U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 32,193 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm from Singapore (:
Anyway my school might be sending a few friends and I over to Eugene Oregon during the September period for a 3 months internship in garagegames.

So yeah, I'm wondering what's interesting there? I heard the scenery is pretty and the place is very laid back which is good and all...except I'm not a very laid back person. Haha. What are the places of interest? Haha I don't have much hopes for theme parks but knowing some interesting places will be nice.
And hows the food! (very impt question! hahah) And uh, do you guys happen to have squash courts or something?

Oh and I heard you guys end work early. Is that true?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 AM

no replies at all? ):

Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,810,634 times
Hey there... sorry... people probably thought you were joking.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:17 PM

But why? Hahaha. It didnt even sound very funny.. ):

Old 07-18-2009, 11:49 AM

OK... I'll try to answer your questions.

My husband lived in Singapore for a little while - he LOVED it there! So I sorta of have an idea of where you're coming from. Eugene isn't really anything like Singapore at all, so be prepared for a bit of a culture shock.

Eugene is a small college town. In America, when someone says the place is a "college town", what they usually mean is that the main thing that brings people to the town is the college, and that life in the town is heavily influenced by the college kids...

So... there are a lot of bars, lots of local brew, lots of music, lots of art, lots of coffee shops, lots of bookstores, lots of places to shop, lots of health food stores and restaurants that serve the "college food du jour" (what the college kids are into eating at the moment....)... If you're into that kind of stuff, you'll find things you like and that will keep you busy here.

Also, if you're into the outdoors - hiking, boating, kayaking, bike riding, canoeing, skiing, mountaineering, beach combing, climbing trees, rock climbing, geocaching, rafting, wildlife watching, fishing, crabbing, clamming, photography, horseback riding, riding the dunes, road trips, exploring wilderness, lakes, and all that kind of stuff - you'll also have a blast here.

My husband tells me that Singapore is really clean. He has lived in lots of different countries, and of all of them he says that Singapore was the cleanest. Eugene as a city is kind of dirty. Even I notice it, and I'm from America. We have a huge homeless population and lots of careless college kids and I guess they tend to leave their trash and stuff around. I feel like I am constantly picking up trash where ever I go. I thought I'd just share that with you, too, so you won't be shocked by it when you get here. We're not all slobs here in America, but in Eugene there does seem to be a large number of them!

And the time you go to work and go home from work depends on what sort of job you have... my husband works quite a bit, sometimes 16-hour days, but others may work only 8-hour shifts or something... it just depends on your job.

And as far as I know there aren't any squash courts here? Hmmm...

I think the whole "laid-back" thing that you hear about has a lot to do with appearances and priorities here. People in Eugene don't care so much about how a person dresses, what sort of clothes they wear, how they style their hair, what shoes they have on, etc. They care more about what that person is about, what they know, what they can do, their talents... that sort of thing. So there is a "laid-back" vibe in that you can come as you are and be who you are without having to look a certain way.

My husband and I regularly go to the symphony to hear great music. The first time we went, we dressed up in really nice clothes. Being from other places, we thought that was what you had to do to be presentable enough to go to the symphony. Well... not in Eugene!! People were wearing all kinds of things... many were even in Birkenstock sandals and shorts and hoodie sweatshirts - at the symphony! We were shocked, but also relieved. In Eugene - it's about the substance and the enjoyment of life, not appearances and materialistic crap. Now we wear nice but casual clothes when we go, and we sit back and enjoy the music.

Eugene is not a pretentious place at all. (Though, there are a lot of people you'll see who come here from other places and who still put on appearances like it matters here... don't worry about them... they are just brainwashed and clueless...)

Good luck with your stay here, and if you want to be more specific about your interests maybe I can suggest some things you might want to check out while you're here.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Wa thanks!

Eugene really does sound different! I'll be really looking forward to going then. Haha. So there'll be alot of kids around my age (18yo) there right?
Love music, love art, love coffee shops n love bookstores. (: Haha. I think I'll have alot of fun there, cos theres never enough time to do those kinda stuff in Singapore!
And I'm definitely into the outdoors. There really is horseback riding? That is so cool! Is it expensive?
Haha I would love to try fishing/crabbing/clamming too. Never got a chance to since people usually do it at the crazy hours and I have a curfew here in Singapore >.<

Singapore is famous for its cleanliness. That's why chewing gums are not allowed here at all, haha. But yeah, I guess I'll survive the litter.
And I love the idea that there'll be no pressure to wake up early just to look good. Hahaha.

What time do most of the shops close at night? And whats the weather like in September? Is it really really cold? Will it snow?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:43 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,195,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hismasterpiece View Post
Wa thanks!

Eugene really does sound different! I'll be really looking forward to going then. Haha. So there'll be alot of kids around my age (18yo) there right?
Love music, love art, love coffee shops n love bookstores. (: Haha. I think I'll have alot of fun there, cos theres never enough time to do those kinda stuff in Singapore!
And I'm definitely into the outdoors. There really is horseback riding? That is so cool! Is it expensive?
Haha I would love to try fishing/crabbing/clamming too. Never got a chance to since people usually do it at the crazy hours and I have a curfew here in Singapore >.<

Singapore is famous for its cleanliness. That's why chewing gums are not allowed here at all, haha. But yeah, I guess I'll survive the litter.
And I love the idea that there'll be no pressure to wake up early just to look good. Hahaha.

