Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 PM

7 posts, read 23,162 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking of Eugene as my retirement town - I have been there several times now and like it. But I thought winters were chilly and cloudy - as in high temps about 45 and lows about 35. But I have seen frigid temperatures (12 degrees!!) for over a week there now. Is this typical every winter or was this something really unusual? I guess I am wondering how much of this type of weather hits Eugene each winter. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:11 AM

499 posts, read 1,447,132 times
This is one of those notorious 'Arctic Blasts' that only strikes every 10-20 years. This is the coldest it's been since 1998, I believe. And still not as bad as the one that hit the entire West Coast in Dec. '90. That blast extended all the way to S. California. Most winters you'll get the drizzly days with lows in the mid-30's - 40's & highs about 10 degrees higher.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:30 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
It's warm and sunny today! The temps in the teens is not typical. ^^ What puerco said.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:23 PM

7 posts, read 23,162 times
Thanks to both or you. I knew it was not typical but wondered if this might be a once, twice or 3 times a year occurrence. Good to know that it is more like a once in 10 years occurrence!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,890 times
This last event should have not lasted as long as it did. The cold air just got stuck in the valley, especially at the bottom of the valley. That is why we dipped down to the single digits while Portland stayed in the balmy warm teens at night. I have only been here since last winter... but Eugene's climate is moderated by the pacific. Yes there is a mountain range between the pacific and the Willamette valley, but it is still close enough to the ocean. Last year was also a fluke with all that snow, but it mainly stayed up near Portland because of the arctic outflow from the Columbia river gorge. In the winter its mainly in the upper 30's near 40 at night with highs in the mid upper 40's (rain) clear nights which are rare, you may see upper 20's low 30's at night and in the day it may get near 50...

Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
I would agree that arctic blasts are by no means the norm, but I have been through several "blue frosts" in my 11 years in W. Oregon. In my experience, such events occur every 2-4 years, last less than a week, and the temp will stay between 10-32 degrees. That is enough to freeze things solid,and to get a bit of snow, but not to be bitter. I actually like them. It is nice to see sunny days and starry nights in winter. The typical winter storms do not allow it.

The averages you quote are pretty right on, but that does not mean cold weather does not occasionally roll through. It does, but it is infrequent and short-lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area