U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 62,396 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering settling in Eugene once she finishes here Dentistry program. I teach Middle School and High School Social Studies, ESL, and I will have a Masters in Educational Media and Technology finished by the time we relocate.

I've been following the threads about teaching jobs being competitive. What about Dentistry? Are there dentists on every corner, or do you think my wife will be able to join or set up a practice in town?

I'm willing to substitute teach for a long time if that's what it takes to establish myself in the school system. It isn't completely hopeless is it? I mean there are some teaching jobs right? I love working in struggling schools with at risk kids as well as migrant students learning English. Any thoughts or suggestions about schools that I should look into for employment would be appreciated.

I should add that this move would not take place until the summer of 2011. We are currently in Michigan so we're familiar with poor employment figures. I'm teaching at a charter school in Detroit and will have 6 years of experience before relocating in 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,818,877 times
I'm sorry that no one has responded yet... I'm not a teacher nor a dentist so I might not be the ideal person to respond... but I do that Eugene right now is a very difficult time to be a teacher as many districts are having to let go of teaching staff to make up for budget woes. One school even tried to get rid of two entire grades!! Parents protested of course, and the school quickly changed their mind... but times are tough here right now for our schools. As far as dentistry... there seems to be a lot of dentists here, a great number of them for a town this size, but I see a lot of people with mouths that look like they could use a good dentist, too! We do not have any fluoride in or water, and it seems to show... I'm from a place where we did have fluoride in our water, and so I have seen first-hand the difference it makes.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,083,400 times
If I were you, I'd just call the dentist offices & ask the office managers about hiring potential... I heard from an oncology nurse that dentists earn more than oncology doctors. So if you can get a job, the potential is wonderful!

As for teaching, if you have a niche that you can focus on & market, that could be a way around the lack of hiring at the bigger institutions ... Maybe some kind of tutoring for students aspiring for college admission?

Here's a link for the U of O http://hr.uoregon.edu/jobs/classified.php
and for Lane C. C. http://www.lanecc.edu/ .

Old 08-20-2009, 05:36 AM

If you're from a flouridated background, the toothlessness here is rather frightening. It seems to be "casual" to go out without one's teeth in...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM

21,697 posts, read 25,332,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
If you're from a flouridated background, the toothlessness here is rather frightening. It seems to be "casual" to go out without one's teeth in...
I wonder if people are forgoing dental care because they can't afford it. With the high unemployment rate all over the state, those without jobs have neither health insurance nor the cash to be able to visit a dentist.

From what I have read, substitute teaching jobs are very difficult to find and if one is lucky enough to find one it is for very small intervals.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:15 PM

Default forgoing dental care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I wonder if people are forgoing dental care because they can't afford it. With the high unemployment rate all over the state, those without jobs have neither health insurance nor the cash to be able to visit a dentist.

From what I have read, substitute teaching jobs are very difficult to find and if one is lucky enough to find one it is for very small intervals.
Dental care...

It's partly... a cultural thing??? The part I mentioned about seeing people going around town without dentures is just something I noticed in some of my dealings with people on a social as well as professional level. Most days I'd see a well groomed person with teeth, then one day he shows up without teeth & in casual attire & uncombed hair... Out of about a hundred encounters, this only occurred about twice on my watch.

How about this:

A guy stops to talk to us on the street cuz he knows my bf who works in a mill. He had just introduced himself to me... HE has his dentures in HIS shirt POCKET & he takes them out to SHOW me! *omg*

Same guy then picks "chew" out of the dentures, with flagrant gestures, which I guess he only wears to chew TOBACCO??? x2

The guy was driving a new pickup... I couldn't get the picture out of my head for days. I had no idea where this was going when he stopped at the curb. After all that, he put the teeth back in his pocket. Help me. I can't fathom this

We were so happy when he drove off. He seemed tipsy, so I don't think he'll remember giving us his number if he ever sees us again. We'll just pretend the encounter... never ever happened.

I seriously never met this person in my life.

My boyfriend has all his teeth. I do too. And my family & everyone I associate with does. Well, as far as I can tell, since they don't keep their dentures in their POCKETS! *.*covers Smiley's eyes*

I grew up in South East LA in the '70s & I never saw anyone I can remember without teeth. Maybe they just don't OPEN their mouth in CA if they don't have teeth.

It's partly money, too?. Just guessing... And it seems like a METH thing. All the locals will nod to that.

My career has been in retail customer service. I pride myself on treating people the way I want to be treated because it just feels right & it was the way I was raised to behave...

It is really scary to wait on a scraggly guy who is missing teeth, in his 30's or 40's & he has this wild eyed scraggly girlfriend staring me down like I'm going to steal this guy & then she'll kill me, just because I'm trying to give him friendly customer service. I didn't know whether to laugh or run. She looked like she was going to reach right over that camera & give me a Hawaiian Punch. I guess that was my most dramatic encounter... until the pocket fiasco.

Sigh. Sorry for all that. I just never saw so many toothless people nor imagined it was possible on the WEST coast til I moved to this area. It's the biggest culture shock I've ever, ever had.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,483,151 times
I have a friend that lives and grew up in Manzanita.
She jokes that you can always tell a local by their teeth.
The reason being that before the touristy business and vacation home business the Oregon coastal areas were rather poor.
To find a good dentist one had to travel south to Tillamook or north to Seaside/Astoria.
And then, those towns didn't have quality dentists.
It was easier to get a tooth pulled and deal with it than travel back and forth several times and spend thousands of dollars on cosmetic dentistry.

Recent transplants to Oregon reeally don't realize how much Oregon has changed in the last thirty years.
They see all the vacation homes and expensive resorts and shiny touristy things on the coast and think it's always been that way.

So it's not necessarily a "fashion statement" or bad hygeine to have missing teeth.
Especially if you were a kid growing up on the Oregon coast in the '70's.
The dental health profession just wasn't there.

And even now dental insurance is so crappy most people only go to the dentist when they absolutely have to.
It's pretty easy to burn up a $1500 yearly dental benefit.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,332,962 times
It isn't the lack of dentists that people neglect their teeth. It's lack of jobs to pay for the services.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,818,877 times
^^ and the lack of flouride in the water as well.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM

9,770 posts, read 9,456,355 times
In Oregon they are laying off teachers right and left. These laid off teachers get first chance at substituting. Your chances are very slim.

Due to the environment there, a lot of Dentists are looking to move there as you and your wife are. The market is over saturated.

Things like migrant students needing English are not in big demand, due to the population being over 80% white and about 6% Hispanic as the big minority. They have enough teachers already in special ed, etc., which get hit first, with many former employees looking to get back in.

Not a great potential for either of you, but you can try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area