U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My wife and I are considering moving to Oregon from Delaware. She has visited Eugene before (several years ago) and she fell in love with Alton Park. I have done a little research and I would like to move closer to Dallas. We are both 29, and have two small children, 5 and 3. The area we currently live in is getting rather congested and this is one of my main reasons for wanting to leave. We love the outdoors and this is a large part for wanting to come to Oregon. We also would like to live close (about a 15 minute drive) to a good hospital for her work. Can anyone provide a good reasoning for one of us to change our minds Thanks for any help we may get!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 11:36 PM

9,328 posts, read 9,043,303 times
The economy sucks but the state is beautiful. Make sure you have jobs lined up BEFORE you arrive.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM

233 posts, read 372,821 times
I moved here from Maryland. I have met other people who have moved here from DELMARVA and they have all said the same thing. It is beautiful here but the people are very standoffish. When you visit everyone seems friendly but when you actually live here you find that people keep to themselves. It is very difficult to become more than acquaintances. It has been the most challenging part of moving here and there really wasn't anyway to see that it would be that way before I moved. My friend that moved here from the DC area is moving back to the East Coast and she said she'll miss the trees and such but can't deal with the feelings of isolation. And for the naysayers, we have all gotten out and met people, had people to our homes, joined organizations, served on boards, etc, etc, etc. Back East I had several neighbors I could have coffee/tea with in their homes/decks most mornings if we were both home. It didn't need to be scheduled weeks in advance and it wasn't a big deal. We wanted to share our lives with each other; no ulterior motive.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
I moved here from Maryland. I have met other people who have moved here from DELMARVA and they have all said the same thing. It is beautiful here but the people are very standoffish. When you visit everyone seems friendly but when you actually live here you find that people keep to themselves. It is very difficult to become more than acquaintances. It has been the most challenging part of moving here and there really wasn't anyway to see that it would be that way before I moved. My friend that moved here from the DC area is moving back to the East Coast and she said she'll miss the trees and such but can't deal with the feelings of isolation. And for the naysayers, we have all gotten out and met people, had people to our homes, joined organizations, served on boards, etc, etc, etc. Back East I had several neighbors I could have coffee/tea with in their homes/decks most mornings if we were both home. It didn't need to be scheduled weeks in advance and it wasn't a big deal. We wanted to share our lives with each other; no ulterior motive.
This is very interesting. I was born and raised in Los Angeles and lived in Southern California for 25 years until I tried my hand at a job opportunity based out of Richmond, Va., that required extensive travel around the east coast. I immediately found a dislike for the east coast, as I found people to be very rude and stand offish, kinda like what you said you experienced in Oregon.

That lasted less than a year, and I returned to Cali. Five years ago my wife and I moved to Oregon and we cannot be happier here, outside of the poor economy. I just never felt at home on the east coast. It seemed very awkward. I think it is all about where you are born and raised. It all goes back to the 'ol east coast/west coast argument.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:27 AM

233 posts, read 372,821 times
Perhaps, ditchlights which is why I was chiming in on this post, since the original poster is moving from Delaware which borders Maryland. Believe me I want to be happy here and have as many wonderful close friends as I did back East. It cost an enormous amount of money to relocate three thousand miles plus my daughter is settled in school here. I've always been someone who has deep meaningful friendships, not just shopping buddies or gym buddies. I don't know anyone who has that here. I have friends back east that I could call in the middle of the night if I needed to and they would be there and vice versa. I remember when I had lived here about six months and I told someone that, they were like "wow" I don't know anybody here that would even answer their phone here in the middle of the night let alone go and help someone. And this person is the most connected to her neighbors then anyone that I know here. She's lived in the same neighborhood for twenty-five years. They have potlucks and such but it isn't intimate, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soarswitheagles View Post
Perhaps, ditchlights which is why I was chiming in on this post, since the original poster is moving from Delaware which borders Maryland. Believe me I want to be happy here and have as many wonderful close friends as I did back East. It cost an enormous amount of money to relocate three thousand miles plus my daughter is settled in school here. I've always been someone who has deep meaningful friendships, not just shopping buddies or gym buddies. I don't know anyone who has that here. I have friends back east that I could call in the middle of the night if I needed to and they would be there and vice versa. I remember when I had lived here about six months and I told someone that, they were like "wow" I don't know anybody here that would even answer their phone here in the middle of the night let alone go and help someone. And this person is the most connected to her neighbors then anyone that I know here. She's lived in the same neighborhood for twenty-five years. They have potlucks and such but it isn't intimate, if you know what I mean.
Every area is what it is. There will always be a stronger connection to where you originated from than where you end up, whether one likes it or not. You just have to weigh the differences, and make the best possible choice to fit your own domestic situation. I think we're fairly friendly here in the northwest. Give it more time.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 11,073 times
I have lived in eugene my entire life (28 years I think that wherever you live there will be people who are kind and accepting of new people and people who are rude and standoffish. If you want to make friends you have to get out there and get involved and make yourself available.

