Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 39,409 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I are moving to Eugene/Sringfield later this year. I was hoping to get peoples' inputs as to which areas of Eugene/Springfield are the best areas for families and still accessible. I have only been around the University area and I am particularly interested in what Springfield is like, as initially it appears to be slightly less expensive housing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Springfeild is alright. Sure some areas are better than others. You'd just have to look around to find the nicer areas. It's building up quite a bit.

I believe some parts of Eugene are more expensive. West Eugene looks like it should be cheaper but it's sprawling out..

I don't know where you are coming from so it's hard to compare it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 PM

26 posts, read 173,129 times
Default Eugenian here

I have lived in Eugene for the past 13 years. Springfield is a bit more affordable, but has a lot of older homes. The nice areas of Springfield are WAY out. As far as Eugene, I am partial to S.W. Eugene - the south hills are nice. West Eugene in the Bethel/Danebo area has really sprung up with newer homes. The nicer areas, but more expensive are in the south hills, or near Coburg road area.

Affordable homes in Eugene are out North of River Road and the Bethel/Danebo area. Kind of a quirky place, but it grows on you. People are more interested in the environement and organic foods. Also, there are lots of bikes paths and trails to explore.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 134,220 times
Default driving between Eugene and Springfield?

[quote=Waterlily;509390]Springfeild is alright. Sure some areas are better than others. You'd just have to look around to find the nicer areas. It's building up quite a bit.

I believe some parts of Eugene are more expensive. West Eugene looks like it should be cheaper but it's sprawling out..

Hi. I'm also considering this area and have another question to add. How long and how easy is the drive from Springfield to Eugene and back again? If you live in Springfield, is it necessary to go to Eugene for everything, like markets, movies, restaurants?

I'm considering moving to Eugene, but the lower prices in Springfield are appealing. When I get old (not imminent but inevitable) is it possible to walk to markets in either place if I can no longer drive?

Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Sorry, I think I'm doing this all wrong and my post is not going where I want it too. I'm going to put it here (again) and see where it ends up.

Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Well, okay...3rd times the charm...

Hi. I'm also considering this area and have another question to add. How long and how easy is the drive from Springfield to Eugene and back again? If you live in Springfield, is it necessary to go to Eugene for everything, like markets, movies, restaurants?

I'm considering moving to Eugene, but the lower prices in Springfield are appealing. When I get old (not imminent but inevitable) is it possible to walk to markets in either place if I can no longer drive?

(Okay. I think it worked this time.)

Old 06-25-2007, 06:33 PM

54 posts, read 412,956 times
Default Eugene/Springfield

Hi
Good question. I can tell you that you are not alone on the quest to find better home prices in the Valley. Many people are doing the Eugene math and refuse to pay the high cost of living (expensive rain) and have moved to Springfield, Junction City and Cottage Grove. I think the drive to Springfield is not a big deal, there are many side street options during peak traffic times (5 to 20 min tops).

Eugene does have more stores, theatres, and recreation BUT they tax everything (an increased gas tax is coming) and Eugene can't get their downtown out of the dumps. I don't own a crystal ball but Springfield will no longer be the ugly sister in the very near future. It is worth the look but be careful about neighborhoods. Any neighborhoods that hug the I-5 corridor take hits from petty crime...Eugene (Harlow neighborhood) and Springfield (Gateway neighborhood). Hope this helps!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Default walk to market eugene

Oh and I forgot to answer about walking to the market. For now, Eugene has the best neighborhoods for walkable neighborhoods and food markets. Maybe someone from Springfield will give you input. Google: Market of Choice, Eugene OR and find where their stores are located and then you can see the neighborhoods (which are all great walkable neighborhoods).

Old 01-21-2008, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 45,379 times
Default Moving from Tokyo-please assist!

First, thanks for the good information. Second, please help! My wife, three kids (5,7,8), two dogs, and I are moving to Eugene-Springfield from Tokyo (USAF) this summer. I will be working at Willamette-McKenzie Hospital and love riding my bike to work (within a 10 mile radius from the hospital would be ideal).
If you were us, right now, where would you live and what schools would you put your children in? When we arrive this summer the schools will be out for the summer so it will be difficult for us to look around. Scores don't mean everything to us...the work ethic of the people in the area means much more...

We can afford a home up to about $500K but don't want our kids surrounded by overindulged brats. My wife and I have worked very hard (on our own) to get where we are and expect our children to do the same.

Thanks for your time!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renard View Post
First, thanks for the good information. Second, please help! My wife, three kids (5,7,8), two dogs, and I are moving to Eugene-Springfield from Tokyo (USAF) this summer. I will be working at Willamette-McKenzie Hospital and love riding my bike to work (within a 10 mile radius from the hospital would be ideal).
If you were us, right now, where would you live and what schools would you put your children in? When we arrive this summer the schools will be out for the summer so it will be difficult for us to look around. Scores don't mean everything to us...the work ethic of the people in the area means much more...

We can afford a home up to about $500K but don't want our kids surrounded by overindulged brats. My wife and I have worked very hard (on our own) to get where we are and expect our children to do the same.

Thanks for your time!
Welcome!
I like your attitude and work ethic. I would suggest that you read a recent article in the Eugene newspaper, Register Guard on Sunday 1/20/08, regarding the McKenzie Willamete hospital location. Bottom line (as we say) is that they still haven't decided where to build. I think you can get the article online, just Google Register Guard. Once they decide on where to build might determine your bike ride to work and schools for your children. I would rent a house for awhile and see how the real estate market unfolds as well as get a feel for the community. There are some beautiful homes in your price range in Springfield. Finding the right school and neighbor for your children will take time, so renting is best.
Near the University you will find more diversity, and more opportunities for cultural exchanges. Which is one river bridge and a few miles on the bike path to the existing hospital in Springfield.
I wish you and your family the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area