U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 01:37 PM

74 posts, read 292,880 times

Advertisements

Will (hopefully) be moving to the Eugene area in about 2 to 3 months. Will likely rent, but the job I am looking into is located in the Santa Clara area off River Rd. near the Beltline. It seems Santa Clara rentals are a little higher than I want, but was wondering how long of a drive time it would be if I lived in the south side of town, South Hills or Friendly, or even over on the west side to get up to the Santa Clara area? How is morning and afternoon traffic via that corridor?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:25 PM

231 posts, read 732,382 times
10-15 minutes. 20 at most. There is little traffic in Eugene to speak of.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM

Default One follow up question

I am really undecided about purchasing property up that way. Living in Florida, I have gotten really disgusted with the escalating costs of insurance and property taxes, to the point where I wonder if there really is any financial benefit to owning your own home (and the headaches of the costs of repairs, yard maintenance, etc). Anybody know what the typical tax rate is in that area, say, on a house worth about 300K?

Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMD View Post
I am really undecided about purchasing property up that way. Living in Florida, I have gotten really disgusted with the escalating costs of insurance and property taxes, to the point where I wonder if there really is any financial benefit to owning your own home (and the headaches of the costs of repairs, yard maintenance, etc). Anybody know what the typical tax rate is in that area, say, on a house worth about 300K?
The rate is roughly 2% but it is based on the assessed value of the house, not the actual market value. The assessed value is set by the government and is usually a lot lower than the real value. There was a state law passed a while back that capped the amount that the assessed value can increase each year. Because of that, the assessed value of most houses is lagging behind the real appreciated value. So, long story short, you usually pay about 1.1% of the true market value of your house.

Of course, it is case by case, so you have to review any particular house to see its actual situation. You can look up any particular property here: Lane County Assessment and Taxation Property Information

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks a lot Mr. Eugenefied. Hope to be up there in a few weeks to get another look around some neighborhoods.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:10 PM

In case you missed it, here is a post i did on some of the neighborhoods:

//www.city-data.com/forum/eugen...ml#post9779097

Old 10-19-2009, 11:21 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,817,896 times
I didn't realize that Eugene had anything that resembled corridors! Wow! I guess the town is growing up a bit.

Seriously, though, unless there's an accident or something you can pretty much get from anywhere in Eugene to anywhere else in Eugene in about 15 - 20 minutes tops. The only people that complain about traffic here seems to be the ones who've always lived here or at least the ones who have lived here long enough to remember when it was more of a "farm town" and less built-out than it is now. If you're coming from Florida you will probably be very happy.

We came from DFW (Texas) via California and also spent some time in the Seattle/Eastside area and those places were horrible places to drive anywhere. By comparison - Eugene is paradise! My only complaint with the driving here is that the roads are bad in lots of places due to the logging trucks and studded tires and probably also due to lack of money spent fixing them. I-5 is the noisiest interstate I've ever experienced in my life.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,817,896 times
Oh - and wanted to add, too... We found a few homes in Santa Clara and the River Road neighborhood that were great but decided against them because it was in an unincorporated area. It's just something to consider. If it had been within the city of Eugene we would have kept looking over there as there are some nice places there... but if we are going to live in Eugene, we want to be in Eugene, but that's just us. We know someone who lives over there in the unincorporated area and when she had to call the police recently, she had to call the county sheriff instead of the Eugene police and she said it took forever for them to get there. Also we would have had to pay more for use of the public library (which we wouldn't have minded doing since we use the library a lot) and a few other considerations. It's a great area, though. Patchy in parts...

Old 10-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Took me 28 minutes exactly to drive from the far southwest corner of town to the far northeast corner of town today (went to Johnson Farms to buy some pumpkins). That's definitely the longest drive you will ever have in Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area