U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 06:44 AM

4 posts, read 9,914 times

Advertisements

In one week I will be moving to Eugene from Boston, MA. I have never been to OR let alone the west coast. I have a rough sketch of what is in store but I would love to hear more about the area. I am going to be in West Eugene (Green hill rd area). I am 22 y.o. hoping to make some new connections and hoping find an art related job. I know Portland is about 2 hrs north, is there an affordable public transport route that runs daily? Thanks in advanced.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM

231 posts, read 731,922 times
Hi Sandyear (I wonder is that "sandy ear" or "sand year"? Just curious.):

Re your future location: Greenhill road area is really out there on the edges of the city. I hope you will be on the east side of Greenhill (along Barger) verses the west side (farmland...zzzzz). That said, the Barger area is not the greatest for crime...errr...maybe it is actually pretty good for crime...uhhh...in other words, there is some crime in that area. So be careful.

Public Transportation: You can check the link below for public trasportation options in that area. I took a quick look and it does appear that buses run on Barger although maybe not all the way out to Greenhill.

Lane Transit District

From rereading your post, maybe you are asking if there is public transportation that runs from Eugene to Portland on a daily basis? If so, I would say the answer is yes (but it leaves from Eugene's downtown area, far from Greenhill area), and you would be crazy to make such a life-altering commute. This is Oregon. We complain here about any commute more that 15 minutes one way. 2 hours?! Forgetaboutit!

Re Jobs: Jobs are hard to find in Eugene unless you are highly qualified in an in-demand industry (if so, then your chances of finding a good job in Eugene are very good!). Sadly, the art industry is not one of those in-demand industries. So you can expect to have a very difficult time finding any such work in Eugene. Plan on entry level jobs in the fast food or similar industry. Even then, I have heard those jobs are mainly all filled.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 16,565 times
Default Moving to eugene

I have lived in Eugene for 20 years and it's a great place to live! However, the Greenhill area is definitely NOT the cool arera to be in. It's way west and out of the way. If you are apartment shopping, consider Crescent Village...it's Eugene's newest urban village and it's super cool. Check out the website....Crescent Village. There's wine bar, sushi, pizza, cafe, spa all on ground level with apartments above. It's handy to the best parts of Eugene. (There are also gorgeous townhouses to buy but they are very spendy.)
The weather is mild here...spring, summer and fall are fabulous...very beautiful. Winters are rainy but super green! Very little snow...and a couple inches will shut down schools.
We are an hour from the gorgeous Oregon coast, and hour & half to snowy mountains and 2 hours from Portland (a fabulous city.) We have access to great local artistans and musicians, fresh fruit & veggies at local farms, fun festivals (Eugene's Saturday Market is a trip!), the mighty Oregon Ducks provide great track/football/basketball, and best of all...the amazing bike path that funs for miles along the Willamette River!
We will be moving to Maryland in January with work, but have loved our life in Eugene. Best of luck. I hope you'll love Eugene as much as we have!

Old 08-10-2009, 08:04 AM

Great thanks for your reply.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Hi Sandyear (I wonder is that "sandy ear" or "sand year"? Just curious.):

Re your future location: Greenhill road area is really out there on the edges of the city. I hope you will be on the east side of Greenhill (along Barger) verses the west side (farmland...zzzzz). That said, the Barger area is not the greatest for crime...errr...maybe it is actually pretty good for crime...uhhh...in other words, there is some crime in that area. So be careful.

Public Transportation: You can check the link below for public trasportation options in that area. I took a quick look and it does appear that buses run on Barger although maybe not all the way out to Greenhill.

Lane Transit District

From rereading your post, maybe you are asking if there is public transportation that runs from Eugene to Portland on a daily basis? If so, I would say the answer is yes (but it leaves from Eugene's downtown area, far from Greenhill area), and you would be crazy to make such a life-altering commute. This is Oregon. We complain here about any commute more that 15 minutes one way. 2 hours?! Forgetaboutit!

Re Jobs: Jobs are hard to find in Eugene unless you are highly qualified in an in-demand industry (if so, then your chances of finding a good job in Eugene are very good!). Sadly, the art industry is not one of those in-demand industries. So you can expect to have a very difficult time finding any such work in Eugene. Plan on entry level jobs in the fast food or similar industry. Even then, I have heard those jobs are mainly all filled.
Mr. Eugeneified,

Commute: I will be driving over 3,000 miles- 2 hrs to Portland will be a cake walk! Us Bostonians take to the road hard and fast. Its just a matter of gas $ and abusing the old wagon.

Re:Crime: Yes, I have lived in Boston for the past 4 years and unfortunately I am accustomed to a high crime area, maybe you've heard about the Henry Gates case bpd are so used to break-ins they will arrest an innocent man trying to get into his own home. But the GreenH rd area seems quite desloate, it surprises me that crime is high.
On the topic of nature: How about outdoor recreation? Any good lakes/ hiking trails around?

