U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 PM

43 posts, read 146,674 times

Advertisements

I'm from California finishing my undergraduate studies. I'm considering applying to several graduate programs in Oregon to complete my Master of Art in Teaching or Masters degree in education. My top pick at this time would be University of Oregon. The negative for me is the price for out of state, but this will be true for all the places I'm going to apply to.

Has anyone gone through the UO Teach program where you receive k-12 licensure and a Masters in Education? How was is? Is the program rather competitive to get into?

Has anyone gone through a teacher prep program at other universities in Oregon and maybe have some advice/experience there? The other programs I am thinking of applying to are:

Lewis and Clark College
Oregon State University
Portland State
Southern Oregon University
University of Portland
Western Oregon University
Willamette University

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:40 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,151,379 times
Although I graduated from the U of O, I ended up going to Pacific University for my master's. I knew a lot of people at UO that were a bit disappointed with the program. In their opinion, UO was geared more for research as it is a huge research school in education having developed some known programs (PBS, DIBELS). Also, UO seemed to focus too much time on the foundations of education. Plus, at the time UO wanted me to take extra courses such as elementary music, and literature which although nice to have, have never been needed in my years of teaching.

Pacific seemed to get down to business and attempted to teach what we may come across in the profession. However, at UO you used to come out with a minor in Special Education which would be a great asset to have. My final deciding factor was simple, will I get hired coming out of Pacific? I had already been working in the Springfield Public Schools and I spoke with teachers and found far more teachers had come out of the Pacific program in Eugene than UO. So, that settled it for me.

Now, that was at least four years ago, but my mentor teacher now works for UO as a mentor teacher in their program and he said he liked the Pacific program better. He also said UO is changing the program up a bit, so who knows?

Remember one thing. Most of these programs are just loopholes you have to jump through in order to teach. You will learn far more in your first 1-2 years than you ever did in the program.

But, I'm a Duck, so I can't hate too much...just don't go to Oregon State...they're stinky.

College of Education at Pacific University

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM

43 posts, read 146,674 times
Default Pacific University

Thank you for the reply and the helpful information.

I'm learning more about the MAT Flex program at Pacific. At the FAQ page, it states classes are offered at Forest Grove and Eugene. Are there two different campuses? I'm finding more information about the Forest Grove option. If you don't mind me asking, which do you attend? Is Forest Grove a nice place to live for the 9 months of the program? Did you find that the Pacific program helped you secure a position once you left the program? You mentioned that you were already working with the Springfield school system, was that through the program's student teaching?

Thanks for all the help and the positive thoughts. I really appreciate it.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,151,379 times
Pacific University has two programs offered through the College of Education, Forest Grove and Eugene. The main university is in Forest Grove, a small town about 40 mins. outside of Portland. Pacific also has only an Education program in Eugene, downtown in a small building. Both teach the same thing.

I went to the Eugene campus as I was already living there (graduated from UO) and had all my friends there. I wouldn't want to live in Forest Grove, especially as a graduate student...boring! However, Portland is close and is a great city. I actually began graduate school at The University of Tennessee in their Urban/Multicultural Education program. But, long story short, it was way to conservative for me and I ended up returning to Eugene, the prodigal son.

Besides the reasons I listed before, I felt Pacific focused more on multiculturalism in the schools, even though there isn't too much diversity in Oregon.

I had three offers to teach coming out of Pacific and would have been the third to be hired from my program of 35-45 people. Two schools were in Springfield and the other in Eugene's 4J. I ran a before/after school program in Springfield. These programs are located in all the schools in SPS, so I knew the teachers, principals and staff at a few schools pretty well. However, at the schools that offered, I knew no one before interviewing.

That area is very competitive to get a job. There are three education programs in Eugene alone, so if you want to teach there, it will be tough. I do think that Pacific students are often looked upon favorably because there are so many graduates there, and many of them (MAT students) are a bit older (25ish-up) instead of just out of undergrad.

I actually wanted to leave Oregon after I graduated and now live in Austin, Texas. I received numerous offers after arriving in Austin. I have taught in an inner city school in Austin and now I am in a more middle class school in a city called Pflugerville (next to Austin). I think Pacific prepared me as best they could, but like I said, you'll learn so much those first few years.

One last thing, the cost. Grad School is expensive, especially at those private schools. Teachers, as you know, make little for tha amount of work they do, so keep that in mind.

http://www.forestgrovenewstimes.com/news/index.php

http://www.forestgrove-or.gov/visitors/local-dining-&-wine-bars.html (broken link)

Old 07-02-2009, 12:11 PM

1,313 posts, read 6,039,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
One last thing, the cost. Grad School is expensive, especially at those private schools. Teachers, as you know, make little for tha amount of work they do, so keep that in mind.
That is a good point, and one that can be carried further. You should consider whether or not getting a Masters will enhance or diminish your employability in a climate of fiscal austerity. Most districts are looking to cut pennies everywhere they can. If they have a choice between two teachers with equivalent amounts of experience, but one will cost an extra $1500 a year, which one do you think is most likely to get hired...the more highly schooled teacher or the more affordable one? It's a shame that it should come down to this, but it often does. Between what grad school will cost and what it will pay out ever the years in additional salary and employability benefits...or burdens...makes it a gambit of questionable economics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area