U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,096,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Good answers to a lot of questions today, Kate. Thanks. But you really missed on this one.

Keep in mind that the OP is from Singapore, the place with probably the best Chinese food in all of Asia (plus really good Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. food). Plus they have nice sanitary standards, so the food is great plus you don't get sick from it like you do in China and Hong Kong.

With that in mind, I have to say that the Chinese food in Eugene is terrible. Seriously, it is really really bad. The best we have is Panda Express, and that's a fast food chain. Tom's Tea House is the worst Chinese food on earth. Ocean Sky is not far behind. I once ate at Golden Orient and the owner told me not to bother ordering anything from the menu since it is all terribly Americanized and bad tasting. The owner said that...Ha ha!

I once asked a friend from Taiwan who has lived in Eugene for many years, "What is the best Chinese restaurant in Eugene?" He looked at me and very seriously asked, "Are there any Chinese restaurants in Eugene??? I don't think so." Of course, he was joking. The point being that the Chinese restaurants in Eugene are so bad as to not even be considered Chinese.

On the other hand, Sunrise is a passable Asian market. They are better for Korean stuff, but the Chinese and Japanese selection is ok also. There are two other Chinese grocery stores, Kings and Yi Shen. Both are ok, but not as good as Sunrise.
Hi Mr. E!

Have you compared Panda Express's Orange Chicken to the versions served at the places I mentioned? It's called Sweet & Sour Chicken at Hong Kong Restaurant (on 18th St.). I think it's the same at all the places I mentioned. I love Orange Chicken, no matter what it's called at a different restaurant. And if you ask for extra bean sprouts, it's not a problem. I don't think you can do that at Panda unless they happen to make up a fresh batch for you!!!

I know ethnic food in America is usually some kind of bastardization of the original, but I've never been to China, Greece or Italy. I just know what I like... here in my own little world... And he did ask for recommendations...

However... Panda Express could be the cheapest of the choices, if I had actually remembered to include that as a choice. Good call, then. I hereby include Panda Express *chuckle*

But really, give the little guys at Twin Dragon, Golden Orient or Hong Kong Restaurant a try!!! I think they're independents, not chains. Since I didn't think about comparing prices, I don't know how that part rates with Panda...

At least when you go to Hong Kong Restaurant, you can look right in from the take out window & see how clean they are *grin*

All the places I mentioned look like they're family run, which is nice to see... Except for Panda... Which is only at the Valley River Mall & outside Home Depot on Seneca, to my knowledge...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 01:25 PM

11 posts, read 32,246 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that the OP is from Singapore, the place with probably the best Chinese food in all of Asia (plus really good Thai, Indonesian, Malaysian, etc. food). Plus they have nice sanitary standards, so the food is great plus you don't get sick from it like you do in China and Hong Kong.
That is so true~ I'm so proud of my country (: *does a lil patriotic dance*
Anyway thanks Kate for your comments! Don't worry I'll have to try the chinese food there soon on later when I miss home too much. Hopefully it actually lets me think of home! Hahaha (:

Can someone help me check if Sunrise sells laksa leaves?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 AM

I'll check for you. The website just seems to have pictures, so I can't figure it out unless I go there & ask. Should the leaves be dried? Or fresh?

Old 08-22-2009, 06:46 AM

Default garagegames???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post
Hello I'm from Singapore (:
Anyway my school might be sending a few friends and I over to Eugene Oregon during the September period for a 3 months internship in garagegames.

So yeah, I'm wondering what's interesting there? I heard the scenery is pretty and the place is very laid back which is good and all...except I'm not a very laid back person. Haha. What are the places of interest? Haha I don't have much hopes for theme parks but knowing some interesting places will be nice.
And hows the food! (very impt question! hahah) And uh, do you guys happen to have squash courts or something?

Oh and I heard you guys end work early. Is that true?
Ms. HisMasterpiece:

Thankyou for the encouraging comment & yes I'll check into anything you'd like at Sunrise Market!

Is your internship involved with programming?

Kate

Old 08-22-2009, 07:26 AM

Miss H.

I just found a lovely post by Mr. Eugenified. You must take a moment to see it! He has a plethora of pretty photos you must see. One is of Sunrise Market. I was pleasantly surprised.

