U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2009, 04:36 PM

6 posts, read 9,542 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
my husband and I have been talking about moving for long enough and it is time to stop talking. We have a handful of places that we are looking at out west and have a list of questions and priorities. We are currently living in upstate NY in the foothills of the Adirondacks. Top of the list of reasons for moving is the cold (below zero numerous times in the winter). We have lived all over NY including the city, and in upstate MA juat to give you an idea of where we have been and what we are used to. The job market as it is in the entire country we know it is going to be hard anywhere we go and we are choosing to move anyway. We have enough savings for about three-four months of rent bills etc. before finding jobs, but hope it will not take that long. On to the list:

Good hiking within a reasonable (hour) distance
Farmers market(s)
small farming within a hours drive (husband has worked for farms for the last few years)
Independent bookstore!
independent businesses, we prefer to buy local/independent as much as possible and need the option
Poetry/art/live music scene?
How is the public transportation?
Types of restaurants and quality?
Seasons? length and temp? I hate the freezing cold of where we live but do love the seasons!
at least some apparent cultural diversity (where we live there is absolutely none)

anything else you think we should know, best and worst aspects of the city? Give me all and anything you have got. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 01:39 PM

9,793 posts, read 10,866,955 times
It absolutely can take longer than 3 - 4 months to find employment in Oregon no matter what your specialty or experience. In fact, it likely will take longer than 4 months to find work here. Besides, if climate were my number one reason for leaving upstate NY I can think of a ton (really) of closer places than Oregon. Northern VA comes to mind. As far as I can see the places with the best employment outlook also have some of the worst climate imaginable. Also what constitutes a good employment outlook is very specific. You haven't said what your fields are so it all really depends. Public transportation in Portland is some of the best in the country but I have yet to find an employer (potential) who doesn't insist on my having a car. Public transportation in Eugene may or may not exist I haven't researched it but it hasn't made the Top Ten list if it in fact does exist in some fashion. Also, what constitutes "cultural diversity" in your eyes? It is not my experience that true, unsubjective diversity abounds in cities with populations under a million or so. Be careful what you ask for, however, IMO whether or not you are part of "the dominant culture', "diversity'" is a bit overrated. People want it when it is absent but when it arrives they start packing and put the house up for sale. There you are, more than you wanted to know maybe but, you asked.

H

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 AM

231 posts, read 739,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to wander View Post
Farmers market(s)
small farming within a hours drive (husband has worked for farms for the last few years)
Independent bookstore!
independent businesses, we prefer to buy local/independent as much as possible and need the option
Seasons? length and temp? I hate the freezing cold of where we live but do love the seasons!
at least some apparent cultural diversity (where we live there is absolutely none)
I would say that Eugene has all of the above. In fact, you have pretty much described Eugene perfectly with this list. The only thing I am not so sure about is the public transportation system, but it appears to be good. I have heard from some people and read in the local paper that riders are fairly satisfied. But you should probably do more research on this to be sure. If you live in the right location, you can probably bike just about anywhere.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 AM

8 posts, read 16,359 times
Just this to mention about Eugene: not particularly diverse (88.15% White for Eugene) but does have the other qualities you mentioned, I think. Within that 88.15% white, I didn't notice any expression of different cultures either (like German, Irish, Polish, etc.). But maybe I missed that.

Also, I agree with the previous post about the job market. It is very tough in Oregon (everywhere?) right now. I highly recommend lining up a job before you move. I'm not trying to be negative here, just offering a word of caution. I think you'll enjoy your move much more if you know that you'll be financially secure rather than in limbo. For the month of September 2009, for example, there were only 5 states with a higher unemployment rate than Oregon.

Stats aside: Oregon is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Mountains, lakes, rivers, rugged coastline, high deserts, snow, fall color, warm sunny summers. It's maginificent.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 AM

857 posts, read 1,553,016 times
Default Eugene Renting Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPatrick View Post
I highly recommend lining up a job before you move. I'm not trying to be negative here, just offering a word of caution.
Good advice however there's no way to get a job in advance when nobody is hiring. The only people that can do this are doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, etc. and other white collar professionals who fly out for interviews, and then go back and drive across the country.

The only way to move anywhere right now, it seems, is to move with a significant other, or, to have a parent, relative, or legal guardian co-sign a lease. Unfortunately, many of these landlords require that one makes at least three times the monthly rent. That's silly, because the Median Multiple for buying a house is usually 3:1 (much higher in Eugene). So, the standards for renting are now the same as for buying in the USA. Ridiculous. These landlords are contributing to the homeless issue that you see in places such as Flagstaff, Tucson, Albuquerque, Vegas, South Lake Tahoe, etc. It is very sad and they are very greedy and un-American with their lack of trust of folks such as the OP who are in search of a better lifestyle.

The best advice is not to move, since landlords do not trust new people coming to town w/o jobs. Been there, done that, I'm sorry to say, and I've got enough money for first, last, and deposit!
However the original posters are married, so they will have a much easier time, as will single women. Single guys especially over 25 are viewed with suspicion, especially if they are NOT college students. Been there, done that!

Still looking,
-Tom
see below --

Originally Posted by learning to wander
Farmers market(s)
Independent bookstore!

I am looking for the same and Eugene meets all of these, of course, as does Corvallis where I lived 14 years ago. If someone IN EUGENE can convince me that landlords will rent to me as a single guy, w/o a significant other, just me, w/ no friends, then I'll move!

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 10-28-2009 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: Single Women

Old 11-04-2009, 07:05 PM

39 posts, read 206,509 times
Default My answers...

My answers, from my perspective...

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to wander View Post

On to the list:

Excellent hiking all over the state... Spencer's Butte (a popular trail) is 5 minutes out of South Eugene

Farmers market(s)
There's the Saturday Market (Downtown) through most of the warm part of the year, otherwise I know theres a smaller Farmers Market in South Eugene, probably more elsewhere

Also, IMO... Market of Choice is a very nice grocery store option in the area. Organic and Conventional options for nearly everything (produce and processed) in the big store....

independent businesses, we prefer to buy local/independent as much as possible and need the option... Poetry/art/live music scene?
All are a strong part of the culture in Eugene...

Efficient and effective, not quite as large as Portland though, they have the MAX light rail.

Lane Transit District Bus Map:
http://www.ltd.org/pdf/routes/2008%20System%20Map.pdf (broken link)

Theres good food to be had, but service generally sucks around town.

Seasons? length and temp?
Cool and wet, with some nice sunny warm weather every once and a while. We did have a 75 degree beach (hour away) camping trip this past January, while there was an inverted temperature thing going on in the valley (Eugene) It was cool(30-45) and cloudy back there. Still, mostly cool and wet year round.

Diversity?
haha, your kidding right? Eugene is pretty white. Alot of hippie culture. Young and old hippies. It seems to be a transient town also for poor and not so poor vagabonds (on the I-5 corridor)
Last but not least, I was always told, before moving to Eugene.... It's chill.
The bike (bicycle) culture is nice, if thats your thing. Good luck in your move. It can be an interesting place.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:17 PM

11 posts, read 26,528 times
Wink The Buck Stops Here

You should love it here in Eugene. Just bring your own money or printing press!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area