U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2009, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,929 times

Advertisements

MOVING FROM***
Help!
I am coming from Vegas where the only weather I know is HOT. There is little rain and we had a couple hours of snow, but that's as far as it goes.
I am moving to Oregon when im finished with my fall semester at UNLV (so around december)
I am visiting in April and wanted to know what areas are good, along with Western Oregon U, U of Oregon, and OSU. I would LOVE to goto OSU but its so expensive. Can anyone give me any advice on any of the schools?

I am looking into Eugene and found Lane Tower apartments (price right up my alley!) but i was wondering if there was a catch to the price. its located on 1601 Olive St, 97401. Is that a good area?
I am so lost as to where I should begin because of the HUGE difference between the 2 states.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP!
thanks so much!!

Last edited by daniegross; 02-21-2009 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Moving FROM* LV
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:38 PM

16 posts, read 72,483 times
I moved here from vegas three years ago. Unlike Vegas, there are very few 'bad' parts of town. 16th and Olive is no better or worse than many parts of town. It's centrally located, so you could walk or ride a bike to most parts of town. I don't go to school, so I can't offer much insight on that piece of your post. There's definitely more to do in Eugene than Corvallis, although both are tiny compared to Vegas. Eugene is great, worlds apart from Vegas. Everyone is friendly and will talk to you on the streets, everywhere. The rain takes some adjusting. I had to buy a happy light when I first moved here, I moved here in September. The lack of sunlight can impact your vitamin D levels, my partner and I found we were sleeping a lot and crabby. Once we got the light we were fine again. I have had to use it again this year as I noticed fatigue again. Moving here in April will help, there's no more beautiful place than the pacific northwest in the summer. It's incredibly short lived though, so you have to make the most of it.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM

700 posts, read 2,416,978 times
Can you take a year off from your studies to become a resident of Oregon, then you tuition would drop I believe. Plus a year off is nice to re-connect with the world and enjoy a bit of time for yourself.

Eugene is the much better choice over Corvallis in my opinion.

Good Luck

Old 04-21-2009, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 16,559 times
Hi, I am from Vegas as well and plan on making a move to Eugene soon. I am living in California right now and I still have things in storage in Henderson.

I can't help you much in the school department either, except for the same advice that has been posted, if you become a resident for a year your tuition goes way down. I plan on attending the community college there in town and then transferring to the University.

If you are interested in possibly sharing moving costs, please post in here or private message me. I lived in Vegas for 14 years and did'nt make it through this economic situation, I was recently in the real estate business.

My son has been living in Eugene for 3 years now and I can't get him out of there, he loves it, having been raised in Las Vegas.

I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Xena Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniegross View Post
MOVING FROM***
Help!
I am coming from Vegas where the only weather I know is HOT. There is little rain and we had a couple hours of snow, but that's as far as it goes.
I am moving to Oregon when im finished with my fall semester at UNLV (so around december)
I am visiting in April and wanted to know what areas are good, along with Western Oregon U, U of Oregon, and OSU. I would LOVE to goto OSU but its so expensive. Can anyone give me any advice on any of the schools?

I am looking into Eugene and found Lane Tower apartments (price right up my alley!) but i was wondering if there was a catch to the price. its located on 1601 Olive St, 97401. Is that a good area?
I am so lost as to where I should begin because of the HUGE difference between the 2 states.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, HELP!
thanks so much!!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:46 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,192,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Can you take a year off from your studies to become a resident of Oregon, then you tuition would drop I believe. Plus a year off is nice to re-connect with the world and enjoy a bit of time for yourself.

Eugene is the much better choice over Corvallis in my opinion.

Good Luck
I thought that WA, ID, NV, and CA residents got in-state tuition for some reason. Or maybe that was only at the community colleges or not at all anymore. You should look into it though. It may have just been CCs now that I think about it.

Eugene as a location is much better than Corvallis. So much more to do and a much prettier location in my opinion. Corvallis isn't called "Corn-valley" for nothing. And as for WOU, it's not a bad school, but UO is probably the better school. It's the one I'd choose out of the three personally.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 16,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I thought that WA, ID, NV, and CA residents got in-state tuition for some reason. Or maybe that was only at the community colleges or not at all anymore. You should look into it though. It may have just been CCs now that I think about it.

Eugene as a location is much better than Corvallis. So much more to do and a much prettier location in my opinion. Corvallis isn't called "Corn-valley" for nothing. And as for WOU, it's not a bad school, but UO is probably the better school. It's the one I'd choose out of the three personally.
Yes the in-state tuition applies only to the community colleges for residents of those states in which you mentioned. Resident guidelines are different for the University. I spent half a day looking into this a few months ago and spoke with administraters from the college, hopefully my time spent will save others the trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area