U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 AM

3,970 posts, read 12,488,538 times

Advertisements

I like Eugene 'cause it doesn't pretend to be a big city, and doesn't pretend to be small-town either.

It is what it is, for lack of a better term.

It is quite boastful with the U of O, but quite modest in almost everything else.

The weather is the best of the northwest. Wet, yes, but rarely too cold or too snowy. Crazily fantastic summers. AC rarely needed.

Easy to get around. Traffic jams here are considered minor compared to Seattle and Portland.

And speaking of Portland, one hour and 40 minutes and you are in downtown PDX.

Cost of living is still below the norm.

The coast is just over an hour away.

The Cascades are just over an hour away.

It's green.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,823,211 times
Slug Queen » Blog Archive » SLUG QUEENs Spring into Action!

Yep! We have our very own slug queen!

Her majesty has her own Wikipedia page, too, of course.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM

2,300 posts, read 4,123,319 times
Hooray to strudel for creating this forum!

I haven't lived in Eugene since 1998, but I can tell you what I miss about the city:

The beautiful UO campus, with its wide range of diversity of thought and activities.
Frog - the joke man who sells his joke books near the UO bookstore (is he still there?)
Summer weather.
Un-self-consciousness about appearance, and a live-and-let-live attitude.
There was a video store that was off of W 28th (if I remember correctly) that had a great selection of old and obscure VHS titles. Flicks and Pics?
5th Street Market. Actually, all the small non-chain markets throughout the city.
Spencers Butte (minus the poison oak).
Good brewed coffee at several non-Starbucks locations (it's hard to get good brewed coffee.
Bijou Theater for the selection of movies (hopefully they upgraded their sound system!)
Bikeability.

p.s. Corvallis is a great town too.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Frog - the joke man who sells his joke books near the UO bookstore (is he still there?)
I have only ever seen Frog at the Saturday Market downtown on 8th and Oak during the Summers. We'll look for him in April - I wonder where he spends the rest of the year? My kids always buy a joke book from him when they see him. What a hoot of a character he is, a real Eugene community fixture.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:01 AM

31 posts, read 167,138 times
Default What I love

Delta Ponds. Lots of wild life viewing and fishing in the middle of a shopping area.

Willamette River: Making bridges necessary and providing a perfect place for everyone to easily cool off and play during the hot months. Year round fishing and fun kayaking for all levels.

Wildlife: The random turkeys who roam through our yard and taunt our dogs. The deer who stay just a few feet away from the house and who use the sidewalks at night. The random beavers and racoons who keep me awake earlier in the morning by stopping in the middle of the road and stare at me.

Bike Paths: Eugene is a very bike friendly place. I don't take advantage of it as much as I use to. But I appreciate that it's there and that it is used so much.

People: We moved here from Utah. You don't look people in the eye there, they see it as a threat. But here you look people in the eye so you can say hello and talk about random things. This happens every where in Eugene and I love it.

Saturday Market:
Best way to get local grown food and of course see the local hippies who aren't begging

Beer: I was a casual beer drinker, meaning I had one maybe once every couple months. But that was Utah beer. The amount of beer options in Eugene is stupid silly.

I could go on but to be honest until you live here you just won't understand. We came from a large city and this was a shock to us. We have since adjusted and LOVE LOVE love it.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,480,888 times
I grew up in Eugene, left and miss it all the time:

*saturday market (now you'll have something to do every Saturday)
*top-notch k-12 schools
*bike paths everywhere; honestly, you don't actually need a car unless the rain really bugs you-anyplace you want to go is within biking distance.
*greenest place I've ever been (and I've been all over)
*most stars I've ever seen in the royal blue sky
*saw a naked hippy skinny-dipping at the park once (a true Eugenian might see this as a plus-people are free)
*the Fifth St. Public Market (I remember it way back when...you used to be able to open the walls because they used to be part of a loading dock for the trains-its quadrupled in size since then, but it just gets better and better)
*the slug queen (long live the queen!)
*bed races
*real women with actual leg hair and pit hair! (it's not for me, but I respect it)
*actual food (I haven't eaten since 1995) and BTW: how many recipes are there for tofu?
*holey bagel
*the view from skinners butte
*amazon park
*the drive out fox hollow
*the UofO campus..great for a stroll, love the museum
*beer (need I say more?)
*yes, Prince Pucklers is the best ice cream in the world
*the Eugene celebration
*yeeah, there's not really a great mall, but some might consider that a plus. I'm just sayin'
*oh, and most amazing of all: the water is DELICIOUS! straight from the tap

Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 17,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strudel42 View Post
That's what I thought! Thanks, guys, for your comments. Sounds like an intriguing place.
So you made me curious about Slug Queen! Eugene seems like alot of fun!
Slug Queen » What is a SLUG Queen?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
I love Eugene, and the longer I live here, the more I love it!

