U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,009 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My wife and I are in the process of deciding where we would like to spend out "sunset years." (Don't you just love those euphemisms for "places we might like to live until we die?") We have been in love with the Pacific Northwest for a couple of decades but have never been able to really settle on anyplace. Tonight, my wife called (I'm in sales, and travel) and said that I should really take a good look at Eugene.

Here's our story: We have lived for years in Iowa City, Iowa, a Big Ten University community of about 100,000. We really enjoy a city of that size, and love the way a university community keeps us feeling young and in touch. But we HATE midwestern winters, and would love to be closer to the coast for weekend trips and vacations. The more I look at Eugene, the more I think it might be right for us, but I'd like to hear from others who have made the move there in retirement. What do you really like? What do you really hate?

I'll look forward to hearing your responses.

Dave
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:00 AM

231 posts, read 733,527 times
Eugene sounds perfect for what you are looking for. It's larger than your 100,000 population town, but does not feel so. Good university feel, plenty of small local restaurants, no real traffic problems, great walking and jogging culture, etc. etc.

What's not so good is that there is a distinct sub-group of mullet-wearing types (maybe 10% of the residents; even if they do not wear mullets). If you stay away from them, like I do, then you will only read about them in the newspaper when they get arrested for drunk driving or other idiotic mayhem. They also tend to shop at Walmart and play the lottery a lot. :-|

Other problem is the homeless issue with no one willing to honestly face the issue and come up with solutions. On one side, you have crazy people who want to beat up the homeless. And on the other side, you have people who feel never-ending compassion for the homeless whether they deserve it or not. There's got to be a better solution. It's not a huge problem here (like in other areas like Santa Cruz or Berkeley or even downtown Seattle), but it is annoying sometimes.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 PM

899 posts, read 2,704,891 times
Hello
We live up in salem and landed here in a motorhome 6 years ago, found a house we couldn't pass up and the rest is history..we were full time rvers out of northern california.
We love the 4 seasons, the sports, the valley is sports crazy, the gardening its the best, we about over dose in the summer on all the yummy fruit and veggies, you never run out of things to do..being retired there are plenty places to volunteer at ..The Willamette Valley is just the best place to ride off into the sunset in..
The only downside would be finding a good Dr they are in short supply..
Come visit..

Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Thanks to you both for your input. Pertinent and relevant, particularly the part about doctors (I had open-heart surgery earlier this year, which tends to make the mind focus on the availability of medical services when necessary). It sounds like we need to plan a ten- or fourteen-day trip to Eugene just to scope things out and get a feel for the area. While you have "four seasons" there, it's not like the four seasons we have in Iowa (July: 95 degrees, 145% humidity; January: -10 degrees with wind chills in the minus thirties and occasional blizzards), but let me ask you this: What is the WORST time to visit Eugene? If we were to visit then, we could say (hopefully) "If that's the worst it gets, I think we can handle it."

Looking forward to more input, and appreciative of the warmth and quality of the responses so far. Thanks!

Dave

Old 12-02-2009, 06:10 AM

Jan and Feb are the worst months for rain...which is the issue that most people worry about before moving here (including me).

On the doctor issue, we have a fairly huge medical complex here in Eugene.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Thanks, Mr. E! I'll monitor the temps and rainfall over the next few months (too late to plan a decent vacation and get the time off right now) and will make a personal visit in 2011.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:29 PM

From my own real world observation, the rain in Eugene has some interesting characteristics that make it more acceptable to me than the statistics originally led me to believe before moving here.

The statistics show lots of rain in terms of inches per month...usually a bar graph with a big peak in the Nov Dec Jan Feb range. Side by side with the graphs for other cities, Eugene looks pretty wet and dreary.

But the actual rain "behavior" in Eugene is not so bad. First of all, when it rains, it seems to rain for an hour or two, and then oftentimes the sun comes out immediately afterwards. Then it is beautiful with the massive greenery nicely watered and the sun shining down. This rain/sun cycle sometimes happens twice in a single day. (Lots of rainbows to be seen in Eugene. They should invent a graph to show that!).

For me, this rain/sun cycle is no problem. I hate rain, but I really like sun, so I am ok with the end result. For my wife, she actually likes this type of weather more than just sun/sun.

It also rains a lot at night. So the bar graph data includes a significant portion of nighttime rain fall. But personally, I don't really worry much about nighttime rain, since I'm in my home, nice and warm, watching TV or sleeping.

As for the other seasons, spring is beautiful and GREEN, summer is a bit hot but still nicely green, and autumn is a spectacular ORANGE/YELLOW/RED burst of colorful leaves like I have never seen before anywhere.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:00 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,097,164 times
Thumbs up Oregon Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidave View Post
Thanks, Mr. E! I'll monitor the temps and rainfall over the next few months (too late to plan a decent vacation and get the time off right now) and will make a personal visit in 2011.
Perhaps this thread will interest you? Some posters put a pic o' the day, too. Today's Oregon Weather

Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM

After a foot of snow with high winds and sub-zero temperatures (can you say "blizzard?") two weeks ago, and freezing rain/sleet/snow predicted for the next 48 hours, a little rain doesn't sound so bad.

Old 12-24-2009, 08:54 PM

688 posts, read 1,368,265 times
Just what is so bad about shopping at Wal-Mart? I have to agree about the playing the lottery a lot, but don't see anything wrong with Wal-Mart (actually, I prefer reading a good book or hiking up the mountain or 4-wheeling a lot betting than shopping, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area