U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2009, 02:06 AM

857 posts, read 1,512,487 times

Advertisements

Hey,

There are debates going on right now on the Flagstaff, Sedona, Boulder, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque forums over whether or not the people are cliquish and unfriendly.

Having lived in Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff, I can say that they are. They do not hire you unless you're local. It's very hard to make friends or get to know your neighbors. People never return phone calls or emails.

Having never lived in Boulder and Eugene, I have no idea.

This seems to be a problem with some college towns.

As one who is about to leave Flagstaff, and who has been turned down from jobs, because the locals only hire who they know, I will never again live in a cliquish town.

Born and raised in Seattle, and having lived in Corvallis, I just cannot imagine that Eugene would be unwelcoming to newcomers in any way.

Many people here in Arizona and New Mexico from the Pacific NW, East Coast, and Upper Midwest want to go back.

Unfortunately, they can't because they have families or manage hotels or have legal practices.

I can escape as a young single guy.

This Cliquishness seems to be a Southwest desert phenomenon.

What do you guys think about Eugene?

=Tom
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,190,107 times
I don't get the impression that Eugene is cliquey. I can't imagine it being. It's just about the friendliest gosh darn town in Oregon. But I've never lived there, so... I don't know.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:10 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,798,652 times
We moved to Eugene from out of state. We've found people here to be very kind and warm, but reserved. We like this, actually. People tend to respect your privacy, and tend to keep to themselves and behave more respectfully towards others as far as personal space goes. Diversity seems to be truly valued here. People for the most part are tolerant and friendly, but not imposing. Most of the people we've met here have been just really good-quality, friendly, laid-back people. I'm from the south where people can become too close too quick (in my opinion). I felt smothered there. I know a lot of praise is placed upon "southern hospitality" but from my experience, from my perspective, it was just exhausting, just emotionally draining - and I'm a native southerner (go figure...). So it's really nice to be in a place where people are more conservative and thoughtful with how they go about forming relationships.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 AM

Default US Personalities: Eugene Sounds Like Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We moved to Eugene from out of state. We've found people here to be very kind and warm, but reserved. We like this, actually. People tend to respect your privacy, and tend to keep to themselves and behave more respectfully towards others as far as personal space goes. Diversity seems to be truly valued here. People for the most part are tolerant and friendly, but not imposing......So it's really nice to be in a place where people are more conservative and thoughtful with how they go about forming relationships......

Sounds EXACTLY like Seattle!

Yes we native Northwesterners are reserved, but still friendly.
Oregon scores very low on the Extrovert scale:

The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Old 05-01-2009, 11:44 AM

19 posts, read 88,347 times
from what I've read and heard from my mother and a close family friend who has lived there for more then 20 years. Eugene is a great place to live and the people are really nice . We are moving there this summer. We are from Pennsylvania and we live in central florida and we hate it here for many reasons.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,464,722 times
Clickish? No. As a poster mentioned earlier, Eugene shares a lot of characteristics with Seattle. Friendly on the outside, reserved on the inside. Perhaps why the two cities hate each other so much...they share the same personality and they play a Pac-10 football game against each other every year! No, really, there is some psychology in all this...

Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,663 times
not to but in , but how is the employment there for blue collar folks ? I prefer to work outside and i am thinking of moving to Eugene.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 PM

4 posts, read 17,090 times
ugh.......again Tom, why don't you just visit the places? Your going to get different answers from all different types of people. People that love it will say "oh people are great and friendly and blah blah" people that hate it will say "oh the people are terrible, very cliquish blah blah"

If you really want to get to know a place, you have to go there and experience it for yourself.

You obviously hate the SW, I love it, I grew up there. Yea, it has its good and bad, but its my home.
The PNW? I love it, live here now. Yea, it has its good and bad, buts its my home.

You seem to be looking for the perfect utopia of a town that is going to be socially aggressive in their liberal ideals and open to all races, genders, sexual orientations and etc etc. You will never find it, anywhere, want to know why? It doesn't exist! Not even in Seattle.
You can claim Seattle is open to this and that and neighbors don't care and you can be whatever you want and yadda yadda. You and I both know, that's not true, you can be Seattles biggest cheerleader, but every place has issues. Maybe you lived in a great neightborhood dream come true...In larger cities, you will have communities and areas where people will congregate to others like themselves..its a pack instinct. Smaller communities have a harder time establishing that because of the size.
Just go visit and find your place...

Old 05-08-2009, 01:56 AM

Default One Screen Name Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennerator View Post
ugh.......again Tom, why don't you just visit the places? Your going to get different answers from all different types of people. People tha..........
I do not appreciate the rant against my post, in what was otherwise a reasonable question, considering that the economy and personality are linked.

I do not "hate" any place in the US. To interpret what are otherwise carefully written posts / observations as -- "hate" -- is unfortunate.

However, there is never anything wrong with disagreement in the worlds of politics, economics, and urban planning -- as long as it's done respectfully.

I try my very best to respectfully write my posts on city-data, and would ask that you give me the same courtesy.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: off topic material removed

Old 05-08-2009, 02:01 AM

25,106 posts, read 36,498,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
I do not appreciate the rant against my post, in what was otherwise a reasonable question, .
There was no rant - the OP gave you a good, clear, concise answer. The only way to know a town is to go visit it.

That's no rant. That is practical advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area