U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,146 times

Advertisements

Well said.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 AM

857 posts, read 1,512,487 times
Default Arizona Vs. Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaflewis View Post
Not to sound all wierd but I was a bit concerned looking at the kids as well. Now I am no prude...but the kids all looked a bit like urchins. I don't necessarily need my kid to have name brand clothing or even to match (which most of them did not) - but I do comb her hair!
Thanks for your comments, as someone from the Northwest, they remind me of posts criticizing Arizona on the Arizona forum! If you are from Arizona you will not like Oregon or Washington, just as those of us originally from Oregon and Washington hate Arizona (and also neighborhing New Mexico). I did not like Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe, NM.

You will find Oregon much too liberal, especially on social issues, gay rights, and unions, although we don't care how many guns you own. And, whereas in Arizona those of us Libertarian Liberals are shunned, attacked, and banned on Arizona message boards, we are welcomed with open arms in Washington and Oregon, proudly supporting Dennis Kucinich, Ralph Nader, and Michael Badnarik in Oregon and Washington. And finally, you may not get our sarcasm either, including this post

The reason why there's a conflict between Arizonans and Oregonians is a flip in the ratio of the Open to Experience versus Consciencious personality scores, as revealed by the one year old and now very famous "United States of Mind" study. I took the test, and scored like someone from New England, so that's the best fit for me, second place: Washington, Oregon, California (born and raised in Seattle):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122211987961064719.html

Old 10-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Default Eugene, Flagstaff, LDS, Utah, Gays

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaflewis View Post
Metlakatla -

(Comments Truncated.)

We came from Utah where being Non Mormon/ Not as Conservative was an issue and there is a happy medium on many things in my mind.

I want to live in a town where people are perhaps gay but do not move there because they are. I feel that way on many issues.

We moved out of Utah for that reason...For example be Mormon but you do not have to all congregate together...and condemn people for not participating.

I still like Mormons though...the ones that have balance. I feel the same way about gay lifestyles/ hippies/ drugs/ drinking etc..
Great comments in all of your posts in this thread. Having lived in both the NW and Arizona it's incredible to read viewpoints from a similar scenario.

1. Flagstaff, Arizona is Eugene's twin city in the Southwest in terms of the politics and lifestyle, although it's not really that liberal. The City Council this spring failed to pass a City gay civil rights ordiance for employment, and the nurses and electricians tried to unionize w/o success, among other issues.

2. The LDS population in Lane County, Oregon (encoompassing Eugene) is higher than the national average, about 10% adherents on City-Data.Com. Southwest Oregon has a high percentage of LDS as does NW California.

3. The LDS participate in establishing many pro-family, pro-fitness outdoor activities such as bike trails in many US communities, even liberal ones, such as Flagstaff, Arizona. Many LDS are organic farmers. Overall their emphasis on fitness, nutrition, and diet from the 1829 Divinely Inspired Document is an example for the rest of us.

4. You say you want to live in a town where people are perhaps gay, but do not move there because they are. However, it seems that most gays end up concentrating in places such as San Francisco, Santa Fe, Seattle, Manhattan, Vermont, etc.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 AM

Default Poster Is Not Naive At All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
minaflewis-

I would urge you to look at another city. Your posts alone were quite niave, unresearched and frankly, a bit offensive. Now, you may have not intended to insult anyone by calling the kids urchins with unkept hair, but had you done that in front of some people in Eugene, I don't think too many people would keep their mouths closed. Now, I'm not going to get in a discussion about the content of your other posts, so let's look at reasons you may want to reconsider moving to Eugene.

Not naive at all. The poster is articulately voicing their frustrations with a liberal city. The more passion, the better the post, even if it is overgeneralized as you suggest. I think the best thing about the US is that we have diversity in political viewpoints, cultures, and religions in different states and counties. This is the best thread I've ever read on City-Data, because I've lived in both Washington, Oregon, and Arizona and know exactly what the original poster is talking about.

How about Bend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area