U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:20 PM

230 posts, read 567,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Hi again! You're so sweet. Yes, Mr. Eugenified is a good source of info - especially when it comes to good eats in Eugene! He knows his stuff.

Here - I'll share my online photo albums, where I have lots of pictures we've taken in Eugene and along the coast. I have tons more photos so if you'd like to see pictures of something specific let me know and I'll see what I can do. My husband also just gave me a sweet new dslr camera for my birthday so I've been on a picture-taking frenzy of late... I love taking pictures and as I'm learning how to use my new toy I'd love to help. Anyway - here's the link: Picasa Web Albums - bloggity

And here are some pictures:

This is Neahkanie beach. One of the things I love about Oregon's beaches is that you're often all alone for mile-long stretches of it. Especially if you go during the middle of the week during the school-year while everyone else is at work or in school.

This is the Yaquina Bay Bridge. It is one which was designed by Conde McCullough, a famous Oregon bridge designer. Here's a link that tells more about him and his hwy 101 (Oregon Coast Highway) bridges: Oregon Coast Bridges

While you're in Eugene - watch out for what I call these Happy Yellow Signs. To me, they are one of the awesome "Eugene things" that we really missed when we moved away from Eugene for one very long, sad, year. We were so happy to come back to Eugene and see that the mysterious people who do these are still up to their good. (I happen to know who they are now, by some secret sleuthing... but I'll never tell!)

OK - to answer a few questions:

fish hatcheries: ODFW Hatchery Management

And it's super easy using Reserve America to reserve campsites ahead of time. We do this quite often, as we prefer staying in yurts as opposed to tent or RV camping. There are also cabins, and even teepee's and wagons you can rent at some parks. I highly recommend the yurts, especially with kids. A few coastal campsites have deluxe yurts which have hot showers and toilets and a small kitchen inside the yurt, but most campsites along the coast offer the plain rustic yurts. The yurts are great because they have a door which locks, a heater, bunk beds, a futon, tables and chairs, etc. plus the outdoor fire pit for the campfire and a picnic table. Each site has a driveway you park your car at, so unloading is quick and easy. But if you want to tent camp, there are great spots for that, too.

I think our favorite top two sites currently are the Washburne yurt D-2 ; and the Cape Blanco cabin site A33 (also called the Osprey). The D-2 yurt at Washburne was tons of fun for our kids because it's situated right next to a big hill that's very woodsy, so even when we were resting back at the yurt, the kids were running around in "the woods" but they were still close enough to us to be safe and within sight. The Osprey cabin at Cape Blanco has a really nice view, and is really close to the walking trail that will take you down to the beach. You can also drive down to this beach - which is something they don't allow you to do on much of the coast.

You can reserve sites up to nine months in advance. In summer it's very hard to find an available space, but during the off-season (during the school year) you can often find a space without reserving ahead. It's always best to reserve ahead though. Each time we've been to a state park, there have been hosts and park rangers on-site who seem very attentive to all the goings-on. Lots of times they are retired couples who live out of their RV's and go from park to park as a seasonal thing... they have always been really friendly and lots of help, so be sure to introduce yourselves when you arrive.
Your pics are wonderful! I concur that Washburne is an awesome place to camp! It's my fave. I love the secret little pond with the water lilies, and the Hobbit Trail to the beach. The only caveat with Washburne is that you have to cross 101 on foot to climb down to the beach. While it's not that busy all the time, it can be a bit stressful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,828,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
Your pics are wonderful! I concur that Washburne is an awesome place to camp! It's my fave. I love the secret little pond with the water lilies, and the Hobbit Trail to the beach. The only caveat with Washburne is that you have to cross 101 on foot to climb down to the beach. While it's not that busy all the time, it can be a bit stressful.
True that. Especially with kids. But we've never had a problem, especially the low-traffic times we tend to go. Wouldn't it be cool if they tunneled a little bridge under the hwy? They have tunnels in other locations, and they are always so fun. For the life of me I can't remember what campground it was that we stayed at... it was on the coast and I want to say it was Nehalem Bay but I'm not sure if that's right... but from one of the campgrounds we've yurt-camped at there was a sweet trail through through the woods that also ran along a shallow creek, and you actually walked under hwy 101 at one point along the trail to get to the beach. It was a northern coastal campground... hmmm...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,828,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
I just have to second you on this comment about haggardhouself! I keep finding myself unable to give post rep because I seem to keep giving it to her over and over! Love the posts! Your posts are great as well, very positive and open-minded. Hope you have a wonderful visit!
Oh! So kind of you to say that... Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area