U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 PM

231 posts, read 733,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Chinese food... hmmm... I was told the other day to try Toshi's. On Pearl St.? I haven't been there... but what gets me is that we were talking about Chinese food, and I was griping that the Chinese food in Eugene is so sad... and this person said that I needed to go to Toshi's... but I looked it up and... I think it's a Japanese place? Teriyaki and Ramen? That's Japanese, isn't it?

Why do so many American's always try to lump all Asian countries together as if they're all the same?
Yeah, Toshi's is located on Pearl/15th, and it is a Japanese ramen place. Good by Eugene standards, so so by Japanese standards. It is not cheap though, and the service is slooooow for no explicable reason. If you really want to learn about the culture of Japanese ramen, I highly recommend you first watch a very good Japanese movie called Tampopo. It is available in Netflix.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 09:34 AM

11 posts, read 32,246 times
Thanks for the comments (: So the university of oregon allows anybody into it even if they are not a student? That's pretty cool! (: What kind of talks to they have there?

Shucks I'm quite a food person, ah wels. I don't need asian food.. I've got enough of that here. Silly to go all the way there and eat chinese food! It's usually spelt as beehoon actually. Haha. u it's okay, all I just want..yummy and cheap food. Hahaha (:

Uhm uhm, what does Aylalou's comment mean?

Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,218,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post
Thanks for the comments (: So the university of oregon allows anybody into it even if they are not a student? That's pretty cool! (: What kind of talks to they have there?

Shucks I'm quite a food person, ah wels. I don't need asian food.. I've got enough of that here. Silly to go all the way there and eat chinese food! It's usually spelt as beehoon actually. Haha. u it's okay, all I just want..yummy and cheap food. Hahaha (:

Bluejean is a nickname for Eugene because it is so laid back here that people only ever wear jeans and never anything more fancy. That's not entirely true, but that's its repuation anyway. It is very laid back.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Yeah, Toshi's is located on Pearl/15th, and it is a Japanese ramen place. Good by Eugene standards, so so by Japanese standards. It is not cheap though, and the service is slooooow for no explicable reason. If you really want to learn about the culture of Japanese ramen, I highly recommend you first watch a very good Japanese movie called Tampopo. It is available in Netflix.
Thank you Mr. E! My husband and I are always on the look-out for interesting things to add to our Netflix queue. I love foodie films.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,096,775 times
Default squash courts

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OK... I'll try to answer your questions.

My husband lived in Singapore for a little while - he LOVED it there! So I sorta of have an idea of where you're coming from. Eugene isn't really anything like Singapore at all, so be prepared for a bit of a culture shock.

Eugene is a small college town. In America, when someone says the place is a "college town", what they usually mean is that the main thing that brings people to the town is the college, and that life in the town is heavily influenced by the college kids...

So... there are a lot of bars, lots of local brew, lots of music, lots of art, lots of coffee shops, lots of bookstores, lots of places to shop, lots of health food stores and restaurants that serve the "college food du jour" (what the college kids are into eating at the moment....)... If you're into that kind of stuff, you'll find things you like and that will keep you busy here.

Also, if you're into the outdoors - hiking, boating, kayaking, bike riding, canoeing, skiing, mountaineering, beach combing, climbing trees, rock climbing, geocaching, rafting, wildlife watching, fishing, crabbing, clamming, photography, horseback riding, riding the dunes, road trips, exploring wilderness, lakes, and all that kind of stuff - you'll also have a blast here.

My husband tells me that Singapore is really clean. He has lived in lots of different countries, and of all of them he says that Singapore was the cleanest. Eugene as a city is kind of dirty. Even I notice it, and I'm from America. We have a huge homeless population and lots of careless college kids and I guess they tend to leave their trash and stuff around. I feel like I am constantly picking up trash where ever I go. I thought I'd just share that with you, too, so you won't be shocked by it when you get here. We're not all slobs here in America, but in Eugene there does seem to be a large number of them!

And the time you go to work and go home from work depends on what sort of job you have... my husband works quite a bit, sometimes 16-hour days, but others may work only 8-hour shifts or something... it just depends on your job.

And as far as I know there aren't any squash courts here? Hmmm...

I think the whole "laid-back" thing that you hear about has a lot to do with appearances and priorities here. People in Eugene don't care so much about how a person dresses, what sort of clothes they wear, how they style their hair, what shoes they have on, etc. They care more about what that person is about, what they know, what they can do, their talents... that sort of thing. So there is a "laid-back" vibe in that you can come as you are and be who you are without having to look a certain way.

My husband and I regularly go to the symphony to hear great music. The first time we went, we dressed up in really nice clothes. Being from other places, we thought that was what you had to do to be presentable enough to go to the symphony. Well... not in Eugene!! People were wearing all kinds of things... many were even in Birkenstock sandals and shorts and hoodie sweatshirts - at the symphony! We were shocked, but also relieved. In Eugene - it's about the substance and the enjoyment of life, not appearances and materialistic crap. Now we wear nice but casual clothes when we go, and we sit back and enjoy the music.

Eugene is not a pretentious place at all. (Though, there are a lot of people you'll see who come here from other places and who still put on appearances like it matters here... don't worry about them... they are just brainwashed and clueless...)

