not to have to get yourself or your kidlets out of the car.

Quote:
6. Any midwives in the area?
Yes! Check this site: OregonMidwifery Home
Also: Oregon Birth Centers

Quote:
We're open-minded, nonreligious, "liberal", outdoorsy, and sustainable-minded. We really want to move to a place that would be good to raise a family and have lots of other similar parents to interact with. The rain will be a big change for us. We had over 330 days of sunshine a year in Colorado, but we have lived in northern ca. previously so are not new to lots of rain. Any insight and info you can give us would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Sounds like you'd like Eugene... You sound similar to us, only we're from Texas. (We also lived in norcal)... The rain really isn't so bad. This Fall and Winter so far has been especially sunny and beautiful! The colors this Fall were awesome. Texas actually gets more rain than this part of Oregon. There does come a time, generally in March or April usually, when I feel like I need to escape to some sunny tropical island sort of place. It's early Spring, I think, that is the toughest for people who come here from sunnier locales... But then just when you think you can't take another grey day - the sun pops out. And the Spring here is so wonderful... just beautiful... and the Summer's are why everybody lives out here. At least that's what I think! The Summer's are the best!

Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 PM

I forgot to mention - for schools... Eugene was the first city in the nation to have a Japanese language immersion public school... the Japanese Immersion school seems to have a very good reputation. There's also a Spanish Immersion school as well as a French Immersion school.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks so much for all the info.
Are you supposed to tip the gas pumpers??
Well, Eugene is sounding very good so far, can't wait to get out there and check it out for ourselves. The only downside so far seems to be the crime. Eugene rates higher than the national average which seems a little odd. I guess it is mostly related to thefts. Why do you think it is so bad in Eugene??

Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times
We retired from the Military and were on our way to Washington state since they don't have property tax but we stopped in Eugene for a evening before heading up. That morning we woke up looked around and we have now been here settled 17 years. What I love about it, is that in 1 hour, i can go to the beach, 1 hour to the snow, 1 can go mountain climbing, camping, walking, biking and so on. The crime rate is breaking into cars. That seems to be the thing. I have had my vehicle broken into 3 times and twice i know i left the door unlocked. But I don't think Eugene is as bad as people make it out to be. I think if the crime rate is up, it's only because in the last 10 years Eugene has grown so much. Currently many people are out of work but there is alot of people helping each other to get by. I spent 4 years living in Hawaii, 2 years in louisiana, 2 years in Washington State and 25 years in California and 6 years in Texas. all in all I would still choose Eugene. If someone broke into my home i would say Eugene does have a high crime rate, but not being affected I say NO for now.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:14 AM

[quote=cddel;8397974]We retired from the Military and were on our way to Washington state since they don't have property tax .../quote]

Huh?

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,884,498 times
[quote=haggardhouseelf;8428288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddel View Post
We retired from the Military and were on our way to Washington state since they don't have property tax .../quote]

Huh?
I know Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but the property tax thing is a new one.

Any truth to it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area