U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,281,180 times

Advertisements

That is so true about dentists. I have discovered this just recently. I have been going to the same dentist for about 20 years. When I was looking for one, there were not very many to be found. A friend of mine needed to find a new one several months ago when hers retired. She went through pages and pages in the phone book. She finally wound up going to one of those dental referral agency. They gave her a choice of hundreds. She finally wound up going to mine because there were so many to choose from.

Oh, I guess I should add that this was in Portland. Maybe it's different in Eugene.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 PM

21 posts, read 62,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In Oregon they are laying off teachers right and left. These laid off teachers get first chance at substituting. Your chances are very slim.

Due to the environment there, a lot of Dentists are looking to move there as you and your wife are. The market is over saturated.

Things like migrant students needing English are not in big demand, due to the population being over 80% white and about 6% Hispanic as the big minority. They have enough teachers already in special ed, etc., which get hit first, with many former employees looking to get back in.

Not a great potential for either of you, but you can try.
Well.....it's working out so far, I kind of think this forum brings out a lot of pessimism. I know jobs are tight, but my wife found a dental job and I'm doing the stay at home daddy thing for a while. We have a 5 month old and have enjoyed Eugene so far. I hope the economy gets better so more people can be as blessed as we have been so far.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:19 AM

9,751 posts, read 9,402,991 times
You and your wife were lucky. The biggest problem in the area is the lack of enough jobs. If you get past that problem, it is a nice place to live.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:26 PM

21 posts, read 62,240 times
I can't say that luck had anything to do with it. God provided on so many levels, I could get into it, but I don't want to be all preachy.....

I think THAT is the problem everywhere right now. It's not that jobs can't be found, but that most places want "skilled" workers and skilled usually means someone having at least 5 years of experience. That or there are jobs around that people won't take. The unemployment here is better than the area we moved from. SE Michigan where unemployment is sky high. I found a job there, but it wasn't fun....I hope that after this "great recession" finally works it's self out that we will see sustained growth for a good number of years. I mean, you've got a lot of population growth and a lot of people back in schools trying to improve their skills. At some point we have to see better times. Hopefully sooner than later eh!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:54 PM

13 posts, read 19,064 times
Thumbs down job outlook for teachers and dentists in Eugene Oregon.

hi, it's funny you should ask that. Eugene has just let go an enormous amount of teachers, because of lack of funds, and also close a lot of their schools, and cut back to school hours and days for the remaining schools. I also happen to know, quite a few doctors and dentists have moved away from here, because there is so little business, and if you dentists left, have had their business cut back greatly. I know this, because I had so many dentists move away from here, I have to keep changing dentists. Sorry.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,869,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
If you're from a flouridated background, the toothlessness here is rather frightening. It seems to be "casual" to go out without one's teeth in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
Dental care...

It's partly... a cultural thing??? .......

It is really scary to wait on a scraggly guy who is missing teeth, in his 30's or 40's & he has this wild eyed scraggly girlfriend staring me down like I'm going to steal this guy & then she'll kill me, just because I'm trying to give him friendly customer service. I didn't know whether to laugh or run. She looked like she was going to reach right over that camera & give me a Hawaiian Punch. I guess that was my most dramatic encounter... until the pocket fiasco.

Sigh. Sorry for all that. I just never saw so many toothless people nor imagined it was possible on the WEST coast til I moved to this area. It's the biggest culture shock I've ever, ever had.
What do you have when you see 5 Eugene women together at a bar?

Ans - A full set of teeth!

Sarah, you're such an innocent ...... the reason there are so many relatively young people with few teeth has nothing to do with fluoridation (and at any rate Eugene probably has some natural fluoride in addition to its natural lithium).

It's because of widespread methamphetamine use. People's teeth fall out if they use the stuff over a long period period of time, in addition to the nasty skin lesions.

From Meth Mouth – Pictures, Symptoms, Facts and Treatment

This brings up the possibility of the OP's wife specializing in treating meth mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area