Good luck with your stay here, and if you want to be more specific about your interests maybe I can suggest some things you might want to check out while you're here.
the ymca has squash courts, i think. somebody does... i'm sure of it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Shops do close kind of early here & alot of places seem to be closed either on Sunday or Monday.

Not alot of late night stuff to do outside of bar type experiences & maybe some kind of music venue. You could go to the WOW Hall. The WOW Hall is named for the Woodsmen Of the World. I thought that was so cool when I found out.

Eugene is a mill town. That means it's a place where there are wood mills. I guess that's all that was going on in Oregon before they got universities & college sports. I guess it's more of a college town now, but the mill presence is still pretty strong.

I wasn't born here, but I wish I had been. I love the nature here (it's like living in a city surrounded by forest) & the people tend to be friendly & relaxed. It's "kick back" like it was in the '70's in California where I grew up. I love it here! I think you'll like it too.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:48 AM

Golden Orient on 11th street & Hong Kong Restaurant on Willamette & 18th have Chinese food that I love. Also Twin Dragon in Eugene but it's in a neighborhood called Santa Clara, on River Road. It's my absolute favorite. I get very excited when I can order from there.

None of these are very CHEAP but they all seem fairly priced & very yummy. Golden Orient is closed on Monday. I've heard that Kowloon's is very popular with the college students I've met, but it isn't near me so I don't know personally.

The worst, in my opinion, is a place called Good Taste on River Road.

It's funny you said something about coming here to taste the local Chinese food. I asked my Bavarian cousin if there were good Chinese restaurants where he lives because I don't think I like German food - hahaha! When I went to Australia, I didn't like the Aussie food either. But I LOVED the ethnic foods: Chinese, Greek, Italian.

By the way, when you order, you can always ask for extra "whatever"... I usually ask for extra bean sprouts. They don't seem to ever put bok choy in the food, though. I love bok choy.

There is an excellent Asian Market in Eugene, on 29th & Willamette, you can see them online at www.sunriseasianfood.com & see reveiws at Sunrise Asian Food Market . They have a fantastic selection of fresh fruit & veggies (very pretty bok choys!)

Let us know how your visit goes!

Kate

Old 08-20-2009, 12:51 AM

The YMCA is probably the lowest price choice. It's in an easy to get to location. I think you'd like it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 AM

Default university

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post

I don't think the classes are open to the general public. The campus is open though. It's not like there's a gate with a guard. You just walk on campus & you can look around. I've been there for a job interview. I arrived early & walked into buildings to look for a restroom. There were places open that had refreshments,too, early in the morning.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM

231 posts, read 733,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Golden Orient on 11th street & Hong Kong Restaurant on Willamette & 18th have Chinese food that I love. Also Twin Dragon in Eugene but it's in a neighborhood called Santa Clara, on River Road. It's my absolute favorite. I get very excited when I can order from there.

None of these are very CHEAP but they all seem fairly priced & very yummy. Golden Orient is closed on Monday. I've heard that Kowloon's is very popular with the college students I've met, but it isn't near me so I don't know personally.

The worst, in my opinion, is a place called Good Taste on River Road.

It's funny you said something about coming here to taste the local Chinese food. I asked my Bavarian cousin if there were good Chinese restaurants where he lives because I don't think I like German food - hahaha! When I went to Australia, I didn't like the Aussie food either. But I LOVED the ethnic foods: Chinese, Greek, Italian.

By the way, when you order, you can always ask for extra "whatever"... I usually ask for extra bean sprouts. They don't seem to ever put bok choy in the food, though. I love bok choy.

There is an excellent Asian Market in Eugene, on 29th & Willamette, you can see them online at www.sunriseasianfood.com & see reveiws at Sunrise Asian Food Market . They have a fantastic selection of fresh fruit & veggies (very pretty bok choys!)

Let us know how your visit goes!

Kate
Good answers to a lot of questions today, Kate. Thanks. But you really missed on this one.

Keep in mind that the OP is from Singapore, the place with probably the best Chinese food in all of Asia (plus really good Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. food). Plus they have nice sanitary standards, so the food is great plus you don't get sick from it like you do in China and Hong Kong.

With that in mind, I have to say that the Chinese food in Eugene is terrible. Seriously, it is really really bad. The best we have is Panda Express, and that's a fast food chain. Tom's Tea House is the worst Chinese food on earth. Ocean Sky is not far behind. I once ate at Golden Orient and the owner told me not to bother ordering anything from the menu since it is all terribly Americanized and bad tasting. The owner said that...Ha ha!

I once asked a friend from Taiwan who has lived in Eugene for many years, "What is the best Chinese restaurant in Eugene?" He looked at me and very seriously asked, "Are there any Chinese restaurants in Eugene??? I don't think so." Of course, he was joking. The point being that the Chinese restaurants in Eugene are so bad as to not even be considered Chinese.

On the other hand, Sunrise is a passable Asian market. They are better for Korean stuff, but the Chinese and Japanese selection is ok also. There are two other Chinese grocery stores, Kings and Yi Shen. Both are ok, but not as good as Sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area