We moved from the SF Bay Area, and I love that you can live only 10 minutes from the U of O but feel as though you are in the midst of farm country. We live right on the Willamette River on 45 acres surrounded by beautiful old white oaks with hanging moss. When we look out our windows, we see no one and yet everything is only minutes away.

I love how involved people are in the community. The library got one of the top ratings in the country in part because of how involved community members are. We have volunteers that put in thousands of hours a year into the library for nothing other than the pleasure of seeing an institution promoting reading prosper. I see the same at the humane society and so many other things. Even the businesses centered in Eugene seem to donate or participate a lot in charity events. A little bit of kindness to others goes a surprisingly long way, and I'm amazed at how often I see this all around me in Eugene.

People here are genuinely nice and want to help others. If you stop someone for directions, they'll try to help you. People will apologize or say excuse me if you're bumped. You have to be doing something pretty crazy to get honked at in traffic. People in stores actually try hard to find what you're looking for. People also work hard instead of treating their jobs like some kind of entitlement.

I love how vegetarian friendly it is. For a town of its size, we have a great number of options and surprisingly high quality food. We also get some nice quirky food. We have amazing brunch and desserts at NIB, wonderful waffles at Off the Waffle, great veggie mexican at La Oficina, good salads, pizza and pasta at Marche, etc. We know so many more vegetarians here than when we lived in the Bay Area despite the population difference. I also love the Vegetarian Supper Club, which is probably the best group we've ever joined - wonderful people, amazing food, great fun themes that change each month a la Iron Chef.

I love how much closer people are to their food. We free range chickens for eggs and used to raise dairy goats, and this is not out of the ordinary. Many farms are organic, and there is a big cultural emphasis on composting, vermiculture, learning more about growing your own fruits/veggies, etc. We also have a wonderful farmer's market!

I love the community theater at the Actor's Cabaret. You can have dinner and a show in a tiny little theater room that really makes it intimate, and the shows are great. We also get some wonderful musical performances at the Shedd and more mainstream productions at the Hult. I also love all the live music which is generally in small venues, so you don't get that blasting music, standing room only of big cities. Sam Bond's is one of my favorite venues in the world. Things here just feel more personal and intimate, kind of like the Cheers theme song.

I love all the outdoor festivals and events, from the Country Fair (one of the world's largest outdoor fairs that seems like you've entered a medieval market) to Art in the Garden to Black Sheep Festival.

I love that we have amazing wineries right around us, including King Estate.

I love the U of O craft center that offers fantastic seminars on all kinds of craft making that are very affordable.

I love how tolerant and open-minded people are. You don't hear a lot of ranting, and it's a good blend of liberal with still working hard and not taking things for granted.

I love how there is never any traffic. Every once in a while we encounter something that makes things take 5-10 minutes longer and we just laugh because we could never get anywhere that quickly in the Bay Area.

I love driving through Eugene and the surrounding areas and seeing so much nature and trees and green. It's just beautiful.

I love that even on a rainy day, it's rare that the sun won't visit even if for a brief time.

I love that everything grows here so beautifully and that you get a taste of all four seasons.

I love all the open areas and parks and that you are only an hour away from skiing or beaches. I also am constantly amazed at what great care the City takes of the tiny little areas you never notice - little pockets of roses under the freeways, beautifully manicured islands in the middle of roads. I don't know how they do it, but it's those tiny little things that bring a smile to the face as you drive around. And Pisgah and so many other parks are just wonderful.

I love the summers which are the most glorious in the world.

I love stepping into our backyard and picking our lunch or dinner.

I love all the artists and emphasis on art in the community.

I love how down to earth and non-showy people are here. I feel like living here makes you want to be a better and kinder person - the opposite of a city culture that is a "ME ME ME" culture.

I could go on and on, but I don't think we'll ever leave now that we've found it.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM

640 posts, read 1,480,888 times
jhl9s, you really got it right!

I now pronounce you a true Eugenian!
BTW: (and now you probably understand the answers to that age-old question: "why do Oregonians hate Californians?")

Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh9s View Post
I love how down to earth and non-showy people are here. I feel like living here makes you want to be a better and kinder person - the opposite of a city culture that is a "ME ME ME" culture.
I know exactly what you mean, and we love this, too. This is one reason we feel so happy to be raising our kids here in this different - in a positive way - sort of culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area