The eugene/springfield area has three hospitals. We have a brand new hospital called Riverbend in springfield, but close enough for a person to live in eugene. Eugene is small enough that even in "rush hour" everything is still max 30 minutes away, although 15 minutes anywhere is more like it.

This is a great place to raise a family, there are tons of outdoor activites (hiking, biking, swimming) plus the coast and mountains for skiing are both just a few hours away. Growing up we had a small motor boat and spent the weekends water skiiing at all the area lakes.

If you are looking to rent for a bit before buying i would recommend forrent.com and apartmentratings.com. You can get a good idea on prices and real peoples reviews. Stay away from campus, hwy 99 and most places between 1street-8street and you should be fine.

Best of luck, and keep asking questions until you find out the answers you need. Eugene is a great place and most people that move here stay here.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,837,754 times
We've moved around quite a bit from state to state for my husbands job, and we have experienced various social phenomena such as the "Seattle Freeze" in many places. What we've found is that no matter where you live there will be people open to forming new friendships, and others who are not. We've learned just to get involved in groups doing things that interest us, and naturally you meet others who share the same interests as you. Sometimes it takes awhile to break the ice or get past that "just acquaintances" hump, but it does eventually work. Volunteering and taking classes at the local community colleges seem to be the quickest way to make new friends, we have found.

Regardless of where you move to, there will be others such as yourself who are also new to the area, or who once relocated to that place from somewhere else. It's not as if any of our families are truly native to the areas where we live here in the states - unless you're Native American.

Anyway - as far as changing your minds, or one place versus the other (Dallas vs. Eugene)... I'd suggest just writing your priorities down, then researching each city and seeing which one matches up best. Check population size, public schools (if you will be sending your kids to public schools), proximity to mountains or beaches or whatever recreational type place you favor, access to whatever shopping you prefer, etc. For example, we could never live in a town which didn't have access to locally-grown organic foods. We like to visit the farms where our food comes from and in summers do as much PYO as we possibly can. We also prefer to live in a place with mild winters, and we prefer mild'ish summer weather as well. We have to have a decent public library and lots of independent book stores and good independent movie theaters and also live music and lots of local art and we like a lively, eclectic, and progressive local culture. We love Eugene, for us it's the perfect-sized town and has everything we need and is in the perfect location - but it's not for everybody. You just have to take a really good and honest look at what you really can't live without, make your list of priorities, and go from there.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,837,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raeaela View Post
...Eugene is a great place and most people that move here stay here.
And some people move here, and then move away, and then move back! I've heard it called the rubberband town because if this.

We did this - after living here for three years and really loving it, we moved north to the Seattle/Eastside area (job offer we thought we couldn't refuse). We thought since it was still in the PNW that we'd love it just the same. We were back in Eugene within one year. There's no place like home.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
Thumbs down Meth City

I lived in Eugene for years. Pretty town but not a good place to raise children.
College town filled with drugs. Yes I know they are everywhere, but the town next to eugene name Medford is now called methford. Lots of illegals everywhere, and meth readily available. Before you move google
the eugene police depart, incarcerted and you will find most are in for drugs, and rape. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area