Re:Jobs: I appreciate your response, I am nervous about the fast food job reply (Food service is less desirable after receiving a Bachelors Degree) I heard there is a gallery district and museums dotted around downtown...

Thanks again !

Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 AM

231 posts, read 731,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyear View Post
Mr. Eugeneified,

Commute: I will be driving over 3,000 miles- 2 hrs to Portland will be a cake walk! Us Bostonians take to the road hard and fast. Its just a matter of gas $ and abusing the old wagon.

Re:Crime: Yes, I have lived in Boston for the past 4 years and unfortunately I am accustomed to a high crime area, maybe you've heard about the Henry Gates case bpd are so used to break-ins they will arrest an innocent man trying to get into his own home. But the GreenH rd area seems quite desloate, it surprises me that crime is high.
On the topic of nature: How about outdoor recreation? Any good lakes/ hiking trails around?

Re:Jobs: I appreciate your response, I am nervous about the fast food job reply (Food service is less desirable after receiving a Bachelors Degree) I heard there is a gallery district and museums dotted around downtown...

Thanks again !
Crime: Sorry, I did not really think about your current location when forming my answer. To clarify, crime in that western edge of Eugene is NOTHING compared to Boston. Compared to other parts of Eugene, it is higher than average.

"Desolate": It is desolate on the west side of Greenhill, but the east side around Barger road is pretty much built up.

Commute: Ouch! Hopefully you can avoid such craziness once you move here.

Hiking & outdoors: There are so many things to do in this area in terms of outdoors activities, I could never finish writing the list. Think of the best outdoor activity you could possibly do in Boston, and then multiply that times 1000. That's Oregon.

Job: Yes, there are quite a few small galleries downtown. There is an organized "gallery crawl" once per month. My wife and I joined it a few times. You start at one gallery, and move to another one every 10 minutes, covering 5-6 galleries in an hour or so. At each gallery there is some little special event, showing, or entertainment. It's kinda cool. But I doubt they have much business or are in need of much, if any, staff. My general feeling is that Eugene is a nice place for artists to live, meet each other, and to do their work, but in terms of sales, Eugene's art market is underperforming. Just my gut feeling though.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,076,684 times
There are MILLS here. Mills can have a nasty smell: I would the avoid Barger/Royal area.

Well kept secret: on Hilyard St. & Amazon (google-map Eugene & you'll see where these two street V off of each other: there are great low priced apartments. Great area with GREAT bus lines that can take you to the U of O in TEN minutes even if it's snowing...

The snow here is a drag because we're just not used to it ( some crazy fast drivers). No salt on the roads. Just sand, if you're lucky. I hate it when it snows here.

Here on the Hilyard St neighborhood area & all the way down Willamette (plus adjacent streets like Oak & High Street) (big tip for YOU: we say Will - AM - ette) there are many diverse opportunities for nice dining & socializing. Nice church choices, too, if you're into that scene. There's an interesting mix of liberals/conservatives here, with liberal definitely on the larger side of the scale. Alot of people who are friendly & make eye contact.

Getting a job: google U of O jobs & maybe you can snag one of the many opportunities that pop up weekly. Good luck. I haven't worked for a year but I don't have a degree, so maybe that'll be your cool ace!!!! Wages tend to be low & qualifying can be discouraging.

Keep us posted on how it goes for you! You can easily find online sources for apartment availability... The campus crowd keeps them in business.

There's also Lane Community College (near where I live, of course) which isn't so bad & has job listings also.

It's going to be sooo different from Boston for you!!!

Bye for now, Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-20-2009 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: added streets to description

Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 AM

2,179 posts, read 5,076,684 times
Oh yeah. For cheaper rent, don't move to Springfield. The bus line is... a real psychedelic trip that you don't want to experience. A lot of people with "issues" live in Springfield. I lived in a neighborhood there called "Thurston" for 2 years, against the advice of all of my friends online who lived in Eugene... They were right about what it's like there. My house & street were very nice but I would do it differently if I could do it over.

There's a great river just east of Springfield, that you can visit & play in (on the odd day that it's warm enough, like only in the late spring & in summer... The McKenzie. Clean water & clean fish, for the most part. Just wear swimming shoes...

Rent is way cheaper in Springfield but it's not where you'd want to live. You want to be close to downtown where there's the college crowd... You don't want a 40 minute ride on the wild Springfield bus to go to Eugene.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 PM

33 posts, read 72,494 times
Snow or no snow, people here in Eugene are terrible drivers. Be prepared for the real speed limit of 20, parking any direction you want, and looking right before left - if looking left at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area