U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,114 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are ready to move out of Texas and want to make sure that this move will be our last. We are both artists and would like to one day open up a pottery and glass fusion studio and school. My husband is a middle school art teacher and I’m a respiratory therapist so needless to say we are not wealthy. We have visited the area several times and LOVE it but that is from a visitors perspective. I’m hoping someone out there can help me with a few questions.
1-How many hospitals are there in the area and how big are they?
2-Do the schools value and fund art programs? I ask this because many schools in Texas have eliminated all art programs and there are very few jobs for teachers with art degrees. [
3-Can you buy a nice 3 bedroom home in a safe and clean neighborhood for $250,000 or less?
4-What is the worst thing about living in Eugene and what is the best?
5-Is Eugene a good place to retire? (Good health care, cost of living, city services etc.) [/SIZE][/FONT]
If anyone is a teacher, artist or in the medical field I would especially love to hear your advice and recommendations on moving.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:19 AM

231 posts, read 732,564 times
I'll answer a few of these:

#3: Can you buy a nice 3 bedroom in a safe and clean neighborhood for $250K or less?
-Yes. It will be a little tight, but you can find something in this range. If you want to be on the south side of Eugene (you two sound perfect for the south side), it will be even more difficult, but workable if you are willing to accept something a little smaller or older (that needs some work).
-I previously rented a house in SW Eugene, and I know the rough market price is around $250K. It was a 3 bedroom/2 bath house with about 1800 square feet. It was built in 1980; that's relatively new in this area. The bad news was it was located on a shared driveway with 3 other houses, so it lacked some feeling of privacy. That's why the price was lower than expected. My neighbor at that time had an even nicer house on the same driveway. He is currently trying to sell his for $289K and not having much luck, so his real price should probably be around $260K.
-Nicer houses in the same area sell for $350K or more. So you have to search around for opportunities to get into your price range.
-Suggest you go on one of the big real estate sites (trulia or zillow) and do a search by map with your price range.

#4: Worst and best thing about living in Eugene?
-Best: I would say that the beautiful scenery is the best thing about Eugene. Trees everywhere! The weather is really nice most of the time also. Traffic is really light and it takes no more than 15 minutes to drive from one side of town to the other. Oops...that's three things!
-Worst: Nothing really bad here in my view. I guess the homeless people hanging around certain areas bother me sometimes (not literally bother me). I wish there was a more clear and balanced policy to address their problems (and the problems that their problems cause me). Not a big deal though. Not nearly as bad as places like Berkeley and Santa Cruz.
-If you were looking for work in Eugene, I am quite sure that you would say the jobs situation is the worst thing about Eugene.

#5: Retire in Eugene?
-For me, it's the perfect place to retire. Great scenery, liberal friendly people (not counting the guys driving big pickup trucks on their way to their desk jobs), plenty of restaurants, cool community activities (Saturday market, Eugene Celebration, Blues & Brew Festical, Art Walk, etc.), good retail choices (funky little places, two malls, Borders and Barnes & Noble, plus the evil Walmart/Target/Best Buy for those price sensitive purchases), etc.

Last edited by Mr Eugenified; 10-14-2009 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: speelingg correckshun

Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,085,029 times
Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting Here are some links you may find helpful.

Also, there are an abundance of posts already here on CD which address your questions.

The job situation is crazy here: there are always openings in the medical field but the question in my mind is why? Why are the CNAs, billers, nurses, etc, always going somewhere else? Maybe because the Riverbend facility opened & took alot of people with them...But still it seems there are never enough medical staffers to go around.

There are more people than there are jobs in this state: a fact I didn't realize when I moved here for the cost of living.

As for retirement: Mr. Eugenified is completely correct: everything anyone could need or want is here except for the fact that the UV is sparing. However, that's a tiny deficit.

To see the best & worst for yourself... go to Main Street in Springfield at the corner where Alberstons is across the street from the freeway on/off ramps. Get on the bus. Take that bus into downtown Eugene. It's a psychedelic trip that explains the incongruencies of living in this area. It's an experience for the mind & heart.

When you get off the bus, you may want to go into any one of the nice establishments in downtown for a refreshment that suits your relaxation needs *L* We have alot of very nice microbrewery places & coffee places.

Then you get into downtown Eugene & you see the best. Nice establishments of every variety. Women are more low key than let's say... So. Cal: not much for froo-froo. Men are relaxed & easy going. Kids are more relaxed. Not much for the surfer/skater/department store look here, unless it's a university student. In September the univers. students are everywhere from downtown to Walmart on west 11th, like a siege.

All throughout this area you'll see people who smile & are rather casually friendly: I love that here. You'll see children, in Spring, going to fish the river, poles over their shoulders. Sometimes it's almost like Mayberry...It's still very '70's here, even the blue skies testify to it!

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-15-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 04:57 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,602,657 times
kids are more relaxed than where?
i did see 'skater' looks in eugene,too,
It is not a big city,it's 100k,so obv. comparing to so. cal is a bit silly. kids in Portland would be more polished city kid looking,too. comparing to so cal for everything on these forums gets old! geesh. why not compare to portland? or texas,where OP is interested in moving from?