Click here & go to page 7: Eugene - Pictures and Thoughts

At one of my other posts for you, there's a link for the market, also. It's a very cute place to shop & Mr. E actually praises it in his post in the above link.

I have given kudos so many times to Mr. Eugenified that this website denied my last kudo. It gave me a message that I need to spread the praise around to others a little more!

Ciao! Kate

Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM

231 posts, read 733,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Miss H.
I have given kudos so many times to Mr. Eugenified that this website denied my last kudo. It gave me a message that I need to spread the praise around to others a little more!

Ciao! Kate
Thanks! I have had the same problem many times when I try to give kudos to haggardhouseelf.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,860,814 times
Just wanted to share... since the topic is "What's interesting in Eugene?" We went to the planetarium yesterday at the Science Factory in Eugene. The SF in itself is fun for kids, but having grown up in a much larger metropolitan area - and being spoiled rotten because of it when it comes to museums and whatnot - I was a little let-down. But - the planetarium was very cool! The lady that did our show - Sue - was so fun and very knowledgeable. There's a 1pm show which is the basic planets and constellations and solar system show, and then at 2pm right now they are doing a show which is all about the moon. We saw footage of the moon landing that they didn't show on TV, and that many people haven't seen. It was an awesome show.

Then, as we were walking back outside... my son points and says "Look mom!" and there's a Blue Heron sitting right there... such a beautiful - and big - bird. He was so close... we stopped and watched him for awhile, then he flew off down along the canoe canal. Amazing.

The canoe canal is fun, too. It's part of Alton Baker Park. During the summer you can rent canoes or kayaks and go out along the canoe canal... it goes right by the BMX track, the Science Factory, and the stadium... Alton Baker Park (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity &CommunityID=678&PageID=1567 - broken link) is a fun park... and huge. We've lived here since 2003 (minus our one year break) and we still haven't explored all of it.

Anyway... if you like planetarium shows... maybe check that out.

Science Factory Children's Museum and Planetarium

Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I have had the same problem many times when I try to give kudos to haggardhouseelf.
Awww!

Just for that I'm giving you guys kudos...

Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Then, as we were walking back outside... my son points and says "Look mom!" and there's a Blue Heron sitting right there... such a beautiful - and big - bird. He was so close... we stopped and watched him for awhile, then he flew off down along the canoe canal. Amazing.

... Alton Baker Park (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity &CommunityID=678&PageID=1567 - broken link) is a fun park... and huge. We've lived here since 2003 (minus our one year break) and we still haven't explored all of it.
Hey there's a dog park at Alton Baker also... besides the one at Amazon Park... Someone said there's even a "little dog" area at Alton but I haven't been able to check it out. Holden is kinda naughty so I worry about letting him loose...

I was just going to to give you some more "reputation" when the system said "no, spread it around more before you give her more!" This was a really awesome post. I'm always wondering what you have to say! You're a lot nicer in your approach than I feel inclined to be...

Thanks for the kudo. *I feel so honored*

The herons are ultra coolio. It's like seeing a pretty dinosaur. They look so anachronistic! I've seen them by Goodpasture & on the Amazon Creek. Haven't spotted any this year yet.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:48 PM

We take walks in that part of Alton Baker Park quite a bit, and we love stopping to watch the pups at the off-leash dog park! I haven't seen an area just for small dogs, either, but then again I haven't ever really looked. Hmmm...

I fear I'm going way OT (again!) but speaking of awesome avian experiences ... we were at the coast a few months ago. We hiked along this path through the dunes to this long stretch of flat sandy beach. We were all alone, just my husband and I and our kids. It was a hot day and the hike was a bit tough, so we were so happy to finally see the ocean. Just as we were about to sit down for a rest, we heard wings flapping. Giant wings.

This bald eagle flew right over our heads. It was so close! We stood there, just a few feet from him as he played around in the surf a bit, then after he got whatever he was after, he flew back, again right over our heads. It was too cool.

We went to where he had been playing in the sand to see what was there - we found two whole sand dollars. Some other broken ones as well.

I never was one to notice birds much before... but ever since this experience with the bald eagle... I see them everywhere. Not just bald eagles, but the great blue heron, osprey, golden eagles, owls, peregrine falcons... It's like he woke us up! I'm always looking now.

Maybe this is actually on-topic. Living in Eugene gives you easy access to amazing experiences like this. We have eagles and other birds of prey that nest here, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area