U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:13 AM

15 posts, read 37,712 times

Advertisements

thank you-- i'm thrilled with our new neighborhood, warts and all!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 05:23 AM

3,022 posts, read 3,118,159 times
It's a great place ...don't let anyone tell ya different!

Very unique and a beautiful setting to settle down in.
Congratulations.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,143,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
I think to cast me in a judgemental state against gays as you have done means its time to close this thread. Your accusation could not be further from the truth. My comments were primarily about the relative economic conditions. However I would not raise a family in a meth city with needles in the parks. Corvallis and Ashland are better Oregon cities to raise kids. I know that you folks like the grunginess in your Eugene. I don't like it so just leave me alone! I have never received a response from any forum on city-data.

No, I was just referring to the hyperbolic and hysterical nature of your posts.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM

3,863 posts, read 5,586,603 times
I'm also considering either Eugene or Corvallis (looking toward retirement), so have been following this thread.

I noticed this CNN Money magazine article about projected real estate value increases in US cities in 2010. Four cities in Oregon made the nation's top 25 list (which perhaps indicates something positive about the state economy).

Corvallis: 7th place, with 4.1% increase in real estate values projected for 2010
Bend: 10th place, 3.3%
Medford: 24th place, 1.7%
Eugene: 25th place, 1.6%

I don't lend much credence to lists like these, and certainly nobody decides where to buy based on them, but I thought I'd share it anyway in case people are interested.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,875,949 times
Aries63 I've heard great things about Corvallis. We meet people all the time who live there but come to Eugene to shop. Corvallis has shopping, too, but it's a much smaller town so it seems like most people like to save it up and just do a quick trip to Eugene to get it all done on the weekends. Corvallis people tend to come to Eugene for good shows, too. Maybe it's just the people we've met along the way. Anyway - it seems to be a great little town that people who live there really learn to love, and also a much quieter town if that's what you like and are looking for. That is happy news - what you posted regarding the CNN article. We need more good news these days, don't we? Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:38 AM

13 posts, read 30,891 times
My wife lived in Corvallis for six months a few years ago, and loved Oregon and the climate, which is part of why we moved here from London.

However we chose Eugene to move to, because everything is more conveniently located.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,620,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
It's a great place ...don't let anyone tell ya different!

Very unique and a beautiful setting to settle down in.
Congratulations.
'don't let anyone tell ya different'? Calm down;it's just a forum with people's opinions and experiences. which, by the way, means SOME people will NOT like Eugene.
That is not something to shun or become hysterically defensive over, as many posters on the Eugene threads seem to do (I am not indicating you, just generalizing based on my experience). Those of us who have lived in the eugene area, and have lived in other areas with which to compare it, are perfectly in the right to share this information, IN A PUBLIC FORUM precisely designed for sharing city and town information with those who have questions about it.

CD forum is not the chamber of commerce, or a Eugene advertising campaign. It's a forum, people.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-21-2010 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-22-2010, 11:15 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,586,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman in Eugene View Post
My wife lived in Corvallis for six months a few years ago, and loved Oregon and the climate, which is part of why we moved here from London.

However we chose Eugene to move to, because everything is more conveniently located.
How does one adjust from living in the megalopolis of London, to relatively small Eugene? Congratulations on the house purchase, by the way!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 PM

18 posts, read 80,329 times
WOW. I think the problem here is that everyone is getting a bit too personal. May I suggest stating an opinion without bashing. The same shoe doesn't fit every foot. I have been looking at real estate prices for the last two years and I have found Corvallis and especially Ashland high priced or above middle I guess. You can get a lot more home for the same price in numerous other communitities. I have heard that Eugene is a bit grungy but too me that can mean more layed back and only viewed grungy by someone not use to it. Perfect streets and sidewalks are great, but we all can't afford that. Personally, I prefer a few tarnished edges to make things interesting. I won't put anyone down for wanting one or the other just as others shouldn't bash people that are comfortable with the opposite. My sister lives in Corvallis and while it seems to be a fine community, I can't justify the real estate prices. I plan to rent somewhere so I can better explore the areas and find out what suits me best. I appreciate opinions to help guide me but not biased opinions that try to make me agree with that opinion. Thanks to everyone who tries to help.

Last edited by Fishing Crazy; 03-22-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 PM

18 posts, read 80,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.NY.? View Post
I was wondering Fishing Crazy does your sister still live in Corvallis and does she still love it. Other than obtaining a college education for me and my husband I am wondering about what kind of life I can offer my children. I feel pretty much the same way as Bikemom in her original message. I realize that you can make a life wherever you are I just don't think I want to do it in NY anymore.
Yes, my sister has been in Corvallis for over 3 years now. Her kids are 12 & 9 and she loves the schools and the activities. They take piano, gymnastics, horseback riding and have bopped around to a few others. She likes most of the parents & their children. I went to a recital and it was a very welcome place with lots of kids in each grade. All very well behaved kids at first glance. They go to a school in a neighborhood north of town towards Albany, sorry I don't know the name but will try to find out. They wanted a more liberal town and I understand that fits the bill. They like being near the college. I have visited twice and found it to be a nice "small to medium" size town. Enough of everything but not too much. It is surround by rural communities yet only an hour to Eugene south and Salem north for larger cities. I have researched real estate and in my opinion, you need to spend about $250,000 for a newer home in decent shape. If you are use to an upper middle class neighborhood, you might spend a bit more but as you say, compared to NY that is probably good. For me coming from a small town in Florida, that is a bit much for my budget. The same home here will go for about $150,000 to under $200. We need to select a place where we can find work which is hard everywhere. They prefer north Corvallis & North Albany. Of course there are better areas and run down areas in every town. Anyway, they love it there and plan to stay for a long time. P.S. Don't know what you want to go to school for but she said there is a teaching hospitol or medical school being built near Lebanon just 30 minutes east of Corvallis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area