U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 10:38 PM

10 posts, read 13,994 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am 27 y/o lady and i would like to ask in which areas in Eugene i can take a walk at night.

thank in advance.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM

233 posts, read 370,901 times
I would look at the crime statistics to get a better idea but I've been told by the Eugene Police Department to not be out in Alton Baker Park and most of West Eugene at night, especially at night. We have a community garden plot not far from Skinners Butte and were told that it is not safe after dark. There are also parts of downtown that are sketchy and a part of South Eugene around Willamette Street that have seen a crime spree.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:26 AM

2,317 posts, read 7,188,991 times
I would only stay away from downtown at night. There really isn't anywhere else that's terribly unsafe. I mean, it's Eugene. As for particularly nice areas to take a walk? That is a different question altogether.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 AM

857 posts, read 1,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TALYA View Post
Hi,

I am 27 y/o lady and i would like to ask in which areas in Eugene i can take a walk at night.

thank in advance.
If you're thinking of moving to Eugene and Western Oregon, be sure to check out the safeR communities of Corvallis, Ashland, and Bend. Based on what I saw, I would not advise my sister to go to grad school in Eugene.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:25 AM

6,061 posts, read 13,796,272 times
Personally I'm a big believer in the buddy system regardless of where you live, but that's just me.

We just recently started geocaching in Eugene and have discovered many other geocachers who love to hunt for caches - at night! Some do it alone, even. Such adventurous souls, they are. There are several caches hidden in local cemeteries - and they even do those at night as well. And... get ready for a shocker... some even venture into Springfield at night! *gasp* I know... I know... the horror... For those of you who don't already live here - A lot of Eugene people are scared of Springfield, even during the day. Eugene people sometimes refer to Springfield as "Springtucky".

Also... Talya you should maybe know that CCCVDUR is adamantly anti-Eugene for some reason. He's only visited the town twice and doesn't really seem to know much about the place, actually, though he thinks he does and will try to convince you otherwise. You'll see him talking trash about Eugene all over the Eugene boards. Take his words with a grain of salt. You're better off listening to those that actually live here.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:35 AM

857 posts, read 1,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

Also... Talya you should maybe know that CCCVDUR is adamantly anti-Eugene for some reason. He's only visited the town twice and doesn't really seem to know much about the place, actually, though he thinks he does and will try to convince you otherwise. You'll see him talking trash about Eugene all over the Eugene boards. Take his words with a grain of salt. You're better off listening to those that actually live here.
Elf,

I am not ANTI-anything, or ANTI-anyone. Period. Eugene is not of interest to me. There are many other places that I'd rather live in the US, and searching my archives reveals positive and negative places about a variety of places.

To accuse me of "talking trash" etc.about Eugene is certainly very unkind, and also untrue. If that's how you folks treat each other in Eugene, that's unfortunately another reason I can add to my already very long list.

And why you even care whether or not your City is criticized I have no idea. Who cares? Just let people say whatever they want to say, as long as there are no personal attacks.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,188,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Elf,

I am not ANTI-anything, or ANTI-anyone. Period. Eugene is not of interest to me. There are many other places that I'd rather live in the US, and searching my archives reveals positive and negative places about a variety of places.

To accuse me of "talking trash" etc.about Eugene is certainly very unkind, and also untrue. If that's how you folks treat each other in Eugene, that's unfortunately another reason I can add to my already very long list.

And why you even care whether or not your City is criticized I have no idea. Who cares? Just let people say whatever they want to say, as long as there are no personal attacks.
If you are uninterested in Eugene, then why keep posting on the Eugene board?

Old 03-20-2010, 04:36 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,591,768 times
Quote:
If you're thinking of moving to Eugene and Western Oregon, be sure to check out the safeR communities of Corvallis, Ashland, and Bend. Based on what I saw, I would not advise my sister to go to grad school in Eugene.
I absolutely agree; and I would not walk anywhere in eugene at night---yet, i walk in san diego alone in several neighborhoods...the problem is: for eugene, it's either unsafe outright, or it's heavily wooded park/neighborhoods-and in the dark, those would not be great.
I might walk in the south hills in eugene, in certain areas, though.
I have said this before, and I will reiterate: For a city of it's size, Eugene has a disporportionately high crime rate. AND, while much of it is related to drugs including meth, that is precisely the problem: It is desparation crime, which often is very unpredictable. I was astounded, frankly, at the sights in Eugene when I lived there---I high tailed it back to CA, where believe it or not, I feel no less safe. And I have lived in Boulder, Missoula, and other desireable college towns.
Corvallis is a FAR better choice than Eugene, for a true bucolic, college town vibe. Eugene is a former college 'town' turned meth city. Sorry; like I said, I was astounded.

I am not saying Eugene has no redeeming qualities [though when you consider the river trails and the homeless issue/safety with using them, even during the daytime in certain areas, and when you consider the agri. burning affecting air quality in the valley during summer especially, and factor in other issues----well, it's looking slimmer], but there are better choices, and places that have not deteriorated, but rather have grown and matured into their small city status in ways that Eugene, unfortunately, has not.

If you currently live in Eugene, and perhaps have for decades, and LOVE it, great. But for people wanting to move there today, 2010, in it's current state, I don't recommend it-unless your circumstances are ideally suited for it.

I wouldn't go to school there [look at corvallis instead], and I certainly would not move there to raise a family [in fact i'd go bigger and pick portland over eugene, as well as corvallis instead.] In fact, when I was moving to eugene, i met someone from redding, while stopping at mt shasta, and as our kids played, she commented that she'd lived in corvallis, and loved it, and though pdx was great, and eugene, well, she was decidely reserved and not impressed. Though she did not say too much-as I was actually moving there excitedly.

Anyway, Eugene is in many ways still living off of it's image/memories of it's hey day...it ain't that anymore, folks.

And it's perfectly reasonable, btw, for people to post their negative experiences of Eugene. That is the point of this forum-to give feedback from all ends of the spectrum.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
If you are uninterested in Eugene, then why keep posting on the Eugene board?
Give it a rest; this person has a right to post her/his opinions of Eugene.
People are gathering info about a place to live-hopefully, cd forum is only ONE place from which they gain their facts and observations. In any case, it's not the chamber of commerce website here; it's a forum expressly for discussing various experiences about differnt towns and cities.

In fact, anyone who really knows that Eugene is not paradise-should really look at it's chamber of commerce. I know all chambers exagerrate, but geesh-this one is an outright lie. LOL. What a joke....

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree. Definitely. Corvallis in particular is enjoying it's rennaissance time, IMO. I have had different sets of friends on corvallis for hte last 15 years...making it their home for various reasons, and have visited several times myself in staying with them. I can say: Corvallis walks it's talk.

After living in Eugene, I can say: Eugene is NOT what it once was. Eugene has serious crime issues and vagrance issues. Eugene has a fantastic farmer's market and great food stores (a high proportion for it's size,actually). For overall quality of life, Corvallis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area