U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:54 AM

13 posts, read 30,745 times

Advertisements

I read in the news recently that the Mayor wants to spend $250,000 renaming Beltline as the Randy Pepe Highway, or something.

Does anyone feel the money would be better spent resurfacing some of the more appalingly pot-holed roads like 99 coming into Eugene from the NW?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:24 PM

233 posts, read 371,046 times
The Pape Family has given a devoted a huge amount of time to improving Oregon and Eugene. I have served on some boards with the Pape's and am always please by their continued ability and desire to help people. I think that Randy Pape should be honored and I hope that they can find a way to accomplish it. The money that they are talking about spending is a drop in the bucket compared with the money the Pape family has contributed to many many causes in Oregon. Sometimes it's good to give back to the people who give so much.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM

2,317 posts, read 7,190,744 times
I've never heard of that person. That is a total waste of money, especially considering the APPALLING condition that many of Eugene's streets are in.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:20 PM

6,061 posts, read 13,799,960 times
I think that people will call it the Beltline anyway, even if all that money is spent. I think the city should come up with a better way to honor the family who have given so much to our city. Also, I think that most people who give do so for the sake of giving, not for the wanting of something in return.

What about naming the new EWEB waterfront development in their honor instead?

Old 03-24-2010, 06:01 PM

I think the waterfront development name is a great idea. I don't think the family was looking for recognition, especially at the expense of the taxpayers. I think the family is trying to be gracious in a situation that thanks to our honorable governor is really going in the wrong direction.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Perhaps we should all write to the governor then - he might be unaware of new developments coming along which currently have no name which might be better suitable for honoring the family (and a better use of taxpayer money).

I don't like it when people say "$250K (or whatever the amount is for that particular idea) is just a drop in the bucket compared to... blah blah blah..." I'm thinking... $250K!!!!! That's a house for a homeless family! That's resources for schools! That's salaries for city workers they keep talking of having to lay off due to budget cuts! That's money for college kids who can't afford to go! That's a lot of potholes fixed! $250K is more than just a drop in the bucket. For some people it is the bucket!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM

I didn't make the drop in the bucket comment meaning that it should not be questioned and that they should spend taxpayer money. I simply don't think most people are aware of the amount of money, resources and time that the Pape family directly and indirectly had dedicated to the people of Oregon. I was comparing the Pape family efforts to the $250k, not in anyway justifying that amount to change the signage.

I just think that the entire idea has gotten so out of hand. I can't imagine that the Pape family feels good about all of this and that makes me sad. Every member of the Pape family that I have met has been gracious and giving so this turmoil must be causing a lot of grief and embarrassment for them.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:48 PM

That's sad. I hope they don't feel embarrassed about all this. I don't know much about them but I have heard they are good, good people. Well then, maybe we should all write letters to the Pape family thanking them while we're busy writing our letters to our Governor telling him to stop the unnecessary spending, too. And I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that little doodad above the e, but I know the family has one.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:48 PM

4,252 posts, read 6,464,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
And I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that little doodad above the e, but I know the family has one.
Do you mean this?: é

If you have Windows, go to Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map. When you are in Character Map you can copy any special symbol and paste it into your application. For example: ¥, Ö, ɸ, ©.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM

13 posts, read 30,745 times
I like the EWEB idea. The thing has no name yet, so let's name that after Randy.

I hate the stupid accent, sorry Pape family, and it's going to get dropped by most people who are forced to use the new name, because most computers don't make it easy to get the accent. Why isn't it just mapped to alt+e ?

I am also sorry the Pape family are embarrassed by the situation. If they graciously told the governor NOT to rename one of Eugene/Springfield's biggest and busiest roads but to think of some other way to Honor Randy, the whole sad mess might go away.

Maybe a Randy Pape Pothole Fixing Trust would be a good idea. That was every time I drove down a Eugene/Springfield road that didn't rattle my teeth I'd say a little blessing to Randy.

I can't help feeling if the Governor lived in Eugene he would not have even suggested renaming Beltline. To him it's just another stretch of road he doesn't drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: