Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,798 times

Advertisements

The smell is probably coming from the waste treatment plant on River Av at the River Road and Beltline intersection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:10 PM
ima

6 posts, read 38,625 times
Probably all of the above and the pig farm.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 18,975 times
Default Halsey Pulp Mill

I live on the northern edge of Santa Clara and agree, this is a reoccuring evening/late night sewage-like smell that occurs mostly during the summer (late June to late September). I checked with the Lane Regional Air Pollution Authority (LRAPA) once and they said the wind was coming from the north the night in question.

However, the only nearby sewage treatment plant is on River Ave (to the south) along with a biosolids management facility off of Awbrey Lane (to the west). During the summer, the wind in the Willamette valley blows mostly from the north--this is why I've heard Eugene called the "Chimney of the Willamette Valley."

Because of the north wind, LRAPA suggested the sewage smell was possibly from the Georgia-Pacific tissue paper pulp plant in Halsey. However, LRAPA can't do anything about it because Halsey is in Linn county.

This past Saturday evening (8/4) , My wife and I were driving south on I-5 just prior to the Harrisburg exit and my wife said, "That's the smell!" At that time, Halsey was north northwest of us....

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 9,504 times
Default you're smelling EWEB

I can't believe no one has suggested EWEB, which is very close to the Ferry Street bridge. I used to work in downtown Eugene and was always asking what that nasty smell was. After I realized wet wood mulch smelled that way, I noticed that the EWEB plant close to the Ferry Street bridge had piles of it there.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,991,945 times
We totally smell this - mainly at night or in the early mornings and as someone else mentioned, mainly during late Summer to early fall. We are near the intersection of N. Delta hwy and Beltline in north Eugene (Cal Young neighborhood). It's a horrible smell, so we always close our windows.

Does anyone know if it is harmful to breath this awful smell in?

We are looking at homes to buy in South Eugene... can you smell this awful smell in South Eugene? My goodness - I hope not!

Old 01-07-2009, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 18,975 times
Default Halsey Pulp Mill

Hmmm.... Last summer (2008), when Pope & Talbot went bankrupt and shut down their tissue paper mill in Halsey, the smell went away. A month later, when a private equity firm bought the mill and restarted it, the smell returned.

It's probably some micro-climate in the north Eugene area that draws the heavier (smell) particulates back to earth. The Oregon DEQ says that both Halsey mills are not in violation of their air pollution permits but also that the DEQ doesn't regulate smell.

Complain to the Lane Regional Air Pollution Authority (LRAPA) at lrapa@lrapa.org.
Compalin to the Oreogn DEQ at DEQInfo@deq.state.or.us (they ask that you include your county in the messge).

They'll ignore one voice but may pay attention to many.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:10 PM

351 posts, read 1,279,091 times
I AM basically at the Beltline and Barger....
Saturday evening/night (1/10/09) there was a real bad smell.... not a @rap smell.... but it was a unpleasant smell.... and I don't think it was (forest products) compost.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM

This is interesting... thank you... RainRainRainRain*sun*Rain... for that info!!

Skypros we smelled it Saturday night, too. We are near N. Delta and Green Acres...

Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,789,823 times
Resurrecting an old thread...

So I smell this smell and my friends in Eugene smell it. What is it?? Has anyone figured it out for sure? Is it the mill in Halsey? It smells so terrible... Like day old boiled cabbage maybe.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:54 PM

I thought we deciphered it was the paper mill in Halsey? We smell it, too. We're near Gilham Elementary School and Cal Young MIddle School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area