U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 PM

21,697 posts, read 25,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
However, I suspect there has to be more reasons that people can't get jobs other than background
Yes there is. Oregon has a high unemployment rate so there is fierce competition especially for low level jobs like fast food or delivering newspapers. There is no mystery; just too many people and too few jobs available. "Abundant" jobs? Well maybe but I wouldn't move there just on the strength of that statement. Check out more sources like Craig's List or The Oregonian online.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,218,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_iowa_hippie View Post
Hey backdrifter!

By service industry do you mean hotels and such? I really don't care what kind of job it is. I'd like to deliver papers. Easy, independent, and it pays decent. By trade I'm a computer programmer though. I have called a couple temp agencies in Eugene, and one of them has abundant jobs according to the lady. She said that a lot of people are disqualified because of felonies! She says that happens more often in Eugene that I'd suspect it does here in Iowa. I hear the same thing about obtaining housing. If it's a background check issue, I'll be golden. However, I suspect there has to be more reasons that people can't get jobs other than background. Do you know anything about snowboarding?? If so, can you plz plz respond to my other thread Thanks man!
By service industry I mean hotels, motels, restaurants, cashiering, any sort of customer service, retail, etc. There may be abundant temporary jobs, but that really isn't indicative of more long-term jobs...

It is really just what Minervah said...

As for the snowboarding, I did read your other post a while ago and I have no idea. Snow and I don't mix well at all...

Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM

4,996 posts, read 7,709,527 times
Eugene is not a racist place, more or less, except for high school basketball tournaments :>(
However, OR has a serious unemployment problem. That's why I left (technically Vancouver, WA, which might as well be OR). Moved up to Seattle and had a lot more chances to get a job. Maybe you should look at WA instead.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:24 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,615,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Eugene is not racist. Now drive 20 miles east (towards Bend) , then thats a different story...
I grew up in the Bay Area (I am an african american), and it certainly isn't as diverse as the Bay Area, but it is not racist.
thankyou for making that distinction-it's amazing how many threads in C-D forums seem to equate lack of diversity with racism. Poor train of thought on those occasions...ie,just b/c an area is,for example,mostly white,does not mean it's racist. they are two very different things,in most cases.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-21-2010 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-23-2010, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 30,850 times
I haven't encountered any instances of racism, either in attitudes or behaviour or anything else, since I've been here. I think there is less ethnic diversity in Eugene than some other US cities I've visited, but as people have said that does not equate with racism. I don't see why you would encounter any problems.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,312,422 times
I have lived in the Eugene/Springfield area for oh, 20 years, and it is NOT racist.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:13 PM

235 posts, read 374,291 times
This link shows hate crimes in Oregon and Washington. If you scroll down a bit you will see entries for Eugene. In 2008 an older black man was severally beaten in what the police determined was a hate crime.

In the downtown area one of the shop owners on Broadway has been terrorized because of her race. She has spoken out about it many times.

Recently there was a young Jewish man that was beaten close to U of O. If you search jewish on the registerguard site the story will come up.

Coalition Against Hate Crimes - Portland Oregon

Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM

640 posts, read 1,483,847 times
HI I grew up in Eugene and loved it. However: having lived in the SF bay area for the last 15 years I would sum it up this way; The good folks of Eugene aren't intentionally racist and want to embrace all peoples as equal and celebrate all walks of life, but some of the things they say will sound racist only because they don't know any better. And not only that but they will use the "we don't know any better" as an excuse for what they said. "we don't know any better" is an ignorant statement. Please don't be offended if people are less than PC, they have good intentions. I never knew until I moved to the Bay Area how many racist things I've said because I didn't "know any better". Now I know better.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:23 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
That is a great resource. Thank you for sharing that.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:42 PM

17,031 posts, read 28,342,647 times
I'm closing this as I think its point was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area