U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 06:58 PM

17 posts, read 63,967 times

Advertisements

my last post was related to medford, but after doing some research i found that there are job and schooling opportunities for me in eugene.
are these things in eugene:
movie theaters
bead stores
shopping mall
guitar stores
organic markets
health food stores
parks (good ones)
festivals
horse stables
anything unique
concerts

and in general how do you like it there? my friends and i are in our early 20's and looking to move to oregon in the summer. any advice would be great! thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 06:33 AM

43 posts, read 329,664 times
movie theaters: YES
bead stores: YES
shopping mall: YES
guitar stores: YES
organic markets: YES
health food stores: YES
parks (good ones): YES
festivals: YES
horse stables: YES
concerts: YES

I'm 21 and I really enjoy living in Eugene. I moved here from Los Angeles and I love L.A. and miss it a lot, but I think Eugene is a kick-ass city with a lot of amazingly nice people and it's really worth you checking out.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:57 AM

18 posts, read 81,850 times
you all will love Eugene (especially if you are in your early to mid 20's) i did!
everything on your list is there

Old 03-11-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
I haven't yet seen much information posted on the performing arts in Eugene and thought you might be interested to know that we have a vibrant arts scene here. Here's a partial list of our musical offerings:

Hult Center for the Performing Arts - the Hult Center is home to eight resident performing arts companies and also presents performances ranging from Broadway shows to African dance. It includes the 2400-seat Silva Concert Hall and Soreng Theater, a 500-seat space. www.hultcenter.org

Eugene Symphony Orchestra - Although ESO presents not more than a dozen concerts a year, it has a national reputation for excellence. Every year they feature some of the world's greatest musicians as soloists - Yo-yo Ma, Itzak Perlman, James Galway, Joshua Bell, Andre Watts and Renee Fleming, to name a few recent and upcoming standouts. www.eugenesymphony.org

Oregon Bach Festival - German conductor and Bach expert Helmuth Rilling has led this world-class festival for the past 30 years. The two-week festival takes place around the end of June and the beginning of July each year. More than 32,000 people take part each year in first-rate performances ranging from choral masterworks to intimate recitals and lecture/demonstrations. www.oregonbachfestival.org

Oregon Mozart Players - The Pacific Northwest's premier professional chamber orchestra, OMP presents a six-concert subscription series, with each concert usually played twice, once in the Hult Center's Soreng Theater on Saturday evenings and again on Sunday afternoons at the University of Oregon School of Music's Beall Concert Hall. Repertoire ranges from the Baroque to the 21st century. OMP often presents guest artist residencies, where soloists of international renown not only perform with the orchestra, but also take part in master classes, recitals and other activities during their visits. OMP also presents a series of concerts for smaller ensembles, Chamber Music & Chocolate, which include dessert receptions following the performances. www.oregonmozartplayers.org

Eugene Concert Choir - This 110-voice choir celebrated its 30th anniversary last season. They present a varied repertoire ranging from the Renaissance through choral masterworks of the Baroque, Classic, Romantic and modern periods, to explorations of the big band era and collaborations with such groups as the Paul Winter Consort. They are often joined in these performances by members of Oregon Mozart Players. www.eugeneconcertchoir.org

Eugene Opera - Anchored by its traditional New Year's Eve performance, Eugene Opera presents two to four productions each season in Silva Concert Hall. Next season's offerings include Mozart's "The Magic Flute" and Puccini's "Madame Butterfly." This season's "Pirates of Penzance" sold out three performances. www.eugeneopera.com

Eugene Ballet - This first-class ballet company presents four productions in Silva Hall and brings dance to smaller communities throughout the West. Over their nearly 30 years of existence, Artistic Director and choreographer Toni Pimble has created dozens of memorable works. www.eugeneballet.com

Willamette Repertory Theatre - This excellent repertory company presents three plays each season in Soreng Theater, each with a three-week run. Their focus is American plays, performed by a core of local actors joined from time to time by professionals from outside the area. www.willrep.org

John G.Shedd Institute for the Arts - The Shedd's activities are so many and varied that you should visit their website to fully appreciate them. They not only present in the Hult Center, but own their own building and performance hall. Their mission is "to promote a deeper understanding of and appreciation for America’s many rich and vital musical traditions and to engender in the members of our community a desire to participate actively in the preservation and cultivation of those traditions." They have an extensive educational program in addition to their concert offerings. www.ofam.org

The above represent just the Hult resident companies. In addition, the UO School of Music is host the the Chamber Music Series, which presents first-rate ensembles from around the world, as well as many concerts by its excellent faculty and its fine student ensembles. There are numerous other acting companies, including the Very Little Theatre, Actor's Cabaret, and Lord Leebrick Theatre, to name a few.

I hope you find this information useful!

Old 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM

17 posts, read 63,967 times
Default thanks

thank you poster boy. your info was very helpful because my friend is a musician. i appriciate it.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 23,478 times
Default Re: Eugene

Yes to all! And if you want slightly more affordable living check out Springfield, Eugenes next door neighbor. The beauty of this area of the world is you can get from one end of Springfield to the otherside of Eugene in less than 30min. Snow and mountain sports hour& 1/2 east, and ocean beaches the same distance to the west. Rents are artificially high because of the University so you might want to look at buying a home vs renting. The payments will be very close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princhepesa View Post
my last post was related to medford, but after doing some research i found that there are job and schooling opportunities for me in eugene.
are these things in eugene:
movie theaters
bead stores
shopping mall
guitar stores
organic markets
health food stores
parks (good ones)
festivals
horse stables
anything unique
concerts

and in general how do you like it there? my friends and i are in our early 20's and looking to move to oregon in the summer. any advice would be great! thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area