U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:39 PM

231 posts, read 733,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbjb View Post
I lived in Eugene for years. Pretty town but not a good place to raise children.
College town filled with drugs. Yes I know they are everywhere, but the town next to eugene name Medford is now called methford. Lots of illegals everywhere, and meth readily available. Before you move google
the eugene police depart, incarcerted and you will find most are in for drugs, and rape. Good luck.
First of all, Medford is 168 miles from Eugene. It is a 2 hour and 40 minute drive on the interstate.

The "meth argument" has been done to death in this forum. Of course, meth addiction is a nationwide problem, but I think it is misguided and misleading to other readers to pick one particular state or city in isolation and say it's a "meth city" or "meth state". IF you do insist on making those assertions, then you should back it up with government statistics showing a comparison of the issue in each of 50 states (such as the chart link I offer as an example below). I think this would lead to a more reasonable and useful comparative discussion based on facts.

Here's an encouraging chart...Meth Lab Seizures by State shows Oregon at a very low 21:
DEA, Maps of Methamphetamine Lab Incidents (http://www.justice.gov/dea/concern/map_lab_seizures.html - broken link)

This is actually one of the only charts that I could find for the 50 states with 2008 or newer data. Unfortunately, the majority of the data on the internet only covers up to 2004, before Oregon enacted strict laws restricting the purchase of cold medicines (which are used as raw materials to produce meth). From what I understand, this has resulted in a big drop in meth use in Oregon in spite of the increase in Mexican-produced meth.

Historically, meth gained popularity first on the west coast and then spread across the USA. So older data from the 90's and early 2000's will show a big problem with meth in the west coast states, But as of 2010, it seems that the midwest states such as Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri are the hardest hit now.

Public Service Joke: Remember, kids, a refrigerator is the opposite of a meth addict because a refrigerator starts out in a cardboard box and moves into a house. (Demetri Martin)

Last edited by Mr Eugenified; 04-17-2010 at 10:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,850,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbjb View Post
I lived in Eugene for years. Pretty town but not a good place to raise children.
College town filled with drugs. Yes I know they are everywhere, but the town next to eugene name Medford is now called methford. Lots of illegals everywhere, and meth readily available. Before you move google
the eugene police depart, incarcerted and you will find most are in for drugs, and rape. Good luck.
Medford is not next to or even very near to Eugene... Oh wait... I see Mr. E already explained this.

I'm so bored with people crying meth all the time. If you don't do drugs, and you don't hang out with people who do drugs, then chances are you won't be bothered by drugs (regardless of where you live) unless you make yourself an easy target. And by that I mean locking your stuff up and not making it easy for druggies to steal from you. And not leaving valuables out for the world to see. Because that's about the worst thing that will happen to you if you live in a place like Eugene. If you make it easy for criminals to steal from you then there is a big risk of that happening. As long as you're smart and you protect your stuff and you don't hang out with creepy druggy types you should be fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area