U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 08:23 PM

19 posts, read 82,151 times

Advertisements

I am af. american from Iowa. I will be moving to Eugene to go to Lane in April. Recently I read a comment about Oregon being an extremely racist place, and I was shocked out of my mind! I thought Oregon was very progressive. At least that's the opinion that I'm sure a majority of midwesterners share about Oregon. I'm just a barefoot hippie who keeps to himself, and is looking to further his education. In your opinion, is there going to be a lot of racism? Thanks!
Rate this post positively

Old 02-16-2010, 09:27 PM

351 posts, read 1,175,906 times
You will fit in just fine

I'm just a barefoot hippie who keeps to himself, and is looking to further his education.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:19 PM

504 posts, read 1,328,962 times
Eugene is NOT a racist town. Neither is Portland, Corvallis, Ashland & many other liberal Oregon towns. Please don't let that misinfomation ruin your plans to further your education at a great school.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 PM

231 posts, read 731,944 times
5% of the Eugene population are low-IQ idiots (usually with big round heads, thick necks, and some sort of goatee/beard...see the City section of the Register Guard newspaper for their pictures in the crime blurbs. Honestly, these idiot criminals all look so similar to each other, we should just arrest them in advance according to their appearance...hey, there's an idea for a Tom Cruise movie! Gee, this is a long parentheses comment. Now back to our regular sentence...) and, yes, they are racists too. Avoid them, and hang around with the other 95% of the population. You will love living in Eugene.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,190,744 times
Is Eugene really a racist place?

No no no! Where ever did you get that idea? No "place" on the West Coast is racist...

Old 02-17-2010, 02:13 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,799,960 times
I've never heard anyone refer to Eugene as being a racist place. It's a very tolerant and friendly town, to all kinds of people at all ends of the spectrum and in-between, too.

And if you're Black AND play football you'll be treated like a God, seriously. The UO athletes can do absolutely no wrong here - even when they seriously do. I mean, it seems like half the team have criminal histories (and they keep adding to them by doing things like shooting ducks at the city parks, stealing laptop computers, and getting into fights and beating up women and each other...) and yet they just had the "taj mahal" of buildings built especially for them (The Jaqua Center... which has a really weird name... because an athlete named Jaqua was charged with raping a UO student in a cemetery here... unfortunate choice for a name, really...) ... not to mention the new Matt Court... and the Duck fans here go postal for them, praising them like heroes or something. Five year olds want to BE these guys, and the Eugenite parents encourage it dutifully (not us, but others...). And all the while the university laughs to the bank... exploiting these hyped-up oafs as entertainment goons, taking the communities hard-earned money, and setting really bad examples for our communities kids... and keeping the system going... yadda yadda... But, anyway, that's another thread.

Anyway - it's a cool town. Even despite the rampant Duckinitis epidemic. It is possible to ignore it. We usually do... (today there was yet another Duck gone wrong story... two actually... so it's just fresh on my mind...)...

Old 02-18-2010, 01:59 AM

Thanks to everyone who has replied! Maybe I was getting worked up over nothing! But I reposted this (it was deleted yesterday) in the "General Oregon" forum, and one person posted something about discrimination in jobs being bad up there. I'll be in school, however, I'll still need to work. Does anyone who lives in (or has lived in or is familiar with) Eugene see me running into big problems as far as getting a job goes? Thanks again!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 AM

588 posts, read 1,171,106 times
Eugene is not racist. Now drive 20 miles east (towards Bend) , then thats a different story...
I grew up in the Bay Area (I am an african american), and it certainly isn't as diverse as the Bay Area, but it is not racist.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,190,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot_iowa_hippie View Post
Thanks to everyone who has replied! Maybe I was getting worked up over nothing! But I reposted this (it was deleted yesterday) in the "General Oregon" forum, and one person posted something about discrimination in jobs being bad up there. I'll be in school, however, I'll still need to work. Does anyone who lives in (or has lived in or is familiar with) Eugene see me running into big problems as far as getting a job goes? Thanks again!
Yes, getting a job will be tough. Eugene has a pretty high unemployment rate, and you will have to potentially compete with all the other (25,000) college students in the area for any job you'd want. What kind of job do you think you'd be looking for? If it's anything in the service industry then the competition would definitely be fierce.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Yes, getting a job will be tough. Eugene has a pretty high unemployment rate, and you will have to potentially compete with all the other (25,000) college students in the area for any job you'd want. What kind of job do you think you'd be looking for? If it's anything in the service industry then the competition would definitely be fierce.
Hey backdrifter!

By service industry do you mean hotels and such? I really don't care what kind of job it is. I'd like to deliver papers. Easy, independent, and it pays decent. By trade I'm a computer programmer though. I have called a couple temp agencies in Eugene, and one of them has abundant jobs according to the lady. She said that a lot of people are disqualified because of felonies! She says that happens more often in Eugene that I'd suspect it does here in Iowa. I hear the same thing about obtaining housing. If it's a background check issue, I'll be golden. However, I suspect there has to be more reasons that people can't get jobs other than background. Do you know anything about snowboarding?? If so, can you plz plz respond to my other thread Thanks man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area