U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,492 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I have been seriously considering a move to Eugene, I have never been so I have been researching and googling galore and I stumbled onto this website last month, and I'm so very glad that I did! It's so refreshing to hear real peoples opinions of this and other cities. We have 3 little girls, so neighborhoods and schools are very important to us and we have found very helpful advice in this forum and information from other sites. So far we love what we hear - other than jobs being few and far between which after all will be the deciding factor on when we actually do move!!

We are planning on coming on down in the beginning of March, just to see for ourselves! I've gathered some great ideas on where to eat, parks to visit and such. Is there anything you would recommend we see to absolutely sell us on Eugene?? (Not that it will take much!) It sounds like it's just the place we've been looking for! Great people, wonderful schools, breath-taking scenery, the OCEAN being so close, I could go on for hours! (Oh wait, I already have!) We will also be going to the coast and that's where I have another question; what type of clothing and shoes should one wear around March, gear that we need, things of that nature... I welcome any other tid-bits that you might want to share as well! Umm, that's all I can think of for the time-being...

If some of these questions have been answered already, I apologize, I've been reading so many posts that it's becoming a blur! But a good blur at that! Hehe!

Thank you so much for any of you that reply!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,438,548 times
It's cool and sometimes rainy during March at the coast. Wear your long pants. It's not like southern california. Bring a coat and something to go over your head in case it rains.

Usually when I go to visit Eugene it's to go shop.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 PM

231 posts, read 732,451 times
We went out to the coast last year in April and it was freezin' cold. We went out to the sand dunes area where you can park and then walk up a sand hill to see the ocean, and it was really beautiful. Massive scary waves!

We were in Florence and expected to find lots of seafood restaurants, but were surprised how few there were, plus none of them really grabbed our attention. So we drove up the coast about 45 minutes to the Yachats (Yah-hots...omg, if you pronounce it ***-hots, the locals will hurt themselves laughing at you) and found some good seafood there at a place called The Landmark; we ate lunch/dinner around 4pm and the place was empty, so service was good, food was acceptable (not great), and the view was really amazing. But I should mention that this place gets trashed in lots of online reviews.

It's a long tiring drive from Eugene, so you might want to stay overnight out there somewhere and then drive back to Eugene the next morning.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 PM

Thank you both!! We are going to make a vacation out of it, so we won't be just in Eugene. We live in Wyoming, so we are taking the train to Sacramento, renting a car and driving up the California - Oregon coast until about Florence then cutting across to Eugene, staying a few days then driving back to Sacramento. So we have many stops planned but if we can fit it in we will have to check Yachats out!! Thank you for the tip on how to pronounce it - that's always embarrassing! As for seafood, the closest thing we have to a seafood restaurant here is a Red Lobster! So anything over in that area will probably be impressive to us

We are so excited!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,819,846 times
Hi there... how old are your kids? If they are elementary age, they will really love Newport, OR - on the coast. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is a great place for the kids. Here's a link: Oregon Coast Aquarium - Newport It's also a great thing for when the weather is too cold or windy for the little ones... some of the aquarium is outside, but much of it is indoors - and there's a coffee shop for the grownups, too. (...with hot chocolate for the little ones!) Right by the aquarium is the Hatfield Marine Science Center : Hatfield Marine Science Center of Oregon State University . In our experience that place is a little more fun for the older kids, like older elementary and middle school age. It's a fascinating place - my husband and I love it there! Well worth a visit!

On the coast, be sure to get a tide chart from a local business or hotel. They are free, and will tell you when the low and high tides are. The BEST time for tidepooling is low tide of couse. Seal Rock is one of our favorite places to go for tidepooling. There's tons of places to expore though along the coast - just be open for the adventure and you'll have a blast!

What to bring/how to dress? Wear layers. Even in summer the coast can often be cold and windy. Most people wear jeans, a t-shirt, a good zip-up or pullover fleece jacket (Columbia, North Face or Patagonia are brands you see a lot of), and an outer coat which has a waterproof/weatherproof shell with a hood. If your coat isn't weatherproof or water resistant, you can wear a parka over it if it gets misty or rainy. Sometimes in oregon it doesn't out-right rain on you, it just mists on you. Personally I think that's really cool! Everything looks all silvery and green. Anyway...

On our feet, we wear boots (we wear boggs boots - like these (http://www.bogsfootwear.com/_product_80081/KIDS_CLASSIC_HIGH_PURPLE_DOTS - broken link) - because they keep us and our kids feet warm and dry, and they slip on and off easily and wash easily...) and then we also bring a pair of regular shoes or sandals to change into for when we're not running around on the rocks or sands. For my family I like to make sure all our shoes slip on and off easily, simply because it helps things go faster. Now that our boys are older, though, they just bring their Bogg boots for when we're out exploring, and then their New Balance running type shoes for when we're "in-town". Bring extra socks in case you get water down your boots.

