U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

231 posts, read 733,038 times

Advertisements

FYI, the link you gave above shows a location in Springfield, not Eugene. Anything on the east side of Highway 5 is Springfield, west side in Eugene.

When I Google-mapped the company, it gave me the address: 245 West 5th Avenue, Eugene, OR

This address IS actually in Eugene near 5th and Lincoln, which is basically on the north end of the downtown district. An OK place to hang around with some nice bars and restaurants. Check out Steelhead Brewery for great seafood and beer, Morning Glory Cafe for vegan breakfast food, and Sixth Street Grill (for reliable food in a slightly boring atmosphere).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 32,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
FYI, the link you gave above shows a location in Springfield, not Eugene. Anything on the east side of Highway 5 is Springfield, west side in Eugene.

When I Google-mapped the company, it gave me the address: 245 West 5th Avenue, Eugene, OR

This address IS actually in Eugene near 5th and Lincoln, which is basically on the north end of the downtown district. An OK place to hang around with some nice bars and restaurants. Check out Steelhead Brewery for great seafood and beer, Morning Glory Cafe for vegan breakfast food, and Sixth Street Grill (for reliable food in a slightly boring atmosphere).
Ohhhhh. Well ok this all sounds very complicated but since you sound correct I'll just take your word for it. Thanks!
From what I read about the internship, we'll be staying in an interns house at around that area.
How's the crime scene there? Is it dangerous to wander around at night? Cause SG is really really safe, not that I ever got a chance to hang out since my curfew is 11pm. Haha.

Also, is it near Willamette Street?

Thanks!!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM

You can find the location on Google maps and then check out the surrounding streets including Willamette.

In terms of safety, it's fine during the day but I would be careful not to walk around at night by myself in that area. Crime data can be seen at: Eugene police call log (beta) | The Register-Guard

Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,842,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post
By e way I found a place with squash clubs, downtown athletic club. It's at 999 Willamette Street Eugene Oregon 97401
How far is it from... let's say, the college since I might be staying pretty near there..
Another place I found was e ymca. Does anybody know anything any these places?
That's cool that they have squash courts here! I know Downtown Athletic Club is known for being kinda yuppie, trendy, and expensive. My husbands boss used to go there to work out (and pick up hot rich chicks, or at least rich-looking...). The YMCA is way more low-key and affordable, with lots of families and laid-back types. Just depends on what you're comfortable with.

I looked up garage games and I know who you're talking about now! I used to be friends with a mom whose husband is one of the managers there. Long story - sorry! And it's in Eugene, not Springfield.

Be careful walking around at night. Don't go out alone, always with friends or a group. The Downtown area can be iffy, especially the areas where there are bars/drinking. During the day you'll be fine though.

The ski slopes don't usually open until about... hmmm.. November? You can check websites for more info, here's one: Mt. Bachelor Ski Resort - Mt. Bachelor Summer and this one Hoodoo Recreation

As far as temps. Wear and bring layers. Jeans, t-shirt, hooded sweater or jacket. That's about what people wear here year-round. In summer they switch out shorts for jeans and sandals for their running shoes. You'll need a warm water-resistant coat with a hood for exploring the coast and trips to the mountains. Even during the summer, the coast here is often cold. Bring a comfy sweater.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:11 PM

11 posts, read 32,219 times
Hm I guess it's gonna cost some money to play squash there.. Haha. Anyway I'll be around for 3 months so I guess I'll be able to go to the ski slopes then (hallelujah!)
Oh by the way, what is the fastest transport to Seattle? And how long and how much would it take? Cause there's a church I'm very interested in having a look at in Seattle so I was thinking of going to have a look over the weekends. (:
Are there any theme parks in the nearby cities?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post
Hm I guess it's gonna cost some money to play squash there.. Haha. Anyway I'll be around for 3 months so I guess I'll be able to go to the ski slopes then (hallelujah!)
Oh by the way, what is the fastest transport to Seattle? And how long and how much would it take? Cause there's a church I'm very interested in having a look at in Seattle so I was thinking of going to have a look over the weekends. (:
Are there any theme parks in the nearby cities?
It's about 4.5 hours to Seattle... but add two hours on to that because of how bad traffic is starting at around Tacoma.... If you're not going to have a car while you're here... I think there are trains that will take you straight to Seattle... Try this link...

Theme parks.... hmmm... there is an indoor water park on I-5 on your way to Seattle: Grand Mound Waterpark - Great Wolf Resorts - Grand Mound Family Resort

As far as like a Six Flags kind of place... with big roller coasters and crazy rides and all... we really don't have a lot of that kind of stuff here in the PNW. I think the closest place like that to us would be in San Francisco? Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Is that right? There are some smaller theme parks like Enchanted Village in Salem... but it's geared more towards families with young children. No big rides or anything. And I heard a rumor that it might be closing?

In September, in Salem, there is the state fair Oregon State Fair 2009 | - It's BIG!! and they will have rides set up... but it's not the same as like a big theme park. I grew up in Texas, and we had some really awesome theme parks there! In Texas they try to do everything bigger and faster!

If you like churches, you might want to check out Mt. Angel while you're here - Welcome to Mt. Angel Oregon The Benedictine Sisters of Mt. Angel

Old 08-10-2009, 07:49 PM

5,757 posts, read 7,162,815 times
I wouldn't be *very* worried about walking around at night, but it's always good to be out with a few other people. You don't want to be walking along at 2am and get mugged. It could happen anywhere.

I think that Eugene would be a very interesting place to see. It's a small town but you won't get bored being there for only 3 months. Portland is only about an hour away. If you like to go hiking and see the outdoors there are amazing places to go hiking where you will see no one else the entire time. The University of Oregon is an interesting place to hang out, even if you're not a student. There will be all kinds of lectures, talks etc going on while you're there.

The food won't be great but you'll survive. There are some Chinese restaurants there, and one that claims to be Indonesian by the university, but none are all that great. You might be able to find some bihun if you're lucky.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Beg to differ. The Chinese food in Eugene is horrendously bad, and you will certainly not find any bihun (that's funny that zitsky used this hokkien spelling) worth eating. Maybe the closest thing to SE Asian food is Ta Ra Rin and that's only good by Eugene standards (low).

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Chinese food... hmmm... I was told the other day to try Toshi's. On Pearl St.? I haven't been there... but what gets me is that we were talking about Chinese food, and I was griping that the Chinese food in Eugene is so sad... and this person said that I needed to go to Toshi's... but I looked it up and... I think it's a Japanese place? Teriyaki and Ramen? That's Japanese, isn't it?

Why do so many American's always try to lump all Asian countries together as if they're all the same?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:48 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,262,442 times
I think the whole "laid-back" thing that you hear about has a lot to do with appearances and priorities here. People in Eugene don't care so much about how a person dresses, what sort of clothes they wear, how they style their hair, what shoes they have on, etc.

Eugene - a.k.a Bluejean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area