U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 AM

3 posts, read 9,706 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm thinking of moving to Coos Bay for a job. I know that small towns are generally conservative. I am a liberal Democrat who doesn't believe in God. Are there others like me in Coos Bay? How religious is Coos Bay?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 PM

7 posts, read 26,444 times
Hi

I am also very liberal , I am from Europe and my husband from Eugene. I have lived here for 2 1/2 years and we have both hated it here.

Coos Bay is a very boring place( if you ask me) I have traveled in 25 countries, and lived in 5, lived in big cities from Copenhagen to London, to small towns from Italy to the US, and never been in a place I disliked as much as Coos Bay.

The nature is pretty here, but that is pretty much it. Lot of poor people, angry people( for some reason I have run in to a bunch of people who hated Euenge and Portland( They think it is way to liberal there) so if you are like me, very open, non religious and like to be green then honestly I think you might have a hard time here... There are some nice and friendly people but I would not say a lot of them. People also seem to be not very open here.

Yes I do not like Coos Bay, I think if you are young, hip and not into a lifestyle around lot of angry people and old folks then I would not choose to live in Coos Bay.

Go to a more nice place in Oregon, it is a beautiful state

Some of our friends came out here for a job, they lasted 6 months before the returned home to Micigan they simply did not like it here at all.

I have had lot of different religious people come and invite me to their church, I always nicely said that I was notr interrested, some would come back again and again, and I do not like that at all. I think it is a pain in the .... and religion should be a private thing, if I want I know where to go and join a religion.

All I can say we are finally moving away from here

There is one really nice place to eat and it is called Porta, it is italian the owner have been working in Seatle and Portland for years, it is pricey but absolutly delicious and very high quality. There is also cafe called the mediteranian cafe the food is relativly cheap and also good.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 PM

15,296 posts, read 14,709,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secular1983 View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of moving to Coos Bay for a job. I know that small towns are generally conservative. I am a liberal Democrat who doesn't believe in God. Are there others like me in Coos Bay? How religious is Coos Bay?
Oregon is not the Deep South. For most people in Oregon, religion is a subject of casual interest, easily ignored. Only 1/3 of the population of the state claims membership in any church. For decades, Oregon was the most unchurched state in America. Only recently has it been overtaken by Vermont, but that's not because Oregon is getting more religious, it's because Vermont is getting less.

You will probably get the usual collection of Jehova's Witnesses, Adventists and Mormons knocking on your door. Just tell them, "No thanks." They get that a lot.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
I moved to Coos Bay over 10 years ago and would not consider ever leaving. I've found the people very nice and it would be hard to find a prettier part of the Oregon coast. True, not much to do if you like to stay inside, but if you are an outdoor type person you'll never tire of the area. There is a lot more religion in the city than others have mentioned with churches of all denominations. Prices are high on most everything with housing prices on the average a bit low compared to most cities. Look at http://www.coos-bay.net for a good idea of the area. You surely can't say it's not pretty.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 AM

467 posts, read 1,092,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Oregon is not the Deep South. For most people in Oregon, religion is a subject of casual interest, easily ignored. Only 1/3 of the population of the state claims membership in any church. For decades, Oregon was the most unchurched state in America. Only recently has it been overtaken by Vermont, but that's not because Oregon is getting more religious, it's because Vermont is getting less.

You will probably get the usual collection of Jehova's Witnesses, Adventists and Mormons knocking on your door. Just tell them, "No thanks." They get that a lot.
Agreed. I have lived various places in Oregon and currently live in the south. I went years living in Oregon without being privy to one's religious lifestyle. Here, it's the first thing to roll off of someone's tongue.

If you're on the younger side, you may want to ask yourself if this job will offset the cons of living there. Do you thrive cultural diversity? Are you content with entertaing yourself outside (weather permitting)?

I personally find Coos Bay a dreadfully boring and aesthetically depressing town. I've spent several weekends there as a stop-over point on coastal trips, and have passed through a gazillion times. I've driven up and around the neighboorhoods, and it always left me with a 'meh'.

I realize the cost of living is a little higher and you're basing this around employment, but have you considered Eureka, Ca? If you must live in Oregon and on the coast, how about Brookings?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:06 PM

340 posts, read 1,345,282 times
Your first sentence says you're looking for a job. Then you say you don't believe in God. What are you trying to say here?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM

467 posts, read 1,092,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerfamily View Post
Your first sentence says you're looking for a job.
OP said:

Quote:
Hi,
I'm thinking of moving to Coos Bay for a job.
I'm reading this as a prospective job, but who knows, the OP hasn't clarified this yet in a response. And where does it state "looking"?

Quote:
Then you say you don't believe in God.
OP said:

Quote:
I am a liberal Democrat who doesn't believe in God. Are there others like me in Coos Bay? How religious is Coos Bay?
People generally relocate for employment. Given the title of the OP's thread, I'm guesstimating the OP is also putting out his/her "feelers" on the religious atmosphere of the area. No crime in that.

Quote:
What are you trying to say here?
And same could be asked of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area