U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM

7 posts, read 16,971 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a plane ticket to Portland for February 2010. I live in the Northeast (Boston area) and would like to move to the Northwest. I've heard great things about Portland, though the more I look into it the more expensive and unrealistic it seems. Is Eugene a better place to explore as far as jobs, living expenses, etc.? I'm a single 43 year old male. I'm more on the bohemian attitude. Is Eugene good for me? What do you think?

Thanks,
T
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 11:38 AM

2,300 posts, read 4,114,061 times
It depends on what you do for a living, but I'd say it will be much easier to find a job in Portland than Eugene. Also, there are some areas in and around Portland that are about equivalent in affordability to Eugene.

And I think you can be a bohemian just about anywhere in Western Oregon. There are urban bohemians, suburban bohemians and rural bohemians here.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,796,272 times
I agree with jjpop... we're in Eugene. Eugene can feel really small... if you want a more authentic living in a city feel go with Portland. If you prefer smaller towns go with Corvallis or Eugene. And seriously consider the job thing - you'll definitely have an easier time finding a job in Portland.

The longer I live in Eugene, the smaller it feels. But I'm continually impressed and surprised with what all we find here to keep us busy and happy! It's really an amazing place. We're very happy raising our kids here.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,075,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aryon92 View Post
Hi All,

I have a plane ticket to Portland for February 2010. I live in the Northeast (Boston area) and would like to move to the Northwest. I've heard great things about Portland, though the more I look into it the more expensive and unrealistic it seems. Is Eugene a better place to explore as far as jobs, living expenses, etc.? I'm a single 43 year old male. I'm more on the bohemian attitude. Is Eugene good for me? What do you think?

Thanks,
T
Since Boston has an excellent transportation system, I think you'd LOVE Portland. Eugene has an OK one.

Jobs are a problem here, though. Anywhere in this state.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,462,328 times
Eugene is a smaller version of Portland. Less traffic, a bit cheaper, perhaps more hippies (real and faux), but generally a very livable city. Fewer big city cultural attractions, but UofO athletics right at your fingertips. College atmosphere can be attractive. Liberal at the center, conservative around the edges...much like Portland. Hard times right now, but when and if this recession ends, Eugene will most likely thrive again. Oh, and the climate is better. Hardly ever ice storms, little snow, and usually 5 degrees warmer than Portland. (both winter and summer).

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 PM

351 posts, read 1,175,582 times
I have lived in Eugene, I have family in Salem and I now live in Bend.

I moved to Eugene because it was cheaper.... If I had to do over again I would of moved to the Portland area even though it is more expensive.

I am now reside in a pine forest of Bend and could not be happier....

Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 PM

4 posts, read 12,720 times
Hello! I have lived in both areas. Portland has more to offer culturally (whether that culture is bohemian or knob hill) but isn't as nice weather-wise. The is simply a lot more to do in Portland but Eugene is fantastic. Finding work in either place is hard. Finding housing quickly is easier in Portland because you can always go to what we used to call transient hotels to live if you're in a bind. Eugene is a great place if you want to ride a bicycle around instead of own a car, though. It comes down to Lower Price = Eugene, More Excitement = Portland. Good luck and welcome to Oregon!

Old 12-21-2009, 03:07 AM

5 posts, read 19,056 times
Default eugene resident

I moved from the midwest to Eugene ten years ago. I lived in Portland for three years.

First of all, Oregon should not be as expensive as Boston. Finding a job in Eugene, however, may be difficult. Eugene is a small town with little industry. If you own a business or can live on an arts and crafts salary, you can survive here. Otherwise, the current economy has put a real squeeze on job seekers here.

Eugene is a small town, with a fair sized university It is where old hippies go to die. It has great bike trails, restaurants and a high quality Saturday market. The summer is perfect and beautiful and the winter is mild and rainy. It is fairly laid back. For a small town, we have quite a few cultural events. The Hult Center brings in plays and comedy acts. Frequently when acts are touring the west coast, Eugene is an easy stop and since we are in between Seattle and California, we are often visited. However, night life in general is centered around the university.

Portland is bigger. It has more museums, malls, concerts, clubs etc. It also has more traffic. Factor in that Portland is only a two hour drive from Eugene if you need to get to a big city. Portland is a very clean city and fairly safe.

Check our Sperling's best places on the internet. They have done some real homework comparing cities, crime, weather, people, cost of living.

I love Eugene. The people are interesting, and it calls on everyone to be creative and march to their own drum. The country fair is a hoot every July, as is the Eugene Celebration in September. The people are kind to animals and other living things, and they are politically active. People take turns merging on the highway ramps, and look for opportunities to be kind. My daughter went to high school there and commented that the kids in the midwest bullied students who did not fit in, but in Eugene if someone was mean to another student, the whole class would step up and peer pressure would put an end to that behavior. I think that expresses the Eugene attitude well.

This may be my unique opinion, but Portland seems to have more of a yuppie feel to it. However, in general, it embraces many of the same qualities as Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area