U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM

81 posts, read 291,528 times

Advertisements

Fishing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Fishing Crazy ~ thanks for all the detailed info! Are you sure Oregon has no state tax? I thought it was just FL, TX, TN, WA and NV ~~ but I've heard property taxes are high in OR. I too worry about the meth problem and petty theft in Eugene, but as someone earlier posted, if you're not in that scene it doesn't affect you at all. Same as here in FL I guess. As to the weather, I'm tired of being a nervous wreck every summer, with the street flooding from rain and the hurricane scares ~ no part of FL is really safe from all that. Plus the climate is getting hotter and hotter so even though we ARE spoiled here, maybe the colder areas will eventually become more tolerable. My major pull to OR is a different mentality of people ~ the south can be uncreative and closed minded and i crave more of an arts and books scene. Plus it's fun to actually wear layered clothes for a change! I'd love to hear more about Lebanaon, is it just a bedroom community? From some of the other forums, Grants Pass and regions further south seem to be a bit dead, job and culture wise.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 80,742 times
It's either state income tax or sales tax. They just had a vote on it so you might be able to google a recent article. I thought it was income tax because I heard of people living in Washington but working in Oregon and cheating in someway. From what I know about Lebanon, it is a medium size town but has a more rural setting. Not much culture there though. My sister said it is turning around though. I have heard they have a petty theft/meth problem like Eugene. My draw was the property values which were much less than Corvallis. You can get a newer, large home & larger yard for less money and it is only a half hour to Corvallis so still close enough to take advantage of their culture. Also, it is one step closer to the mountains and rivers on the east side. Mainly, it's where you can get a job though. I was afraid that southern Oregon might have job problems as you noted. I would also like to be around more culture. The college towns offer that but when I visited Oregon, I did not care for some of the aspects of so many younger kids. I am mid 40's and did my share of partying in my early 20's but found being around that again is not so desirable. I am sure their are places to go to eat and hang out that cater to the middle aged, lol. Also, the college towns will have more petty crime and such in general but I don't think Corvallis is as bad Eugene. We were also looking at Bend. More sun there but about 10 degrees or so colder on average. Not sure about jobs and not sure about being so far out away from a major airport (not that we need one that often). So much to consider!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:14 PM

18 posts, read 80,742 times
[CENTER]http://www.sohndesignstudio.com/assets/eblasts/eblast-2010.jpg (broken link)

TOP TEN THINGS TO DO IN CORVALLIS WHEN IT'S RAINING[/CENTER]
1) Beer, Books & Burst’s – Check out the amazing beers at Block 15 Brewery Downtown. You can even call the owner Nick for a private tour of the brewery. After a few beers and lunch, spend hours browsing for any book you’ve wanted to read but haven’t at the Book Bin. Then, finish your afternoon with handmade truffles from Burst’s and a tour of the chocolate factory downstairs.
2) Dinner and Movie – Let’s bring back this date night tradition! Start with dinner at Corvallis local favorites Big River, Cloud 9, or Terzo followed by a movie at the historical downtown
Darkside Cinema. You can even bring your dinner to go at the Darkside Cinema and enjoy it while watching one of their four screens. Don’t forget the popcorn!
3) SHOP ‘Till YOU DROP Downtown: Get revved up with an eggs-benedict breakfast at the Broken Yolk followed by stops at these local shopping attractions: Second Glance (hunt for resale designer treasures), the Inkwell Home Store (gifts and home décor extraordinaire), and Grass Roots Books & Music for those hard-to-find music selections.
4) GET MUDDY: Take a walk through the many trails at our lush McDonald Forest; on the way grab a sandwich from University Hero Subs and Sandwiches downtown. Umbrellas optional.
5) QUEEN FOR A DAY: Candlewick Cottage will pamper you and treat you like royalty with a relaxing massage, rejuvenating facial, soothing manicure & pedicure – with all the comforts of home away from home (or castle). After you leave Candlewick Cottage more beautiful and refreshed, check out Donna Bella Lingerie downtown and reward yourself with a new purchase.
6) POWER UP WITH ORANGE: Stay in shape, work, out and recreate at Oregon State University’s Dixon Recreation Center. Lift weight, run the tracks, or climb a rock wall – all in the same facility. Call (541)737-1000 for more info. After your day of fitness exploration and discovery, head on over to Corvallis best vegetarian restaurant Nearly Normal’s Gonzo Cuisine located near campus on 14th by Monroe. Sports fanatics head to Flat Tail Brewing opening mid February!

