U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times

Advertisements

Just flew back to LA after an exporatory trip to Eugene. It is so gorgeous in Eugene. Lush, laid back, I loved it. Bopped around downtown and it seems like every other store front has a for lease sign. The restaurants were very empty. Would love to attend Lane Community College, the most beautiful setting for a school I have ever seen. So, I'm a career waitress, unfortunatly yet fortunatly I'm very good at it. Have tons of college credits and would like to pick something else to be...love school too. Can you pay rent and bills living in Eugene as a waitress? And if yes, where? Spent yesterday in Portland and it seems more people are eating out there. What's with all the Thai places in Eugene? No good ol' downhome comfort food or did I miss it?
Weather was gorgeous-rain then sun then rain then sun-every hour it changed. And the big beautiful trees! Wow, that made me feel good. Also, yes the water out of the tap was delicious.
Flew back into the basin of smog today, concrete and palm trees, tall skinny trees with a few leaves at the top.
Any advice out there for a great waitress who wants to get out of this crazy jam-packed city?

Last edited by janedelorean; 05-15-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: elaboration
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 02:32 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,218,679 times
Unfortunately the employment situation in Eugene (and all of Oregon) is not very good right now. Eugene is worse than the Oregon average with at least 14% unemployment. You're going to have a hell of a hard time finding a job, especially in any service or hospitality industry such as waiting tables and the like. I'm going to Lane next year full time and I will have saved enough to live on and pay my tuition through the entire school year so that I don't have the stress of trying to find a job that's probably not there to begin with. My only advice is to stay where you are until you finish school and until the economy improves. Or save A LOT of money before you come up here. I can't blame you for wanting to move up here, but unfortunately it's just a really bad time to do that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area