U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 8,069 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 21-year-old woman who has lived in Austin, TX most of my life. It's a great place to come from but I'm sick of the 100-degree, 9-month summers after a couple of decades of being here. I've also been looking into linguistics programs at various schools around the country and UO caught my eye. I've considered moving to Portland many times (I have an aunt who lives there; I love it), so Eugene seems like it might be an ideal place to go to school. However, I do have a couple of concerns based on some things I've read about UO and Eugene. Hopefully somebody here can provide a little insight!

UO appears to be a good school with nice facilities, but I've heard some people say that they are very sports-oriented. I am most definitely not and would really regret ponying up the money to be in an environment that makes me cringe on a daily basis. I understand that a sizable school is going to have sports teams and people who are into them, and I can deal with that... but is there really THAT much focus on the sports?

My second question regards the allergy issues I've read about. Austin is a serious hotspot for allergies, but I've never really had any problems. What's the deal with Eugene? From what I understand, Eugene essentially sits in a bowl where pollen and pollution settle. Do a lot of people have ongoing issues with this?

I'm not totally set on Eugene, but I have wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest for a long time, and linguistics is not commonly offered for undergraduates. It seems like it might really be a great fit for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,462,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretentiousIlliterate View Post
Hi,
........ UO appears to be a good school with nice facilities, but I've heard some people say that they are very sports-oriented. I am most definitely not and would really regret ponying up the money to be in an environment that makes me cringe on a daily basis.
It would be easier to answer your question if you could tell us exactly what it is about sports that makes you cringe.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM

264 posts, read 822,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePretentiousIlliterate View Post
Hi,

I'm a 21-year-old woman who has lived in Austin, TX most of my life. It's a great place to come from but I'm sick of the 100-degree, 9-month summers after a couple of decades of being here. I've also been looking into linguistics programs at various schools around the country and UO caught my eye. I've considered moving to Portland many times (I have an aunt who lives there; I love it), so Eugene seems like it might be an ideal place to go to school. However, I do have a couple of concerns based on some things I've read about UO and Eugene. Hopefully somebody here can provide a little insight!

UO appears to be a good school with nice facilities, but I've heard some people say that they are very sports-oriented. I am most definitely not and would really regret ponying up the money to be in an environment that makes me cringe on a daily basis. I understand that a sizable school is going to have sports teams and people who are into them, and I can deal with that... but is there really THAT much focus on the sports?

My second question regards the allergy issues I've read about. Austin is a serious hotspot for allergies, but I've never really had any problems. What's the deal with Eugene? From what I understand, Eugene essentially sits in a bowl where pollen and pollution settle. Do a lot of people have ongoing issues with this?

I'm not totally set on Eugene, but I have wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest for a long time, and linguistics is not commonly offered for undergraduates. It seems like it might really be a great fit for me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
All linguistics students must get a spanking from the rugby team once a semester at the U of O . Are you serious ?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:20 AM

5,714 posts, read 7,101,567 times
The U of O is very sports oriented, but not more than UT. One of my classmates in the MBA program was from Oregon but played football in Austin. There were the usual arguments about athletics versus education.

I've heard that the linguistics program at the UO is very small, which might be a benefit or a curse. I looked into speech pathology and linguistics before enrolling for an MBA degree.

Moderator cut: off topic

Keep in mind that the alternative to 100 degree summers is the gray skies of winter. It can be a shock to people who are used to seeing the sun every day. Some people can't adjust to the Pacific Northwest. It is really a beautiful state though, very green, and absolutely beautiful when it's not raining. It's a great place to live if you enjoy hiking, skiing or just like being outdoors.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,797,400 times
I'm from Dallas, TX and now live in Eugene. College sports is a big thing here in the PNW I think because they don't have much in the way of NFL teams - I think. We are not really into sports, either, but that is just what it seems like to my husband and I.

Still, though, the Ducks/Beavers rivalry pales in comparison to the Texas Tech/Aggies thing I remember from my time in Texas. Even SMU showed more spirit. I wouldn't let the UofO/OSU sports thing worry you too much. You'll see a bunch of green and yellow around Eugene, and a bunch of "O"'s on people's cars... a large duck or two... but if you're not into sports, you can avoid the rest of the whole collegy sports thing easily. We do.

