U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 AM
 
857 posts, read 1,519,711 times
Reputation: 186

Advertisements

Based on data from previous City-Data threads on Eugene, I have the following specific questions about Eugene.

Two requests, please:

1. If you are a member of the Chamber of Commerce, City, County, Visitors Bureau, or other governmental body, please DO NOT respond, or, clearly state your affiliation and post with your own name.

2. If you respond with broad generalizations without stating statistics, please DO NOT respond.

I am looking for specific, verifiable information that I can independently confirm through other references.

1. What is the current unemployment, and why does it continue to increase at a rapid rate?

2. Why does the meth (Methamphetamine) problem continue in Lane County, Oregon (encompassing Eugene) with no end in sight?

3. Is it safe to park a car downtown w/o fear that it will be stolen or its contents removed?

4. Is there a Gang problem in Eugene?

5. If someone visits Eugene and hates it (i.e. for many of the negative reasons posted elsewhere on this board), where else should they move to in the Northwest? Corvallis? Bend? Portland? Seattle?

6. Is there a shortage of specialty medical care in Eugene (i.e. Neurology, Psychiatry, Orthopaedics, Pain Medicine, etc.).

7. Do the majority of physicians take Medicare? Do the majority of physicians take OUT OF STATE MEDICAL PLANS?

8. Do physicians read, request, and respect chart notes from OUT OF STATE DOCTORS?

Thanks ...
Rate this post positively

 
Old 10-12-2009, 05:02 PM
 
57 posts, read 156,030 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
1. What is the current unemployment, and why does it continue to increase at a rapid rate?
The unemployment rate that is usually given for Eugene is the rate for the Eugene-Springfield MSA, which encompasses all of Lane County. There are significant variations within the County, but they usually don't get picked up in the federal and state statistics.

Here are the monthly seasonally adjusted unemployment rates for 2009 through August (source: Oregon Employment Department, OLMIS - Local Area Employment Statistics ):

Jan-09 Feb-09 Mar-09 Apr-09 May-09 Jun-09 Jul-09 Aug-09
10.7% 11.2% 12.9% 13.4% 14.0% 12.9% 12.2% 12.7%

While the rapid increases that took place in late 2008 - early 2009 have moderated somewhat, the unemployment rate here remains significantly higher than the national average. The following factors are usually given as the primarily reasons:

- Heavy reliance of manufacturing, such as RV's and wood products that were hit hard by the recession and the decline in residential construction;
- Many of the new jobs that were created in the previous economic expansion cycle were in construction, and those jobs were the first to go as the real estate market stalled;
- Outside of health care and education, there are no growth industries here, and the latter is obviously affected by the state and local government fiscal problems.

To a large extent, these factors can be attributed to Oregon in general, and indeed the local unemployment level in Eugene is pretty much in line with the statewide average.

Another potential reason (I am speculating here) is that Oregon has fairly generous unemployment benefits (up to almost $2,000/month) that are paid for up to 79 weeks (yes, 1.5 years). As a result, somebody who loses a job here does not have a strong financial incentive to relocate elsewhere to get a new job right away, especially if they also have other income sources, e.g. a working spouse.

Areas where the unemployment is lower (e.g., Midwest) do not compare favorably to Oregon in terms of the quality of life, so many folks probably decide to wait until things get better here. Of course, being under water on your mortgage and unable to sell the house makes that decision that much easier.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
 
57 posts, read 156,030 times
Reputation: 46
OK, on to the other questions (just the ones I know the answer to):

Quote:
3. Is it safe to park a car downtown w/o fear that it will be stolen or its contents removed?
I live in downtown Eugene and I never had any problems with theft. However, common sense still applies, e.g. I would not leave valuables clearly visible in my car. I did see some broken window glass in the Spencer Butte Park parking lot in South Eugene a few months ago, which suggests that some areas of the city may be less safe than others.

Quote:
4. Is there a Gang problem in Eugene?
No, but I have heard of limited gang activity in neighboring Springfield. I am sure there is some spillover effect in Eugene, since this is basically one metro area.

Quote:
5. If someone visits Eugene and hates it (i.e. for many of the negative reasons posted elsewhere on this board), where else should they move to in the Northwest? Corvallis? Bend? Portland? Seattle?
It depends on why that person hates Eugene (duh). If the same factor is present in another PNW community, then considering a different part of the US or another country altogether may be advisable.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 7,214,970 times
Reputation: 1727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lane View Post
Based on data from previous City-Data threads on Eugene, I have the following specific questions about Eugene.

Two requests, please:

1. If you are a member of the Chamber of Commerce, City, County, Visitors Bureau, or other governmental body, please DO NOT respond, or, clearly state your affiliation and post with your own name.

2. If you respond with broad generalizations without stating statistics, please DO NOT respond.

I am looking for specific, verifiable information that I can independently confirm through other references.

1. What is the current unemployment, and why does it continue to increase at a rapid rate?

2. Why does the meth (Methamphetamine) problem continue in Lane County, Oregon (encompassing Eugene) with no end in sight?

3. Is it safe to park a car downtown w/o fear that it will be stolen or its contents removed?

4. Is there a Gang problem in Eugene?

5. If someone visits Eugene and hates it (i.e. for many of the negative reasons posted elsewhere on this board), where else should they move to in the Northwest? Corvallis? Bend? Portland? Seattle?
Thanks ...
Rate this post positively
 
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM
 
4,284 posts, read 14,902,552 times
Reputation: 3963
Moderator's Note:

City Data welcomes and encourages sincere queries about locations and their associated living conditions.

In this case, however, the parameters of this thread were the cause of the closure of another thread; continuation of the argument in a new posting is not acceptable.

Many thanks to those members who made sincerely helpful responses.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top