U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 01:42 PM

128 posts, read 412,070 times

Advertisements

I greatly appriciate all who answer. My question is regarding the University of Oregon or Oregon State. Im a freshman at a small private university in New York, and I am considering transferring out there. I just wanna get to my questions.
1. How is Eugene? A big city? Crime?
2. How is Corvallis? How does it compare to Eugene?
3. Is is "easy" to get into the University of Oregon or Oregon State?
4. What is life like at either of these two schools?
5. What are the people like on campus?
6. What is the acceptance rate of each school?
7. Does it really rain all the time in Oregon?
8. How cold is it in the winter? coming from the Northeast were used to blizzards and snow storms, so the snow isnt something unique to me.

Thanks to all who answer. Im really considering joining the Pac-10 for academics. Anyone who can tell me anything about either school would be greatly appriciated. Thaks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,816,888 times
Hey there... I'm in Eugene. I can't answer the University/College related questions as I've not attended either of those schools, but I'll try to give some input for your other questions...

Eugene and Corvallis are both great towns. Wikipedia has some great info on both towns. I would venture to say that Eugene is a bit more liberal and Corvallis more conservative, but both are equally open and welcoming to all kinds of people.

Recently Corvallis was rated one of the safest cities in the nation. Eugene... well recently it's had some issues unfortunately. From what I understand Eugene has always had theft issues, and recently it seems things are getting worse. If you move here, always lock your doors and windows don't leave anything out in the open or in view if it's of value to you. It feels like a small town, but there are some bigger-city crime issues here which the local government seems slow to respond to. In Eugene, there seems to be a general feeling of frustration with the local police. I quite often hear people saying they didn't bother to call the police, since they had in the past without receiving any benefit at all. This saddens me.

I can say that my family has lived in Eugene a total of about 4 years and we've never had anything bad happen to us at all with regards to crime. I think maybe it just depends on what part of the city you're in, where you've come from and what your personal experience is, and personal "street smarts".

The winters in the Valley (where Eugene and Corvallis are) are very mild. We don't get a lot of snow (some... not much). There's lots of snow nearby though in the Cascades, and a cool bus that will take you from Eugene to the slopes to ski for the day, then bring you back home. It's pretty sweet. Especially for city-slickers like us who don't know how to drive in the snow and otherwise prolly wouldn't have braved the mountain passes to get the kids to the lifts.

Rain...rain... this is a much-discussed topic. Search the forum and you'll finds lots to read on the topic. It's not so much rainy here as it is overcast. Lots of other places get lots more rain than the Willamette Valley... it's just that the gray clouds get trapped here, being in-between mountains and such... and so there are times we don't see the sun for awhile...

U of O and OSU both have some very good programs. Depending on what you are majoring in might be the deciding factor whether you would want to choose Eugene or Corvallis. Both are great little towns in a really awesome place to live... we love it here and our kids are having a really good time growing up and playing here. Good luck to you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area