Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:32 PM

13 posts, read 52,158 times

Advertisements

What are the towns like that are near Eugene? Are there good schools with a family feel in the more "country" towns near Eugene? I'm looking for a place that's not conservative, but not quite as far left leaning as Eugene. Any place like this exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:34 AM

180 posts, read 450,275 times
Default Coburg

I haven't lived in Oregon in many years but when I lived in Eugene (U of O, class of '78), Coburg was a really, really nice little town and very conveniently located.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepp View Post
What are the towns like that are near Eugene? Are there good schools with a family feel in the more "country" towns near Eugene? I'm looking for a place that's not conservative, but not quite as far left leaning as Eugene. Any place like this exist?
You might try this school district - Crow-Applegate-Lorane Schools Main Page

City of Lorane Oregon

Crow and Lorane are south of Eugene, but still close enough so that grocery shopping and getting to the bank is not a big bother. It's a nice area with lots of farms, hills, windy hilly roads. There are woodsy areas and wide open spaces areas. It's worth a drive if you're home hunting in the area. I've heard good things about the Crow-Applegate-Lorane school district.

You might also want to try the north river road area. I'm not sure about the schools in that area, but it also has a more "country" feel to it. There are PYO berry farms and farm stands and so on... Look at the map of Eugene and find River Road and just keep going north. Junction City is out that way as well, but again I don't know much about the schools in Junction City. I've heard from families who do live on little farms out there that it's a sweet place to live though.

Oregon also has a free online public school. Two, actually: Connections Academy and Oregon Virtual Academy. It's a bit like homeschooling, but your student is still enrolled in a public school and has a teacher and supplies provided by the school and so on, just as they would a traditional school. So if you find a place that fits your needs, but the schools are not very good there, there is always that option.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckycheese View Post
I haven't lived in Oregon in many years but when I lived in Eugene (U of O, class of '78), Coburg was a really, really nice little town and very conveniently located.
Coburg is a sweet little town, just north of Eugene. There is an elementary school there, but no middle or high school. The Coburg students go to Cal Young Middle school and Sheldon High School which are both in Eugene. Unfortunately, the kids who live in Eugene and go to Cal Young and Sheldon often give the Coburg kids a hard time... it's not a really big issue, and the staff at Cal oung I know are very aware of the problem and work hard to keep things in check, it's just something to think about. Our oldest son attends Cal Young, so it's just something we've seen the past two years. If they get involved in sports, though, they will probably find a way to fit in and not get picked on, maybe. Sports (football, basketball...) are a big deal at both schools, especially Sheldon.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 17,666 times
Default eugene area

Springfield is another city that is separated from Eugene by I-5. The schools in Springfield are excellent...the Springfield school superintendant is very progressive and dedicated to excellence in education...and to what is best for kids! Springfield is way more "blue collar" than Eugene. If you were to live in the Thurston area...which is east Springfield you could possibly get a "country feel." Springfield is also generally cheaper than Eugene in regards to housing for the most part. The other surrounding towns...Coburg, Junction City, Creswell, Cottage Grove, Elmira, Veneta...are very small and don't have much to do.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtomaryland View Post
Springfield is another city that is separated from Eugene by I-5. The schools in Springfield are excellent...the Springfield school superintendant is very progressive and dedicated to excellence in education...and to what is best for kids! Springfield is way more "blue collar" than Eugene. If you were to live in the Thurston area...which is east Springfield you could possibly get a "country feel." Springfield is also generally cheaper than Eugene in regards to housing for the most part. The other surrounding towns...Coburg, Junction City, Creswell, Cottage Grove, Elmira, Veneta...are very small and don't have much to do.
I am so glad to hear someone say something positive about Springfield! Springfield has this reputation for being run-down and white-trash, with bad schools... but there are really nice parts of Springfield, too. It's like referring to Eugene as a hippie mecca. Eugene is not all crunchy, it depends on the neighborhood you're in.

Why do you say that the schools are "excellent"? I have never heard that. I've heard that the schools are not great in Springfield... but maybe things are changing for the better? We've almost bought a home in Springfield several times, but what kept us away ultimately were the reputation of the schools. We have kids and we would rather rent near good schools while they finish school, than buy in a place where the schools are bad.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I am so glad to hear someone say something positive about Springfield! Springfield has this reputation for being run-down and white-trash, with bad schools... but there are really nice parts of Springfield, too. It's like referring to Eugene as a hippie mecca. Eugene is not all crunchy, it depends on the neighborhood you're in.

Why do you say that the schools are "excellent"? I have never heard that. I've heard that the schools are not great in Springfield... but maybe things are changing for the better? We've almost bought a home in Springfield several times, but what kept us away ultimately were the reputation of the schools. We have kids and we would rather rent near good schools while they finish school, than buy in a place where the schools are bad.
I've heard that Thurston High School is a very good school. Haven't heard much else about Springfield schools...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 PM

231 posts, read 778,552 times
Objective test scores and other interesting data for all schools in Oregon can be checked here: AYP and Report Card Download - Oregon Department of Education

Old 08-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I've heard that Thurston High School is a very good school. Haven't heard much else about Springfield schools...
I've heard good things about Thurston, too. I guess I always consider Thurston as outside or not a part of Springfield...The Thurston Hills area is great!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:12 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,549,769 times
Thurston is awesome. There is a bit of a smell from the mill, though. If you have kids, I don't think you'd want them taking the bus in Springfield. It's just not something I'd recommend, at least not for kids. If you don't know what I mean, just try it once by yourself. It's stressful, beyond any measure I've otherwise experienced, for the bus type experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area