U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 13,912 times

Advertisements

My husband and two dogs are planning on moving to the area soon. I understand that now is not the time to be moving around but we have been planning this move for a while. We are from Michigan, lived in Seattle, in Reno presently and have been wanting to move to a smaller greener town out west for years now. Eugene is perfect for our lives and we are VERY excited for this move. Our first thing is finding jobs in the area which I understand may take sometime. I guess I want to try to use this forum to get to know some people. I know that sometimes finding a job is being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. I do administrative / coordinator work and my husband does vinyl fence / deck installations (I know tough field right now). It is worth a try, right?? Also, we are wanting to get some input on where a good area in Eugene/Springfield is to rent (northeast, southeast, southwest, northwest, Springfield, Thurston, outskirt towns). We appreciate anyone taking the time to respond. Cheers
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM

231 posts, read 733,420 times
Is it just me, or is there something strange in the line "My husband and two dogs are planning on moving to the area soon." It sounds as if the dogs are making a well-planned decision.

Anyways, re the rental location issue: Please give us some more hints of your style, hopes, dreams, etc. so that we can give you a more tailored answer.

And I would be remiss if I did not give you the standard advice: You probably are better off not moving to Eugene unless you have a job here lined up in advance.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM

I include my pets in everything. Cheesy, I know. They are like our kids.

I am so happy to get a response!! You are asking a great question. We are looking for a home that has a yard for the dogs so maybe not something too close to the downtown area. Being closer to a river or lake would be nice. Maybe within 15 minutes or so.

And yes, we don't plan on moving until a job is locked in. This is one of the reason that I am doing this forum and why we understand that it may be a while before we move.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:00 PM

By the way, I think the two main employers in this area for admin work are the University of Oregon and Peacehealth medical. You should check out their websites for job openings.

Rivers, lakes, dogs...a little out of my area of specialty (I am more of a south Eugene hills, restaurants, and Netflix "expert"). Let's see what the other forum people can suggest.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks Mr.Eugenified! What is your top 3 restaurants in the area??? I will be in town over Halloween for a long weekend and would love to know your thoughts.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna11 View Post
Thanks Mr.Eugenified! What is your top 3 restaurants in the area??? I will be in town over Halloween for a long weekend and would love to know your thoughts.
Will send you a link for restaurant reviews via private message.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:45 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,095,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
By the way, I think the two main employers in this area for admin work are the University of Oregon and Peacehealth medical. You should check out their websites for job openings.

Rivers, lakes, dogs...a little out of my area of specialty (I am more of a south Eugene hills, restaurants, and Netflix "expert"). Let's see what the other forum people can suggest.
Job links found here:
Coming to Oregon? Check these links for FAQ s before posting
The state of OR also has some medical jobs... I think I've got all the links you need at the sticky.

Water recreation: that's what Oregon is all about! You can't go far without stumbling upon a creek or a river... lots of lakes in OR.

Dining: lots of choices here. There are online reviews to... I think it's a yahoo site that has those, along with maps & pinpoints for the eateries.

Lots of trails for dogs/walkers/joggers/bicyclists.

Welcome,

Kate

Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 PM

504 posts, read 1,334,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Eugenified View Post
Is it just me, or is there something strange in the line "My husband and two dogs are planning on moving to the area soon." It sounds as if the dogs are making a well-planned decision.

Anyways, re the rental location issue: Please give us some more hints of your style, hopes, dreams, etc. so that we can give you a more tailored answer.

And I would be remiss if I did not give you the standard advice: You probably are better off not moving to Eugene unless you have a job here lined up in advance.
It's YOU. Anyone who has ever lived with a loyal, loving pet will know exactly why she included the dogs in her quest.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 3,933 times
Red face Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna11 View Post

Henna11 & Mr. Eugenified, I'm also coming to Eugene this weekend and would love to know your recommendations, too! A friend from Eureka, CA is driving up for a visit and dinner tomorrow and I'll be there until Tuesday morning. I'm being flown in tomorrow morning for an interview at PeaceHealth. Wish me luck!

BTW, Mr. Eugenified, do you know any websites to look at rental possibilities? I found a site with rentals in the margin, but didn't save it.

Thanks,
mewilde

Old 10-31-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewilde View Post
Henna11 & Mr. Eugenified, I'm also coming to Eugene this weekend and would love to know your recommendations, too! A friend from Eureka, CA is driving up for a visit and dinner tomorrow and I'll be there until Tuesday morning. I'm being flown in tomorrow morning for an interview at PeaceHealth. Wish me luck!

BTW, Mr. Eugenified, do you know any websites to look at rental possibilities? I found a site with rentals in the margin, but didn't save it.

Thanks,
mewilde
Hi mewilde:

First of all, good luck on your interview!

Re restaurants: I have kinda middle-of-the-road tastes, so I am going to play it safe and recommend Steelhead for dinner or lunch. I have never had a bad meal there, and only once had so so service. Every other time the service was very professional. Food is burgers, fish, pasta, onsite brewed beer, etc. Nothing fancy, but very reliable. It's located in a nice area near 5th Street Market so you could walk over there afterwards and take a look around.

There are some other more artsy fartsy restaurants in the nearby downtown area that get good reviews from others, but I have not tried them. You know...huge white plates with 1/4 food and 3/4 empty space with some swirls of sauce. Not really my thing. You can read more reviews of other places on my website.

Re rentals: I think someone else has asked the same question, so you may want to search the other posts for rental websites. I rented once from Pioneer Property Management and found a place from their website. But I also think that Craigslist is a very good source for most rentals. Rough price range for a nice 3 bedroom house in south Eugene is $1200-1500 (not a grungy place for college kids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: