U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:13 PM

836 posts, read 1,347,250 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback! Appreciate the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,496,575 times
Much as I hate to say it, and I do love Corvallis/ But there is som much more to do in Eugene and houseing is Cheaper. But on the flip side, Eugene has waaaaaay to many Hippies!!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 PM

37 posts, read 55,268 times
Having moved from Texas to Corvallis, I can say it was the best move I'd ever made! I was a native Texan of 40 years and of course, I was in culture shock when I first moved but it is just the best place to live. It is so green! The rain is constant only in the fall and winter and makes everything smell so fresh. It's a small town, in my opinion but it's the perfect size for getting around on a bike. Nothing like riding your bike to McMenamins for some halibut and a few pints. First Alternative Co-op is a great place for organic anything. The People here aren't over-friendly and everyone minds their own business. The OSU campus is nice and laid back. I highly recommend it to everyone for a try.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,829,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickeeB View Post
Having moved from Texas to Corvallis, I can say it was the best move I'd ever made! I was a native Texan of 40 years and of course, I was in culture shock when I first moved but it is just the best place to live. It is so green! The rain is constant only in the fall and winter and makes everything smell so fresh. It's a small town, in my opinion but it's the perfect size for getting around on a bike. Nothing like riding your bike to McMenamins for some halibut and a few pints. First Alternative Co-op is a great place for organic anything. The People here aren't over-friendly and everyone minds their own business. The OSU campus is nice and laid back. I highly recommend it to everyone for a try.
Howdy! I'm a native Texan who's now here in Oregon, too. Corvallis and Eugene are a bit like Austin back in the day - don't you think?
Welcome to Oregon!

Old 04-12-2010, 05:07 PM

37 posts, read 55,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Howdy! I'm a native Texan who's now here in Oregon, too. Corvallis and Eugene are a bit like Austin back in the day - don't you think?
Welcome to Oregon!
I couldn't agree more! These cities remind me of what Austin used to be in the 70's. Unfortunately, Austin is now full of hipsters and hardly any hippies.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,829,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickeeB View Post
I couldn't agree more! These cities remind me of what Austin used to be in the 70's. Unfortunately, Austin is now full of hipsters and hardly any hippies.
And in Austin you're not an hour away from the most gorgeous (and one of the only protected) coastlines in the world, or an hour away from some of the best skiing or snow sports, too! Yeppers, I think we "done good" when we checked our hats and boots at the border.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 51,047 times
Eugene vs Corvallis?? I think Eugene would fit you better. (from what I read)
Greenduck

Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,901,992 times
Cracks in the sidewalk are bad? How are you going to get your wild chamomile if there are no cracks in the sidewalk?

Seriously. It's often called pineapple weed, but it's culinarily and medicinally the same plant as chamomile. Take the little green fruits and crush them betwixt thumb and forefinger, then smell.

Half-dry the leaves and make a nice cuppa tea.

I don't have personal experience of Corvallis and Eugene other than passing through, but this is an important topic to me personally, so let me summarize what I've read here and elsewhere and see if I get some nods of approval:

Corvallis is "greener" both literally and environmentally. It's closer to the ocean, and is tamer and more peaceful than Eugene. It's a better place to raise a family or a garden. It's more rainy and gloomy.

Eugene has more wild chamomile, feral homeless, and tweakers, and also has a more interesting vibe and shops (tweakers or methamphetamine addicts are a concern, no amount of marijuana use is of any importance to this discussion). Better beer and pizza, and more unique and interesting restaurants. It's less expensive, but has more crime. It's a better place if you want both an interesting city life with some colorful Rainbow Clan or old hippie culture, and some awesome wilderness nearby to escape to (at least from what I saw on the Amtrak train). The climate is slightly better than Corvallis.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM

19 posts, read 24,596 times
Definitely reading through all these posts! Our family is considering both of these cities. Can't help but wonder if a family with three kiddos (4,7,9yrs) might appreciate the larger range of sports and arts options in the larger are of Eugene. Interested in the real world difference in the weather of these two cities.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,495,988 times
Eugene is more kid friendly with the ages of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area