U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 29,809 times

Advertisements

I am currently in school at Florida International University in Miami but want to eventually move to Eugene once I have finished my Masters in Counseling Psychology (about 3 years). What is the job outlook? Can anyone explain to me the credentialing requirements? I have heard that my license would not be as a "Licensed Mental Health Counselor- LMHC" but something else. Is there something I can do to prepare myself for a career there? Should I complete my license hours here or move there and then begin? Will I have a career there?

My fiance is completing his degree in Music Business with a focus on engineering. How is the job market for this field? (same general questions for him as well)

We would need to make sure that we can work in our respective career choices before making such a HUGE decision to move to the other side of the "world" without a friend or family to pave the way.

Last edited by fiupsychrox; 09-29-2009 at 01:49 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:49 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,805,275 times
I'm sorry I can't really help to answer your questions... but just thought I'd make a suggestion: You might consider looking up your chosen fields in Oregon and contacting those already here. They would be able to point you in the right direction. For example, this might be a good place for you to start, maybe? Oregon DHS : Mental health and for your husband... if he wants to work for a recording studio he might have better luck in Portland. In Eugene, he might have an easier time opening up his own studio or perhaps finding a job at the U of O music dept or something along the lines of providing musical education.

It's good you are thinking ahead. Eugene is not the place you want to move to without a job lined up first, or a substantial savings saved up. You have lots of time now to network and make the necessary contacts that will help you when you're ready to make your move.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,078,884 times
Job links, etc here:
Sticky: Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting

Old 10-13-2009, 12:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,805,275 times
But back on-topic... you're so right that things are hard everywhere. And lining up a job in advance is very difficult these days. Which is why it's better not to go anywhere if you can help it - stay where you are and bloom where you're planted. In the case of Eugene, though, we have even fewer large companies that are hiring... so it's a very risky place to relocate to and expect to find a job in. One would have better luck trying to relocate to a larger city like Portland or Seattle where you might have better luck finding a job. I've known three families who've all moved out of Eugene just this past summer because of lay-off's and jobs just simply not being here - they all relocated to large cities in California where they all found jobs prior to moving. They were so sad to leave this place, but you have to earn a living to support your family.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 10-13-2009 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: orphaned material removed

Old 01-05-2010, 08:01 PM

11 posts, read 29,809 times
Thanks for the advice. It's definitely something we will keep an eye on in the next few years as we finish school. I know i DO NOT want to stay in Miami because there is no where to bloom here. I'm a total tree hugger and there are too many people jam packed together, progressively getting worse as more nature is torn down to build more houses, and 98% of the those people are rude and inconsiderate to the point of barely acknowledging others' existence. I saw Eugene in pictures and have read on it and it seems completely unlike Miami with all the trees and multiple nature related activities within hours. It seems sooo beautiful! The exact type of place we would like to start and raise a family. The cold temperatures are a little scary considering what we are used to but then there are days like today where it's actually colder here than there. Besides, the heat we get here is just unbearable and so sticky. It rains here as well but the storms come and go without warning with heavy downpour, thunder and lightening lasting hours. Within one week it could be in the upper 90s one day, the next constant downpour and suddenly there's a wet cold front for three days!

Main reasons for leaving Miami: rude people, poor scenery, few activities outside of the party life, general lifestyle, family living, poor accessibility of safe play environments for our future children and dysfunctional weather

Old 01-05-2010, 10:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,007,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiupsychrox View Post
Thanks for the advice. It's definitely something we will keep an eye on in the next few years as we finish school. I know i DO NOT want to stay in Miami because there is no where to bloom here. I'm a total tree hugger and there are too many people jam packed together, progressively getting worse as more nature is torn down to build more houses, and 98% of the those people are rude and inconsiderate to the point of barely acknowledging others' existence. I saw Eugene in pictures and have read on it and it seems completely unlike Miami with all the trees and multiple nature related activities within hours. It seems sooo beautiful! The exact type of place we would like to start and raise a family. The cold temperatures are a little scary considering what we are used to but then there are days like today where it's actually colder here than there. Besides, the heat we get here is just unbearable and so sticky. It rains here as well but the storms come and go without warning with heavy downpour, thunder and lightening lasting hours. Within one week it could be in the upper 90s one day, the next constant downpour and suddenly there's a wet cold front for three days!

Main reasons for leaving Miami: rude people, poor scenery, few activities outside of the party life, general lifestyle, family living, poor accessibility of safe play environments for our future children and dysfunctional weather
Are you getting your LGPC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area