You might also want to bring gloves, hats, scarves. I know it's a coast, in the spring, but this is Oregon. You never know what the weather is going to do.

We always bring a plastic bucket for putting our treasures in (shells, agates, small pieces of driftwood, etc. - we've found beeswax a few times! ) and we also bring plastic garbage bags to store our boots in for when we change to our regular shoes. (Helps keep the car a little bit cleaner...) We always bring a change of clothes, too. Also binoculars for whale and wildlife watching, and the usual camera/extra batteries, first aid kit, etc. And maps..

It's nice to have a hot drink waiting for you in the car for when you're done messing around on the beach... so I often bring snacks, homemade cookies, and a thermos of some kind of hot drink - apple cider or hot cocoa or chai or something for the kids and one with hot coffee for the husband and I. If you bring your own empty thermos many local shops along the coast are glad to fill them for you with good warming-up stuff. From Eugene to the coast it's about an hour to an hour and a half... depending on traffic and how fast or slow you drive. It's good to have pillows, blankets, and activities for the kids, too.

You can also check out the travel oregon website to see if there's anything fun going on in Eugene or the coast while you're here. There are usually some fun things going on in the spring... flower festivals and chocolate and wine tastings and whale watching events and such. We like to go to the fish hatcheries in the spring where you can often see bald eagles and their new offspring, too. Lots of people ski in the spring... but you didn't mention heading towards the mountains so maybe I should stop my rambling now!

Have fun!!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:57 PM

I'm so glad that you replied haggardhouseelf!! My husband and I have been reading through tons of these posts on Eugene, and everytime we ran across something great...you were the author! Mr Eugenified, along with a few others, we saw frequently and they were a lot of help as well! Our kiddos are 5, 3, and 1... Our oldest is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten; they all love the aquarium that we usually go to in Denver!! But they are all really young still

We have looked online for tide charts and different sites had different times, so I'm glad to hear they will be easy to get our hands on there! We've seen pictures of Seal Rock and they were amazing! Definitely a place on our lists we want to explore! I've never been tidepooling before, but my husband has (he lived in Oregon for a little while and he went on a few trips to the coast) - so it will be a first for my girls and I!

Thanks for listing out the layers, buckets, a thermos, and such! It will make it easier to pack without forgetting or not thinking of something!! And the boots! I didn't even think of that! I wasn't sure what we were going to do, my husband and I have waterproof shoes but the girls don't (other than snow boots - and sandals weren't going to work either!) My girls have some rain boots that they got a while back that were too big then but I bet they would work now - that is, if I can find them... That really excites me too! In Wyoming there isn't too much opportunity to wear rain gear.

The Travel Oregon website you gave was a new one I haven't seen yet, they have an art walk in Coos Bay and a geocaching challenge going on while we will be there! Thank you for the link! Where are the fish hatcheries? That sounds like a lot of fun - the girls love the one here, but I'm sure ours doesn't even compare to yours!

So, we love to camp and we were on the state parks website and those campsites were absolutely AMAZING! We saw that you can reserve sites, is it really competitive? I can't imagine it's not, but it seems fair compared to the way people do it here. They will go and park their campers in the best spots for days on end and there isn't any regulations that say that they can't as long as they aren't there for over 10 days...

Feel free to ramble! I'm interested on anything and everything!!! Besides, then I don't feel to bad when I do it too!

Thanks again!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:31 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,819,846 times
Hi again! You're so sweet. Yes, Mr. Eugenified is a good source of info - especially when it comes to good eats in Eugene! He knows his stuff.

Here - I'll share my online photo albums, where I have lots of pictures we've taken in Eugene and along the coast. I have tons more photos so if you'd like to see pictures of something specific let me know and I'll see what I can do. My husband also just gave me a sweet new dslr camera for my birthday so I've been on a picture-taking frenzy of late... I love taking pictures and as I'm learning how to use my new toy I'd love to help. Anyway - here's the link: Picasa Web Albums - bloggity

And here are some pictures:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jk8NcdqfwN8/SekxsfnJi1I/AAAAAAAAAOg/I3VRDg2NmDo/s640/neahkanie6.JPG (broken link)

This is Neahkanie beach. One of the things I love about Oregon's beaches is that you're often all alone for mile-long stretches of it. Especially if you go during the middle of the week during the school-year while everyone else is at work or in school.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jk8NcdqfwN8/Scw3SDKLMhI/AAAAAAAAAEY/4ViUNQo91dg/s512/yaquinabaybridge4.jpg (broken link)

This is the Yaquina Bay Bridge. It is one which was designed by Conde McCullough, a famous Oregon bridge designer. Here's a link that tells more about him and his hwy 101 (Oregon Coast Highway) bridges: Oregon Coast Bridges

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jk8NcdqfwN8/ScxAXcExTHI/AAAAAAAAAIc/piWnG1FNTgs/s512/yellowsignbetrue.JPG (broken link)

While you're in Eugene - watch out for what I call these Happy Yellow Signs. To me, they are one of the awesome "Eugene things" that we really missed when we moved away from Eugene for one very long, sad, year. We were so happy to come back to Eugene and see that the mysterious people who do these are still up to their good. (I happen to know who they are now, by some secret sleuthing... but I'll never tell!)