Old 02-08-2010, 08:47 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,133,184 times
You might also consider Portland. It's a completely different vibe, but lots of people in the arts there. The job market in Eugene is pretty dismal. I've heard people say that you really have to know someone to get the best jobs there.

I do think Eugene is a good place to live. I was there about 2 years. Be prepared for very different weather in the winter. It can be a shock if you are not used to gray skies for a few days or weeks at a time, and lots of rain.

As far as housing, I bought a 5 bedroom house in 2006 for $330,000 in the south hills (28th & Chambers). The house was built in 1967 but had high ceilings and a nice view of downtown Eugene. So I think $250,000 for a 3 bedroom isn't unreasonable. I could bike from there to downtown or the University of Oregon pretty easily.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,824,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.mason View Post
My husband and I are ready to move out of Texas and want to make sure that this move will be our last. We are both artists and would like to one day open up a pottery and glass fusion studio and school. My husband is a middle school art teacher and I’m a respiratory therapist so needless to say we are not wealthy. We have visited the area several times and LOVE it but that is from a visitors perspective. I’m hoping someone out there can help me with a few questions.
1-How many hospitals are there in the area and how big are they?
2-Do the schools value and fund art programs? I ask this because many schools in Texas have eliminated all art programs and there are very few jobs for teachers with art degrees. [
3-Can you buy a nice 3 bedroom home in a safe and clean neighborhood for $250,000 or less?
4-What is the worst thing about living in Eugene and what is the best?
5-Is Eugene a good place to retire? (Good health care, cost of living, city services etc.) [/SIZE][/font]
If anyone is a teacher, artist or in the medical field I would especially love to hear your advice and recommendations on moving.
Hey there... I'm a native Texan, so maybe I have a good idea about where you're coming from. A lot of your questions can be answered by reading around the Eugene threads... I have a tendency towards long replies... so here I will try to keep my answers short, since most of them have already been answered elsewhere anyway.

1 - I think there are three? The new one is HUGE and feels more like a resort than a hospital.

2 - Schools all over are having to make cuts and Oregon is no exception. Being that Eugene is full of artists, though, we are lucky in that we often have local artists volunteering their time to come teach kids art. It's pretty awesome. Not sure on jobs... I'd definitely NOT move here without one lined up first.

3 - Yes, but it will be nothing like what you can get in Texas for the same price. Much smaller sq. ft. and probably older/more outdated and on a much smaller lot. I'm still getting used to how close the homes are to each other here... it's nothing like Texas.

4 - IMO: Worst - long wet/chilly/muddy/overcast season (though we are very close to snow when we just have to have it! ); Best - too many things to list just one thing! Summers, easy access to amazing coastline, good food, friendly people, lots of opportunities to learn new things, lots of music and art and outdoorsy adventures... you eventually get used to the weather and realize that the wet, cold, and mud and moss is what is needed to keep things going here like the trees and the salmon and the wildlife and all the things we love. So you learn to appreciate even the things you don't like because over time you realize that they are necessary for the survival of the things that we do.

5 - I would think so, just because it seems more than half the town is made up of retired people... at least it seems that way to me. The Eugene Recreation Guide is chock-full of fun programs for retired people. My husband and I can't wait to be old enough to sign up for some of those!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM

230 posts, read 566,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
kids are more relaxed than where?
i did see 'skater' looks in eugene,too,
It is not a big city,it's 100k,so obv. comparing to so. cal is a bit silly. kids in Portland would be more polished city kid looking,too. comparing to so cal for everything on these forums gets old! geesh. why not compare to portland? or texas,where OP is interested in moving from?
Perhaps the person who wrote that nice comment in response to the nice questions that the OP was asking, has never been to Texas... and wouldn't be able to compare it. So far, this has been a very nice and helpful thread....

Old 02-23-2010, 05:32 AM

857 posts, read 1,515,737 times
Default sarah_kate: Your Eugene Assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post

There are more people than there are jobs in this state: a fact I didn't realize when I moved here for the cost of living.

As for retirement: Mr. Eugenified is completely correct: everything anyone could need or want is here except for the fact that the UV is sparing. However, that's a tiny deficit.

Then you get into downtown Eugene & you see the best. Nice establishments of every variety. Women are more low key than let's say... So. Cal: not much for froo-froo. Men are relaxed & easy going. Kids are more relaxed. Not much for the surfer/skater/department store look here, unless it's a university student. In September the univers. students are everywhere from downtown to Walmart on west 11th, like a siege.

All throughout this area you'll see people who smile & are rather casually friendly: I love that here. You'll see children, in Spring, going to fish the river, poles over their shoulders. Sometimes it's almost like Mayberry...It's still very '70's here, even the blue skies testify to it!

Kate
That is a very accurate assessment compared to what I saw in a 24 hour period recently. Boulder, in contrast is no longer in the 1970's. The place is full of high-tech workers making 6 figure salaries, and there is little time for fishing or community gardening! Eugene is very laid back compared to both Boulder and also Santa Cruz.

I think that these lifestyle considerations should be taken into account when college students and other young people and young families are looking at these places. Eugene would be a little bit slow for me if I lived there, however, but I could survive it considering that Boulder and Santa Cruz were intolerable when I visited them.

Eugene also looks like it's still in the 1970's with the home designs and old high rise apartments. Are they planning to upgrade "the downtown?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area