7) HAVE A WINE SOCIAL: Call Beviamo Wine Tours, your passport to behind-the-scenes wine tasting in the Willamette Valley. Sip your way through France and Italy without ever leaving the country. Beviamo caters to you through private tours or join a weekend group tour. We promise a casual, social day of wine, good company, and beautiful scenery along the way. Rent a Prius from John and Phil’s and take a Beviamo tour guide along!
8) BE ART-SMART – Paint the town in local culture and visit the Corvallis Arts Center in Central Park and stroll through the Corvallis Riverfront and Madison Avenue Art Walk Downtown. After that, grab a large deli sandwich (one is enough for two) at the Old World Deli, home of the Oregon Trail Brewery and Pegasus Gallery. Check out the huge painted ceiling at the Old World Deli while you dine!
9) GET SOAKED: Take a swim at the Osborne Aquatic Center in the indoor 83 degree Olympic sized 50 meter pool or relax and wade in the 93 degree small pool. The shallow end has a water-basketball hoop, inner-tubes, floating mats and an inflatable log roll. The deep end has one 1-meter diving board, and one 3-meter diving board, plus a rope swing, 75 foot "zip-line" and "water-totter" inflatable toy for recreation use.
After a day in the water, head to Aqua Seafood Restaurant and Bar for some Pacific Rim/Hawaiian cuisine by two 7-foot fish tanks. Family friendly with a special children’s menu. Reservations at (541)752-0262 Or, try the sushi or Hibachi-style cooking at Aomatsu Japanese Restaurant downtown. (541) 752-1410
10) GET CRAFTY: Head down to one of the many craft stores in Corvallis; Fiber Nook and Crannys or Creative Crafts & Frames to start creating your next quilt, blanket, scrapbook, or surprise. On the way there, stop at Great Harvest Bakery for a free slice of fresh-baked bread and a steaming hot cup of coffee.
For more information on this and other great activities check out visitcorvallis.com

Old 02-06-2010, 01:35 PM

4 posts, read 13,382 times
Just a point of intrest after reading your post. My son relocated to Corvallis from Ga. and he loves it. He is an ICU nurse at the regional hosp. there. I helped move him there last June and I was impressed with the good weather! From about mid Oct. to around April or so you can count on rain or overcast skies a lot but the temps are moderate. The rain and overcast skies may take some getting use to if you are from the "sunshine state" OBTW, definately "left leaning" area.

Jim

Old 02-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongcsu View Post
Just a point of intrest after reading your post. My son relocated to Corvallis from Ga. and he loves it. He is an ICU nurse at the regional hosp. there. I helped move him there last June and I was impressed with the good weather! From about mid Oct. to around April or so you can count on rain or overcast skies a lot but the temps are moderate. The rain and overcast skies may take some getting use to if you are from the "sunshine state" OBTW, definately "left leaning" area.

Jim
This is good news ~ GA is certainly different than OR! My hubby works in physical therapy as an aide, is that regional hospital a big one? What's the name, and are there others in town as well?

Also, to Fishing Crazy ~ thanks much for that Corvallis ad, I see what you mean about party city! But every place has that, and to me it shows the town isn't dead. I too am middle aged, a bit older than you and out of the bar scene, but like all the other amenities of a college town. Is Covallis as expensive as Eugene?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM

One more note to jasongcsu ~ I actually crave more rain, the monotony of Florida weather is great for some but I enjoy a change without the drastic climate swerves; here usually when it rains it pours (thunderstorms, flooding, etc.) Nothing wrong with a light mist.

Are there any other smaller towns very near either Eugene or Corvallis worth considering, or is the commute too long and feels like suburbia?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 AM

857 posts, read 1,550,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomona View Post
I too worry about the meth problem and petty theft in Eugene, but as someone earlier posted, if you're not in that scene it doesn't affect you at all. Same as here in FL I guess.
Meth can affect anyone anywhere since the criminals need money to fuel their addiction. My car was almost stolen by a transient high on meth where it was parked in a Rich Republican neighborhood with an average age of 60 and zero crime. Always use at least two top of the line anti-auto-theft devices, and keep all valuables with you out of sight . . . And -

Quote:
My major pull to OR is a different mentality of people ~ the south can be uncreative and closed minded and i crave more of an arts and books scene. Plus it's fun to actually wear layered clothes for a change! I'd love to hear more about Lebanaon, is it just a bedroom community? From some of the other forums, Grants Pass and regions further south seem to be a bit dead, job and culture wise.
Your generalized statement about Grants Pass and regions south is correct, with the exception of Ashland, although Eugene and Portland are the two most liberal towns in the entire state.

Actually, even between Eugene and Grants Pass is conservative, as is Medford and Klamath Falls. Ashland is an island of liberalism with half the rain as Eugene.

