U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 10:22 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,807,076 times

Advertisements

I used to have lots more pictures of more of these happy little mysterious signs... but I'm having trouble finding them on this computer. Hmmm... anyway... here's a link to the few i have found:

Picasa Web Albums - bloggity - happy yellow ...

These happy yellow signs with positive messages appear all over Eugene. No one claims to know who does them. I love them. I take pictures of them whenever I find them. When I find my other pictures of the signs I'll add them to the album.

Whoever you are that does these - Thank You!!! You're awesome.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 04:16 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,876,868 times
Those are great! I've only been to Eugene a few times and I've yet to see these. I'll look for them next time I am there.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Aren't they great? Eugene is full of things like this... little positive things that random fun and artsy people do to instill a little happiness into the area. I think it's great.

Another thing I like to see, but haven't taken any pictures of yet, are the "cairns"? I think that is what they are called... I find them along the bike path and along the shallow areas of the rivers... stacks of rocks that look like they shouldn't be able to stay stacked that way, yet somehow they remain there. Some are tall, some are just a few rocks high, some are quite impressive! Some are able to be seen all year, and some you can only see when the water levels are low - late summer usually. Anyway, somebody - probably more than one person - does those and they are great, too. My husband and I have tried to do a few but we haven't quite got the knack of it. Ours look more like regular piles of rocks. The people that do these are artists!

There's a lot of public art in Eugene. We like to walk or ride our biks around and just keep our eyes open. We always see cool stuff, even in our "boring" north Eugene neighborhood where we have more shiny Lexus SUV's than graffiti'd VW hippie vans and old bumper-stickered-up subaru's!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:15 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,194,122 times
It's little things like this that make me wish my move to Eugene were coming sooner than it is.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:18 PM

857 posts, read 1,513,594 times
Default Yellow Signs In Eugene

Great photos! Those signs are VERY nice! Could they by any chance be from the LDS (Mormons)? In the radio biz, we have PSA's (public service announcements) with pro-family messages (such as those mentioned on the signs) sponsored by the LDS. Eugene has a high Mormon population; I know that because I'm in Flagstaff, AZ, and have also lived in Puyallup, Wa. -- towns where there's also a high Mormon population. The Mormons are interested in promoting outdoor sports like hiking/mountain biking, building bike trails, etc. so I like these places. Looks like those signs in Eugene are golden, burgundy, and teal -- colors affiliated with some Mormon businesses... I wish we would see more public art like that ... of a ... PRO-FAMILY nature!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,249,304 times
I'm checking out Eugene myself this summer to consider living at least part-time.

Thanks for showing us the photos! I love the colors in those signs.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 PM

857 posts, read 1,513,594 times
Default Eugene Part Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I'm checking out Eugene myself this summer to consider living at least part-time.

Thanks for showing us the photos! I love the colors in those signs.
That's a new concept! Part time! That's the best time of year in terms of weather and outdoor recreation. For those of us - still stuck in the economically depressed southwest - at the very least we can make a 6 month commitment to Oregon before the SAD (seasonal affective disorder) season!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:56 PM

I've never noticed a large LDS presence here, actually. But that doesn't really mean much. People in the Pacific Northwest tend to keep their religion to themselves for the most part, and they have always seemed very respectful towards others with different kinds of beliefs. You can know someone here for a very long time before ever knowing what their religious or spiritual beliefs are. I can see how Mormons would like it here, though. Or anyone who puts their family first. To my husband and I, it does feel like a very good, positive, place to raise a family.

I actually learned the other day who does the signs, but I can't say anything!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:09 PM

231 posts, read 732,126 times
I think there is a Mormon church (or temple or wigwam or whamma-jamma...whatever they call them) on 18th near Bailey Hill. I tried to check it on their LSD (oops, LDS) website, but they do not list the actual Eugene address.

Re the signs, they seem nice but also sorta creepy...as if they are meant to draw you in and get you nodding your head "yes" and then gradually the messages will get more and more preachy/religiousy over time. I may be paranoid or maybe they really are trying to brainwash me.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:11 PM

They are done by a girl and her mother. The girl is now in middle school, but they began doing the signs when she was in elementary school to spread a bit of happiness and joy around town. It's not affiliated with any religion or church at all.

You people, oh my gosh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: