U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:22 PM

836 posts, read 1,344,243 times

Advertisements

Great recommendations, Elf, thank you! Hey, while we're on the subject, what's Pleasant Hill like?

I wouldn't mind living in a smaller community, just would have to sell my BF on it (city boy). Anyway, I'll do some checking and see what the rental situation is in those towns. Pretty sure I've seen houses listed in Coburg on Craigslist, but ignored them, because I didn't realize it was so close in.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your continued help! You guys rock.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 AM

10 posts, read 24,211 times
Firstly it come your budget that what price you can afford,then it comes your choice where you want to live (near by areas) & it should not far from your workplace or marketplace.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM

What is the deal with all the month-to-month rentals in Eugene? We'd prefer to sign a lease but all the places I've inquired about (mostly private parties) say they're month-to-month. Is this an evil scheme by an insidious landlord conglomerate, or simply local custom? Perhaps it depends on the landlord.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:57 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,797,400 times
I think a lot of renters prefer month-to-month because many of them are only renting long enough to find a home to buy, or they are students. If it's landlords you're having this trouble with, they might only want to lease out their property long enough to sell it or long enough to get back on their feet financially until they find another job/get out of debt/build back up their savings/etc. I've heard of a lot of people who've lost their jobs and then couldn't afford their mortgage, so they moved out, rented a smaller apt, and rented out their homes while they looked for work. I've also known landlords who have had such bad experiences renting (this is a college town and binge-drinking and partying among the students is a problem) that they start out saying they only do month to month so that they can figure out if they like the tenants first, then once they like you they will offer you the option to sign a longer lease.

Oh... and I don't know anything about Pleasant Hill... It's not too bad a drive though.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Well, I don't mind a little flexibility, but my worry was that month-to-month would allow for frequent rent increases, or like you said, that they are planning to sell the property. Basically, would prefer to be planted somewhere for a while...

Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 PM

54 posts, read 394,000 times
Default renting

Hi
Pleasant Hill from the friends I have living out there love it and feel a strong sense of community. The drive to Eugene from PH has a bad history of accidents. I think at one time they called it the "blood highway" or something like that. Maybe, it is not the case anymore (hopefully).
Apartments and property management are each so different in Eugene. The trend of more month to month rents is fairly new to Eugene. I think more boomers and retirees have moved in the area and want what other posters have mentioned a place to stay until escrow is done on a home purchase. There is probably some money being made in a higher turnover in residents (not sure). I would rather have month to month if I were to rent because you never know what your neighbors are like until a Friday night rolls around.
Jennings, I have heard will hold your application/fee and income information for a year even if you decide against renting. In addition, to be rather quick on the credit check. My friend who moved here from Florida said that she was just shopping for a rental and Jennings just ran all the paper work so fast and then when she wanted her detailed income statements back they wouldn't give it back to her. Which I thought was odd.
My best advice is to take your time and research the rental situation, neighborhoods, and property managers in Eugene. Lastly, negotiate your rent you will be surprised at the offers especially in a few weeks (end of UofO school yr)

Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 PM

72 posts, read 131,490 times
Personally, I'd stay away from the west side and the Danebo/Bethel area due to pollution, crime and what I can only think to describe as a "low-end user ambiance." Translates to something like a lot of Wal-Marty types, motorheads and general riff-raff. This may sound harsh but it's from experience, and the rents reflect that. My apologies to anyone who takes offense.

South and east Eugene, or College Hill and Amazon Park areas are more desirable, with more civilized denizens - unless you get too close to the Univ of Oregon campus, then it's pot luck (with the emphasis on "pot") and more crime/noise. I have some hippy friends that couldn't handle the Whitaker area's ersatz-hippy/disaffected-youth culture. Kept having their stuff stolen off their property - but again, others I know laud it's laid-back, organic qualities. Not to mention its proximity to downtown.

If you want good proximity to downtown, and if money is no object, the area around Laurelwood Golf Course or Hendricks Park has interesting architecture full of funky hipsters that you would expect in a town like Eugene. There are exceptions to every rule of course. Extending from that area is South Hills, which is a big area with older and newer homes/neighborhoods. You can find funky older neighborhoods with winding streets carved in what is a seeming forest, very brambly and viney; and you can also find austere new McMansionettes with spare landscaping. In these areas, you will pay premium prices.

Outlying areas with some promise include the aforementioned Pleasant Hill and Dexter, even further out Highway 58 - both those places put you closer to the mountains. Lot of farmettes, some old hippy enclaves (Kesey and Babbs!). Also, the Cottage Grove area has a counterculture element to it, mostly in the outskirts, although NRA membership is probably higher there than other areas of Eugene proper. Another nice outlying area is out south along Lorane Highway and/or in the Crow area, although similar in nature to Cottage Grove.

West of Eugene, Veneta has a kind of a skanky reservoir nearby and doesn't do much for me but has decent access to Eugene and cheaper rents. But heavy weekend traffic heading to the coast along Hwy 126 would be a deal-killer for me.

North, avoid Coburg Road like the plague, unless you drive a Buick and like strip-malls and soul-less subdivisions, although there pockets of ok-ness, I guess. Trouble is, you're surrounded by the Beltline, Coburg Road and the Valley River Center area, and just the names of those alone should clue you in. Also, areas near the Beltline experience localized air pollution in the summer due to our general weather patterns of inversions that trap the auto fumes from endless Beltline traffic, and also from the nearby heavily industrialized Trainsong area when the prevailing winds blow.

Springfield is a whole 'nother bag - never lived there, not a lot that looks appealing in town, maybe out toward Jasper Road way perhaps, or Marcola Road maybe.

My personal choice is again, around Laurelwood Golf Course or Hendricks Park area. You're kind of above the fray in those places with better chances of desirable (as in quiet) neighbors. Older, unique homes on a hillside, lots of foliage, narrow streets, nice park.

Last edited by lymelyte; 04-30-2010 at 12:08 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,825 times
Thanks for the advice on staying out of the NW and Western Eugene area for renting.

Eug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area