Allergies... it's odd, really. Our oldest son had severe respiratory problems while we lived in Texas. He was on three different types of meds. My husband also had bad allergies while we lived in Texas. Ever since we've moved to Eugene, though, the only problem they have had is with the cottonwood in the spring. Our son no longer needs any meds and never has any problems aside from the cottonwood. We've also found a homeopathic remedy (a spray that you use under your tongue) which takes care of the cottonwood allergies. It's pretty amazing.

I think, as far as allergies, it would just depend on what you're allergic to specifically. If grass seed, mold, and mildew upset your system - you might have a hard time here?

If you are single without kids... I would also suggest Seattle or Portland. Those towns are great for single people. If you have kids, though, personally I think Eugene or Corvallis is a better place to be. And listen to what people say about SAD, the weather, the grey... the first year you are here, everthing is all new and most people don't have a problem. But the second winter people spend here, after having lived most of their lives in sunnier, warmer, drier climates, can really bring you down quick. There are things you can do to help yourself, but it's best to prepare for this ahead of time, rather than try to force yourself out of the dumps once you've discovered you're already there.

Oregon rain, though, is different than Texas rain... Texas rain dumps on you. Oregon rain is usually more misty and drizzly. It's definitely more grey than Texas, though, with a lot less sun. I've learned to like and sometimes even love the grey, but some people never really seem to get to that point. They just stay miserable. And I find it to be colder here than in Texas. I am always cold from about October until about May. I'm just always freezing. It gets darker earlier, too, and lighter later... because we are further north. Not as bad as Alaska or anything! But it is something you notice, or at least I did, coming from Texas. The Summers here, though, are amazing. Really amazing! And the mountains and beaches and lakes... I mean the natural beauty of this place will just really blow you away if you're into the outdoors at all.

Anyway - good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM

112 posts, read 671,258 times
Austin, TX huh? I used to love visiting Austin when I was stationed in Texas. Great town, lots of fun, but I know what you mean by the long hot summers. I never got used to the humidity even after 4 years. My sister attends college at U of O in Eugene. She's not really into sports, and she's not outcasted because she isn't into it or doesn't participate. I on the other hand live about an hour from Eugene but never miss a home football game when the Ducks are playing, so its not a big deal, do what you want regarding sports. It doesn't seem as crazy as the "hook 'em horns" phenomenon that I experienced when I lived in Texas...wow...fanatical fans out there--and more of them. Allergies for me are bad in the spring, and fine the rest of the year. North of Eugene in Linn county is the "Grass seed capital of the world". They also grow sod, but I have never really noticed a bid difference between Eugene and other cities in the valley regarding allergies. I do notice that I seem to do better on the coast during spring than I do in the valley. I totally agree with haggardhouseelf, in that the summers stay brighter longer, the winters are darker earlier...I never noticed it either until I lived in Texas and came back on leave in the summer and winter. I enjoy the seasonal changes. Just when you really start getting tired of the grey, it starts getting sunny. When I start getting tired of hot weather, it starts to cool off and fall arrives. I may be biased because I love the Northwest, but I'll take the weather here over Texas or anywhere in the Midwest ANY day!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,069 times
Thanks for all the good info! It sounds like I don't have much to worry about as far as the sports/allergies business goes.

Everyone warns me about the weather there and doesn't seem to believe me when I say that I really do love it. I seem to have the exact opposite constitution of most people when it comes to that blasted sun.

Thanks again!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:45 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,797,400 times
This has been a really strange winter! According to the news... it's supposed to have been cloudy and grey and wet yesterday and today... but it has been sunny and beautiful! Still a bit chilly... but awesome. We've been out enjoying the sunshine - perfect hiking weather!

Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 15,467 times
to PI: ALLERGIES - EUGENE SITS IN A VALLEY THAT TRAPS EVERY POSSIBLE ALLERGIN THERE IS! SPORTS - This is the only state that could compete with the sports nuts of Texas. Stay in Austin!,you will be trading 9 months of summer for 9 months of wet and cold weather & TWO WEEKS OF SUMMER!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:13 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,023,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I think, as far as allergies, it would just depend on what you're allergic to specifically. If grass seed, mold, and mildew upset your system - you might have a hard time here?
Quite true. You have to know what your specific triggers are to know what your allergy liability will be. For most people, though, compared to the "cedar fever" of central Texas, the hay fever of the Willamette Valley is a minor issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area