U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM

2 posts, read 28,467 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My first post so I hope I do this right. My husband and I are pretty serious about relocating from Atlanta Ga to Oregon We have two young children and are in search of a good place to raise them. We want an area where most people are striving to walk lightly on the planet and work toward relocalization. We are looking for an area where people are aware of global climate change and dwindling global resources. Our main focuses are on organic local food, outdoor activities, and a strong sense of community. We would like to avoid a place where people get angry about things just to be angry and not because it is a true passion. I would also like to find a place where it is safe and exciting to ride road and mountain bikes. We want really good schools that don't just teach rote memorization and core curriculum. We would love some help in deciding which city would be best for those needs. We have an understanding that it will be a major change of lifestyle for us but we hope to not go into complete culture shock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:53 PM

4,254 posts, read 6,470,686 times
Sounds like you need to find a 1960s style commune. Probably hard to find today.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 167,073 times
We moved to Eugene from Utah almost a year ago, and although I wouldn't say Eugene offers exactly what you are looking for, it is one of the most earth friendly places I have been, the schools actually teach in the arts and offer a lot of alternatives, the Saturday market is a great place to get local grown food and bikes are very welcome here.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-06-2009, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 28,467 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the help. It is really hard to tell which city would be the best. Some of the posts that I have read seem to indicate that Eugene has a problem with crime and drugs so we started looking at Corvallis but I really don't know what it is like "on the ground" so to speak. I really am not looking for a comune, I grew up in one in California and I know. But coming from one on the most conservative states around (Georgia) I did not know what to expect out there. Here a new trash service that would recycle more than five things was voted down and you pay 2.50 a pound for organic apples. I was just hoping for some insight from people who have young children and want to take care of the planet and their health.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 14,231 times
We moved from Florida to Eugene one year ago, it will be a culture shock form Georgia. I have really enjoyed it here though. We go up in the mountains a lot, it is only a few minutes from town till you start getting in some pretty good hills. A hour to hour and half you can be in the heart of the Cascades and it is absolutely beautiful. On the other hand it is just a little over an hour form the coast in the other direction. If you love the outdoors Eugene is a great place for it is centrally located in the middle of everything.

There is plenty of organic food here that is locally grown as well as the grocery store Market of Choice specializes in organic foods plus other shops.

Bike trails are everywhere the city is very bike friendly with lots of parks and public land to use.

I hope this helps some.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:25 PM

18 posts, read 80,235 times
I don't know if Karlsch meant to be rude but I don't think your expectations are that unreasonable. My sister and her family which includes a 10 and a 7 year old moved to Corvallis 2 years ago from Florida. Their motivations where the same, a good place to raise their kids, environmentally conscious community and mild climate. They hated the Florida summers. They love it in Corvallis. They traveled for a year in an RV looking all over the country for a new place to live. While a bit radical, it seems to have worked out. They love the schools. The girls have tons of activities. They have done horseback riding, piano, gymnastics, etc. They do jog-a-thons to raise money for some of the school activities (better than pushing candy in my opinion). They are renting now between Corvallis and Albany and they are looking for 5 to 10 acres to plant on either just for themselves or possibly as a business. I live in Florida now and am seriously considering moving there as well. While I liked Corvallis, I don't know if my budget can afford it. Some of the places that are in my price range are pretty dissapointing ($150 - 200k). My boyfriend is a carpenter so we will have to find an area that has a good building future until he can get into something else. I am frankly a bit concerned on some of the posts that I have read about Eugene & other places in the Willamette Valley. I grew up in Chicago so I understand crime is everywhere but it is hard to know what to expect. My sister likes Eugene as well, they opted for a smaller town.

Good Luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,472,783 times
I think you will find both cities environmentally aware, perhaps a little more so in Eugene.

The biggest difference when I lived in the area was that Corvallis seems to feel like a smaller town, which it is, and Eugene more of a mini-Portland. You really feel it in the downtowns of both cities.
The urban sprawl, though not terrible, is more pronounced in Eugene.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 AM

5,716 posts, read 7,113,877 times
I grew up in Pennsylvania, lived in Chicago, then lived in northern California for 12 years before moving to Eugene in 2006. I lived there while going to school at the University of Oregon from 9/2006 to 6/2008. Eugene is an interesting place, definitely very liberal, but there is certainly some property crime around the university and drug problems in all of Lane County. I never felt unsafe living there but I did live up in the hills with the rest of the Californians.

I had a classmate who loved Corvallis and hated Eugene, even though he seemed like the person who would like a liberal place like Eugene. Eugene has a very interesting, quirky, but some say unsafe neighborhood called Whitacre. That's where a lot of the creative, liberal and "hippie types" (no offense) tend to live. There are some very nice vegan friendly restaurants and coffee shops, a soul food place, etc.

I didn't spend much time in Corvallis. I got the impression it was similar to Eugene. It has Oregon State University so it's also a college town like Eugene. I like the downtown in Corvallis, but it did feel a bit "boring" and small compared to Eugene. I think it feels a bit cleaner and somewhat more safe, although it's hard to say which one is better.

I would suggest visiting both before you decide. Corvallis is just about 30-45 minutes away, so you could compare pretty easily.

The weather in Oregon isn't for everyone. It can get depressing in the winter. But it is a beautiful place, and the ocean is only about 90 minutes away. It's a very green place, and temperatures are not too extreme, it just gets quite a bit of rain. However, it can be absolutely beautiful when it's not raining.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM

81 posts, read 288,559 times
To Fishing Crazy ~ it's a year later and I wonder if you're still reading this post, but I'm curious, did you ever make it to Oregon? My husband and I are also in Florida and I hate the monotony of the weather, crave the rain so that's no problem. I'm wondering about jobs, is there a decent hospital system in both Eugene and Corvallis? How bad is the crime in Eugene, is it just petty crimes of opportunity (avoided if you lock your car or bike) or actual murders like here in NE Florida?b I would move in a minute if there was a guarantee of jobs either secretarial or health care techs --- any feedback is welcome. Also Corvallis sounds ideal, is it as liberal minded as Eugene and as funky?

Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 80,235 times
pomona, we are still in Florida but not totally by choice. I work for my Dad and I am waiting for him to sell business before leaving. Health care is the field I might consider which would be new to me. My sister said they are building a teaching hospitol in Lebanon I believe. Lebanon is 20-30 minutes east of Corvallis. Job security is the problem everywhere but health care seems to be one area that is growing. Otherwise, the unemployment rate in Oregon is one of the highest in the county in general. Corvallis must lean liberal because my sister and her husband are very liberal. I think it is a bit more upper middle class so my guess is Eugene would be more "funky". You might want to check other posts from people who live in both places. I have been watching real estate and I must say that what you can buy in Corvallis for the money is sad. You can get a lot more house in the surrounding areas. Oregon State Univ is in Corvallis and they like being in a college town. I was considering Eugene as well but was scared by the posts of petty theft & such. Since Oregon does not have state tax, they do not have the funds for a stronger police force. I have heard that drugs are a bit of a problem but I think Florida has the same issues so I can't say which place is worse..my guess is Florida actually. I have started looking south near Grants Pass and found some nice affordable homes with beautiful surroundings but not sure about jobs yet. I would be happy to keep in touch so that we can each update each other on our findings. One of my concerns is moving to a colder climate. You kind of get spoiled in Florida. I have always wanted to live by mountains and have been eyeing the west coast for almost 25 years! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area