Quote:
Are there any other smaller towns very near either Eugene or Corvallis worth considering, or is the commute too long and feels like suburbia?
That's a great question, and, are they conservative or liberal? I know about the larger places that I mentioned above, but not about the smaller farming communities.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,465 times
Hi there to Pomona and Fishing Crazy. It's funny that you picked up this thread again as my husband and I who live right outside New York City are beginning the same search and I am looking between Eugene and Corvallis. We have two small children and we are both thinking of going back to school; him to U of O and me to OSU. Almost all of our friends here(while we love them) seem miserable. The cost of living in NY is astronomical. I read about houses going for around $200,000 and I want to sell everything here and get in the car. I know its a matter of perspective. I was wondering Fishing Crazy does your sister still live in Corvallis and does she still love it. Other than obtaining a college education for me and my husband I am wondering about what kind of life I can offer my children. I feel pretty much the same way as Bikemom in her original message. I realize that you can make a life wherever you are I just don't think I want to do it in NY anymore.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 PM

231 posts, read 739,218 times
Miscellaneous answers to some of the issues in this thread:

Oregon income tax: Yes, Oregon has income tax. Oregon's highest income tax rate is 11% (for people making 250K or higher) which is the highest in the nation. But of course, taxes are complicated and there are all those deductions, etc., so most people will pay much less than this rate. Keep reading below...

Oregon sales tax: Zero

Property Tax: The official rate in Eugene is about 2%, which sounds high, but it is multiplied by the "assessed value" that the county uses, which is quite a bit lower than the real value. This assessed value is only allowed by law to increase a certain small percentage each year. For me, in 2009, my property taxes amounted to about 1.2% of my real market value.

Oregon total tax burden: According to The Tax Foundation, Oregon ranks 26th in the nation in total tax burden.

Crime: Don't believe the nonsense you read in this forum about crime (from the same one or two people who don't live here or from a few trolls who enter the forum to make one post trashing a city because they got fired from their minimum wage job for smoking pot in the parking lot...). In Eugene, petty crime is an issue in the university area (immediately west of campus) where lots of students live. There are also some grungy homeless people hanging around downtown and along 7th street near Washington (soup kitchens and homeless shelters are located around there). Once on a while they will ask for spare change. Some of them have the bright idea to stand at a couple of intersections with signs asking for spare change. A little disturbing to look at if you are the sensitive type. But no big deal really.

"Meth": You will not have any contact whatsoever with "meth" if you do not deal with or hang around with lowlifes (They're easy to recognize and thus to avoid). You should also avoid living downtown or in the older housing section just north of downtown. Some small lower income areas around the northwest and north end of Eugene are a little "rough" (mainly pickup truck idiots and their drunken adventures). But there are some nice neighborhoods there also. Anywhere in the central area of Eugene and the entire south (southwest to southeast) are all wonderful and nearly zero crime. Don't believe me and don't believe the troll posters...Check out the police crime map on the Register-Guard website. (Eugene police call log (beta) | The Register-Guard ...left click on the little red dots to understand the seriousness of each. Many of them are just things like "patrol check" or "traffic stop")

In Corvallis, I think it is basically the same, especially with the petty crimes issue, but the homeless issue is less serious there because it is not a major train/bus stop, and there are not as many facilities setup to support the homeless (so they leave Corvallis).

More importantly, the big difference for me between Corvallis and Eugene is the width and depth of offerings. In terms of retail stores, Eugene is way ahead of Corvalis. We have big stores, medium stores, and small stores. We also have lots of different restaurants including big chains but also a large number of small locally-owned places (check out my website for reviews). We also have more biking, hiking, greenery, etc. locations. Because we are a bigger city, we also have many more events (music, art, plays, etc) and various clubs/groups to get involved with.

Jobs: There are very few jobs available in EITHER city, unless you are working in healthcare (Peace Health) or for the university (OSU or UO).

Airport: Eugene has a working airport with many flights to major airports. Corvallis does not.

Real Estate: I made quite a few trips to Corvallis before settling on Eugene. My thinking was that I might be willing to sacrifice some comforts/convenience in exchange for a lower priced house. But what I found in Corvallis was very similar pricing to Eugene. So finally I settled on Eugene. By the way, $200K for a house in either Eugene or Corvallis is low. It would be an older rundown house or be located in a not-so-good area of town.

THAT SAID...

Corvallis is a very nice little place. Definitely a more small town vibe than Eugene. Quieter. Laid back. (Less liberal, by the way, which is a negative for me). If you are a person that is not looking for a super wide range of choices, then it might be perfect for you. The good news is that you can really get a good feel for Corvallis in a simple 2 day visit. A couple hours of driving, and you can pretty much cover the entire city. Up and down the main streets a few times, and you've seen all the retail and restaurants. Walk around OSU's campus, and you get the university vibe. Drive in the mountain-y residential areas, and you get the housing picture. That's it. If it grabs you, then you will probably love to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area