OK - to answer a few questions:

fish hatcheries: ODFW Hatchery Management

And it's super easy using Reserve America to reserve campsites ahead of time. We do this quite often, as we prefer staying in yurts as opposed to tent or RV camping. There are also cabins, and even teepee's and wagons you can rent at some parks. I highly recommend the yurts, especially with kids. A few coastal campsites have deluxe yurts which have hot showers and toilets and a small kitchen inside the yurt, but most campsites along the coast offer the plain rustic yurts. The yurts are great because they have a door which locks, a heater, bunk beds, a futon, tables and chairs, etc. plus the outdoor fire pit for the campfire and a picnic table. Each site has a driveway you park your car at, so unloading is quick and easy. But if you want to tent camp, there are great spots for that, too.

I think our favorite top two sites currently are the Washburne yurt D-2 ; and the Cape Blanco cabin site A33 (also called the Osprey). The D-2 yurt at Washburne was tons of fun for our kids because it's situated right next to a big hill that's very woodsy, so even when we were resting back at the yurt, the kids were running around in "the woods" but they were still close enough to us to be safe and within sight. The Osprey cabin at Cape Blanco has a really nice view, and is really close to the walking trail that will take you down to the beach. You can also drive down to this beach - which is something they don't allow you to do on much of the coast.

You can reserve sites up to nine months in advance. In summer it's very hard to find an available space, but during the off-season (during the school year) you can often find a space without reserving ahead. It's always best to reserve ahead though. Each time we've been to a state park, there have been hosts and park rangers on-site who seem very attentive to all the goings-on. Lots of times they are retired couples who live out of their RV's and go from park to park as a seasonal thing... they have always been really friendly and lots of help, so be sure to introduce yourselves when you arrive.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:07 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,483,741 times
PLEASE BE SAFE!!!!!!

Watch your kids and the waves at ALL times!
Don't turn your back on the ocean.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Those pictures are absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing!! Definitely will keep my eyes peeled for those happy yellow signs - so cheery! We might just have to stop at a fish hatchery if we have time, there's a couple not too out of the way... I looked into reserving camp sites - not too many available, so you probably should know when you want to go right when the nine months rolls around to get your top picks huh? I've never been in a yurt - something definitely to check out!

And thank you for the heads up and the concern pdxMIKEpdx! We will be extra careful I promise! They are so young, we won't be turning our heads on them nor the ocean!

Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM

230 posts, read 566,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKBrown5 View Post
I'm so glad that you replied haggardhouseelf!! My husband and I have been reading through tons of these posts on Eugene, and everytime we ran across something great...you were the author! Mr Eugenified, along with a few others, we saw frequently and they were a lot of help as well! Our kiddos are 5, 3, and 1... Our oldest is 5 1/2 and is in kindergarten; they all love the aquarium that we usually go to in Denver!! But they are all really young still

We have looked online for tide charts and different sites had different times, so I'm glad to hear they will be easy to get our hands on there! We've seen pictures of Seal Rock and they were amazing! Definitely a place on our lists we want to explore! I've never been tidepooling before, but my husband has (he lived in Oregon for a little while and he went on a few trips to the coast) - so it will be a first for my girls and I!

Thanks for listing out the layers, buckets, a thermos, and such! It will make it easier to pack without forgetting or not thinking of something!! And the boots! I didn't even think of that! I wasn't sure what we were going to do, my husband and I have waterproof shoes but the girls don't (other than snow boots - and sandals weren't going to work either!) My girls have some rain boots that they got a while back that were too big then but I bet they would work now - that is, if I can find them... That really excites me too! In Wyoming there isn't too much opportunity to wear rain gear.

The Travel Oregon website you gave was a new one I haven't seen yet, they have an art walk in Coos Bay and a geocaching challenge going on while we will be there! Thank you for the link! Where are the fish hatcheries? That sounds like a lot of fun - the girls love the one here, but I'm sure ours doesn't even compare to yours!

So, we love to camp and we were on the state parks website and those campsites were absolutely AMAZING! We saw that you can reserve sites, is it really competitive? I can't imagine it's not, but it seems fair compared to the way people do it here. They will go and park their campers in the best spots for days on end and there isn't any regulations that say that they can't as long as they aren't there for over 10 days...

Feel free to ramble! I'm interested on anything and everything!!! Besides, then I don't feel to bad when I do it too!

Thanks again!!!
I just have to second you on this comment about haggardhouself! I keep finding myself unable to give post rep because I seem to keep giving it to her over and over! Love the posts! Your posts are great as well, very positive and open-minded. Hope you have a wonderful visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area