What time do most of the shops close at night? And whats the weather like in September? Is it really really cold? Will it snow?
There are probably other places to go horseback riding, but here it is $20 for a half-hour group lesson. Definitely could be worth the experience.
RIDEABLE.ORG

I'm not sure when shops really close up... I would guess it would really vary from store to store, but somewhere between 5-9 PM.

It is still summer (technically) in September, but it starts to get cold at night. It almost never snows (ever) in Eugene, but it may rain a little bit during September (probably not too much) and might be a little chilly.

I hope you enjoy yourself. If you've never been to North America before then it'll definitely be a great experience for you. Oregon is (in my humble opinion) the best and most beautiful part of the country.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
So there'll be alot of kids around my age (18yo) there right?
Where will you be staying while you're here? There are certainly some areas - near the University, mostly - where there are lots of college-age people. And then there are other parts of town where there are generally more families with young kids or retired people. I'm pretty sure that if you stay near the college, you'll find lots of people your age who are into the same sort of lifestyle. I'm not sure what "garagegames" is, but I'm sure if it's something you're interested in you'll meet a bunch of cool people through your internship who can show you around as well.

Quote:
There really is horseback riding? That is so cool! Is it expensive?
Our favorite place to go horseback riding is actually out on the coast. From Eugene, if you take hwy 126 west towards the ocean, you'll hit a town called Florence. The coast area (beaches) around Florence are mostly sand dune areas. People ride their dune buggies and ATV's all over the dunes and have lots of fun doing that. All up and down the Oregon coast, though, there are different kinds of areas - some rocky areas where you can find tons of tidepools, some flat and sandy areas that are good for finding sand dollars and flying kites, some with cliffs and woodsy areas with hiking trails and some of the best views. The coast is a lot of fun to explore, and we like to find the horseback riding stables along the coast and ride horses along the woodsy trail areas. If you google horseback riding on the oregon coast you'll find stables that you can check out.

Quote:
Haha I would love to try fishing/crabbing/clamming too.
There are lots of opportunities here to learn how to do those things as well. Here are some links:

Crabbing on the Oregon Coast! - Travel Oregon

Oregon Fishing with Top Oregon Fishing Guides (http://www.tgfusa.com/start.asp - broken link)

If you google around you'll find lots of info. You can also go to crab shops along the coast and talk to the people there. There are places you can rent the gear you need and they'll tell you where to go to drop your line.

Quote:
What time do most of the shops close at night?
This depends... I'm from a large metropolitan area (DFW, TX) and I think places here close really early. I'm used to the big city where things stay open pretty much all the time. Eugene is a much smaller palce, so places tend to close earlier. But there are a few places that stay open late or even 24 hours. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Quote:
And whats the weather like in September? Is it really really cold? Will it snow?
September in Eugene is usually still pretty warm during the day, but starts getting cooler at night. The weather is really hard to predict here. Sometimes the rains don't start until November, but sometimes they come earlier. And the rain here isn't like what you've experienced in Singapore. The rain in Eugene doesn't pound or dump on you in sheets - at least not usually! - the rain here is more like a continual sort of moderately heavy mist. That's the only way I can figure out how to describe it. I like how it makes everything glisten.

We've lived in Eugene a total of about 4.5 years, and we've only seen it snow in Eugene maybe three times, and only one time did it stay around for more than a day! Usually if it does snow here, it's very little and melts quickly. This is usually in January or February, in our experience.

The very cool thing about Eugene, though, is our location. We are an hour away from the coast, and an hour away from skiing in the mountains. We are in a perfect location for having easy access to just about anything you'd like to do. Yet, in Eugene, we don't experience (usually) any of the severe and sometimes dangerous weather that both the coast and the mountains are sometimes known to have.

I thought I'd mention transportation, too. It's very easy to get around town on a bike. Eugene has tons of bike lanes and bike trails, even some that are along the river which are really nice... and sometimes we've found that it's actually easier and quicker to get where you're going on a bike, rather than having to drive in your car. There are places you can rent bikes, and then also places where you can buy used bikes, as well as Craigslist where there are always bikes for sale there. There's a place called the Center for Appropriate Transport, and also Paul's bicycle Way of Life and a few other palces that can help you get set up on a bike if you need one. These places also usually have bike maps, that will show you where the bike trails and best streets to take for biking are. You can also find the bike maps online - Eugene Bike Trail Map

Paul's Bicycle Way of Life

Center for Appropriate Transport

Revolution Cycles - Eugene Oregon Bicycle Shop offering Bike Repair Bike Rentals Bike Custom Eugene bicycle tune up Kings

Good luck to you!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 AM

Whats the currency there? Haha. I'll love go to horseback riding. All my friends will envy me!! Bwahahah!
So what the temperature like then? Does it ever go below 10C? In SG the normal temperature is like.. 25C. Haha.

I've never been to North America.. or America anyway, so yeah, it'll probably be a really great experience! Really really looking forward to it (:

The place I'm staying yet.. I'm still not sure. But google says the company is here! Hahaha.

It's possible to go skiing in the mountains? Wow.Is that dangerous? Hehe. Ski in the day and then go to the beach at night, how very interesting!
I really hope that the company lets us have days to explore. I'm super excited now!

Heh thanks you guys! You're all very helpful (:

Old 07-22-2009, 08:41 AM

By e way I found a place with squash clubs, downtown athletic club. It's at 999 Willamette Street Eugene Oregon 97401
How far is it from... let's say, the college since I might be staying pretty near there..
Another place I found was e ymca. Does anybody know anything any these places?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area