U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 01:34 AM

30 posts, read 115,862 times

Advertisements

to make this short, I'm planning on moving to the Springfield/Eugene area by the end of summer, taking a trip there this March with my room mate. a moment ago I was messing around with google maps, looking at the aerial points of view on various buildings and neighborhoods and drifted over the closest lake i saw in the "map" setting. Fern Ridge Reservoir looks like a huge lake, just shown as a general blue area, when you hit the "satellite" it'll give a very detailed photograph of the area and it's scares me a bit to compare the two. what happened? the lake's past was huge body of water. with the current satellite photo it shows that it's been reduced to nothing more than a mud puddle. the dried up boat docks have to be at least 20 feet from the cloudy shores. I’m guessing from the name of the lake that it is a huge source of water for the city like our Pactola Reservoir is for Rapid City. our lake gets low from time to time but nothing like Fern. is there anything being done about that? is it as bad as satellite makes it out to be? I know it's still larger than our reservoir, but how could it have been allowed to get so low? that is honestly terrifying to me....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 02:56 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,799,960 times
Someone else can answer this question better... but I believe they keep the water level high during the most popular boating times of the year (May - September, the lake is home to the Eugene Yacht Club) and then they drain most the lake the rest of the year to lower it to help with any potential flooding during the rainiest time of the year here.

Also, in recent years they have been working on the Fern Ridge Dam and it looked really, really low during that time. So perhaps the pictures you saw were taken during various high and low points, which is why you see such extremes?

You might find more info if you google "Corps of Engineers Fern Ridge"... Fern Ridge is a flood control project of theirs...

Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 PM

30 posts, read 115,862 times
oh thank god! haha, i was so affraid it was like Cali where the lakes are being drained during droughts and once they are empty, that's it. i will definately look into it more, thanks for the reply!

Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmblarg View Post
oh thank god! haha, i was so affraid it was like Cali where the lakes are being drained during droughts and once they are empty, that's it. i will definately look into it more, thanks for the reply!
If you like lakes and amazing water... be sure to check out Crater Lake while you're in the area. It's a nice drive - about an hour and a half to get there. Lake Waldo is also a favorite! There are lots of amazing lakes not far from Eugene. In the city the water recreation happens on one of the rivers - the McKenzie or the Willamette. During the Summer, you can rent canoes and kayaks to take out on the river if you don't have one of your own. You also see people tubing down the rivers all throughout the summer... it's pretty cool. I see people fishing year-round but we've never tried it. I'm not sure how the fishing is in either of the rivers. Fishing is supposed to be good in Fern Ridge though... I dunno? We also have lots of protected watershed areas here, and an active "stream team" volunteer organization which works really hard all year long to help care for them and encourage others to do the same. They just did a story not too long ago about our large and diverse dragon and damselfly populations here - it's the perfect environment for them.

We've also got some really cool hot springs as well as really cool waterfalls in the area. Way worth checking out if you have the time while you're here.

Anyway - sorry to ramble. I just love this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area