U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 AM

13 posts, read 36,079 times

Advertisements

Like countless others before me, I too am strongly considering moving to Eugene, as soon as this summer. I have a few concerns of my own, however, and some have been debated through various threads on this here message board. Nonetheless, I'd like to bring some of the topics up once again, in my own words, in hopes of being presented some solid feedback from individuals who actually live there.

I plan on transferring to the Trader Joe's in Eugene, as I have been working in the one in Cleveland, OH ever since I started to chip away at grad school (I didn't finish yet - I plan to eventually finish at UofO). This will ensure that I have a job to at least start with upon moving there, even though I have no desire to make this job my career (I was a teacher for a few years prior to pursuing grad school). Anyhow, my job concern is this - are there many non-retail/food service jobs available, even part time (e.g. non-profit, teacher assistants, outdoor education etc.)? I seem to find one or two on craigslist.com from time to time, but that's about it. Current poor economy aside, are there career opportunties here in with non-profits, in education, or other reputable occupation fields - or is Eugene more considered as a college town ideal for college life, with students moving on to other, bigger, more bustling cities upon graduating? (Also, TJ's is a GREAT company, and there is nothing wrong with working retail or food services, nothing at all, but such career paths are not for me. I don't want to offend or seem to come off as looking down on anyone who love/work in such occupational fields.)

I am extremely sensitive to dry, bitter cold winters - which is exactly what you get in Cleveland (one of the main reasons why I want to move). Without going into detail, I'll merely say that my skin reacts extremely poorly to being exposed to very dry and cold winter weather for lenghty periods of time. I've asked around and have done some research about the weather in Eugene and have gotten mixed answers. My conclusion so far - gorgeous from May - October, rainy from November to April. But just how cold and dry are the winters in Eugene, and how long does winter typically last? A lot of snowfall? I can deal with rain.

I've been hearing things about how poor the air quality is in Eugene. How true is this? I imagine that it can't be nearly as bad as Ohio's - mainly northeast Ohio/Cleveland - air quality.... can it? And by "poor air quality" do people mean there is a lot of pollution in the air, or is it just laden with allergins?

I'm a single 31-year-old male (no children, don't think I want them, even if married some day), mainly looking to settle somewhere that fits my personality and interests. I'm not a fan of big cities (another reason why I'm leaving Cleveland). I'm not a partier, excessive drinker, over-the-top sports fanatic (NFL and some hockey are all right), and don't dabble in any sort of drug use. I'm very "green" and love the outdoors, do a lot of hiking and birdwatching, and I enjoy soclializing with like-minded, open-minded, genuinely kind individuals of all ages and backgrounds. My question is, would someone like me "fit in" in Eugene? I'm confident that such a liberal city is more accepting of people who do not follow/fit the cookie cutter sterrotype personalities that most people seem to exhibit (Cleveland sure wasn't accepting - if you don't go nuts for sports or spend countless hours a week at bars then you're "not a man!") these days. The last thing I want to do is move somewhere new and again feel isolated and like an outsider. Also, it would be nice to start dating again, once I settle in and get used to the city. Is the dating scene as "shotty" as some of these threads have stated? I'm not attacted to loosely moraled partier girls, so I hope there aren't too many of those in town. If I have to go to bars to meet women, then I'll likely stay single for the rest of my life!

I appreciate any and all feedback provided, and I thank you guys in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:59 PM

13 posts, read 36,079 times
Any takers?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:22 PM

857 posts, read 1,515,871 times
Default Questions About Eugene Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forloveofbirds View Post
Any takers?
No I don't have any answers, except weather links (below) but I'm about his age and have the same questions about Eugene! Thanks to anyone who posts answers!

How has Oregon's unemployment rate affected you in Eugene?

How easy is it to eventually own your own property in the Southern Willamette Valley? Here in Flagstaff, homes and land are very expensive due to: 1) Smart Growth; and 2) Impact Fees -- which both drive home, rent, and food prices through the roof (no pun intended).

Eugene's cost of living index is only 94 (!), versus over 100 in Boulder and Santa Fe, and 120 here in Flagstaff, Arizona.

I lived in Corvallis, Oregon twice in the 1990's and loved it there, except for the rain. Born and raised in Seattle, and the Southwest clearly isn't for me, because there is a lack of an entrepreneurial spirit. I love the scenery in the Siskiyou Mountains.

The weather in the Willamette Valley is very temperate year round (i.e. very few extremes in temps). Some of the most mildest and least windy parts of the US are in S.W. Oregon, N.E. California - such as Eugene, Grants Pass, Roseburg, etc. Ashland has a much sunnier climate but has the growth restrictions.

National Weather Service Eugene Climate Summary Temps And Precip And Snow
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?or2709

National Weather Service Winds For All Cities in US Western States
http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westwind.final.html

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 04-14-2009 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Weather Linx

Old 04-14-2009, 11:42 PM

231 posts, read 732,599 times
I'll take a stab at some of your questions. First of all, I should state that I have lived in Eugene for about a year.

Weather: I don't like cold weather either. Eugene's winters are not a problem at all. A couple of days of "wow, it's cold!" and that's about it. The big issue is rain...or I should say, the big issue that is always brought up in these forums is rain. I have been through one winter here, and although it was a light year for rain, I had no problem at all with it. My trick: Don't ever talk about the rain. Just ignore it. Go out and do whatever you were planning on doing, rain or no rain. Get some nice waterproof jackets. Never carry an umbrella. (People here rarely use umbrellas...seriously!).

Snow? Very little. Mainly just some fun for a week or so.

Air quality: The old stories are based on one or two years when farmers burned the grass fields (at the end of harvest) and the winds suddenly shifted. That was a long time ago. Now this is barely an issue and grass burning is strictly controlled and will be totally outlawed soon. You are right though about allergens/pollen. It gets a little "sneezy" here in spring. For me, not a problem. But if you are very sensitive to pollen, then it could be a problem.

Also, since Oregon bizarrely has loose pollution controls on motor vehicles, the air does get a little "thick" around major highways or at big intersections. Nothing terrible, but I have noticed an heavy exhaust problem a couple of times when stopped at a signal with my car windows open.

Lifestyle: I think the people in this area are quite open to a non-traditional lifestyle (i.e. no need to hit the bars to meet people). There are lots of weird little groups focused in special interests (forests, flowers, birds, hiking, volunteer work, etc). Also the UO is very open about allowing local people taking a class or two on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area